Heater broken..help!

Hi. We recently moved into a new house in the Dallas area, and are in the middle of decorating. We've had a few problems though, so could do with some help. The main problem is the heater, there's something wrong with it and the previous tenanats advised us to get a new one as they've had it repaired a number of times but without success. We're new to the area so the only way to find a company is by searching the net...Problem is, there are many of them like this one for example, but before I sign up to anything I thought I'd ask on here as I prefer to go with somewhere I know is reliable. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice maybe? Would really help, thank you!

What kind of heater is it?

Oil or gas hot air (if so is there central air attached), oil or gas forced hot water, an older steam boiler?

If it's a forced hot air system I would suggest replacing it. If it's a hot air system all you have to do is swap out the furnace and the new super efficient gas furnaces are available for short money depending on size, I just bought a 55K BTU 96% efficient gas furnace for under 1500 bucks.

Wow, ok so I had no idea that my question would spark such a heated debate. Going back to the heating, it's a Lennox Furnace, number G12D-110...sometimes the burner will not light. I've been asking around and I've got different numbers to contact so I'm going to see where they offer the best price etc. and go for it! Thanks for the advice tho, it really helped...and I didn't want to stir up any trouble. haha

You shouldn't take a faulty heater lightly (no pun intended). Faulty heaters, i.e. the burner will not light, can be easily fixed - it's usually a swap out of a part, minimal cost. Not worth risking burning the house down, freezing on cold nights.
Get it fixed ASAP is the best advice I can give.

Wow, ok so I had no idea that my question would spark such a heated debate. Going back to the heating, it's a Lennox Furnace, number G12D-110...sometimes the burner will not light. I've been asking around and I've got different numbers to contact so I'm going to see where they offer the best price etc. and go for it! Thanks for the advice tho, it really helped...and I didn't want to stir up any trouble. haha

You didnt say how old it was.
If they've tried to get it fixed numerous times without joy,I'd say it's time for a new one.
It's more likely they tried to get it fixed numerous times and were told it was trashed numerous times.
As far as who to contact about getting it fixed goes. Just look locally for a company thats been in business for a long time and check em out at the BBB.
Oh and be sure you mention that you have another guy or two coming out to give you an estimate so he wont try and jack you.

Forum List

Back