Here's a tip: Don't

Is that how a ninja calls the wambulance?

How's that now? Who has declared at least three times now that he is tucking tail and slinking away on his belly? Oh yeah, that would be you.

Watching Unks meltdown is worth every moment wasted reading this thread.

Please, proceed

Wow, you're really dragging out your death scene here. Do you do Shakespeare?

THE PRICE HIKE

""We felt it was cumbersome and confusing.” As such, Yasuda does not have a space on its receipt for any gratuity.
“We just take tipping out of the equation,” he says.
How have customers reacted? After a bit of initial surprise among regular guests, “they don’t think twice about it,” says Rosenberg, who’s seen no change in customer volumes since the changeover. One gentleman, per Rosenberg, quipped that he’d now order 20% more sushi now that tipping is no longer required.
The restaurant’s prices, of course, are now higher than they would be otherwise so Yasuda can continue to provide employees “with a good salary,” Rosernberg says. "

Hopefully, other establishments will follow suit.

Oh, look who's still here. How's all that "leaving now" treatin' ya? I hope you don't get too many scrapes on your belly.

Look at the nincompoops in this thread that preach about wanting to pay more for their meal so they don't have to tip ... And the management can pay higher wages.

It isn't the people who have worked for tips … Because people like me know you can make a hell of a lot more money from tips than from wages.
It is people who want to take the opportunity away from those who perform better to be compensated better than their counterparts.
I mean face it … Whether a tip or an increased price … It is the same money with the exception of who you give it to and exactly how much you decide to tip.

If you don't like the tipping … Don't tip … But certainly don't screw it up for the people who give good service and get rewarded for their efforts because you want to support redistribution through wages rather than effort and talent.

Right on ^^^^^^^^^

Interesting article Unk, I liked it

http://themattwalshblog.com/2013/11/23/an-open-letter-to-the-tyrants-who-dont-leave-tips/

He makes an excellent point. Does this sound ummmmm

Of course, the main justification offered by non-tippers is not so much based on principle as it is on punishment. They say they will not tip when the service is “bad.” But you’ll notice that these people somehow encounter “bad” service almost every time they go out to eat. What an odd thing. They must be cursed.

Last edited:

Not so interesting, and has nothing to do with this discussion. Are you and your straw man trying to change the subject because you have so clearly run out of anything to say on this topic?

Of course then there's this from the same link

I often hear that the owners of the restaurants should pay a decent wage and then nobody would have to tip. Why should YOU have to pay the server’s wage, you insist.

Good point. Let’s require all restaurant owners to pay their wait staff, what, like 12 – 15 dollars an hour? Yes, now we don’t have to tip and everyone is ha–

Oh. Wait. What’s this? All of prices on the menu just doubled? No more 2 for 20 deals? No more free refills? No more 9 dollar burgers and 12 dollar steaks? No more obscenely humungous portion sizes?

What’s going on here? You’re telling me that the financial resources of the restaurant’s owners are finite, and a massive increase in operating costs must be logically offset by a hike in prices and a reduction in services?

Oh no! Now my favorite joints are closing earlier! Hold on — no more happy hour?!

This has gone too far.

I want good food, low prices, huge portions, unlimited refills, happy hour special, fast service AND I don’t want to be expected to tip! Kindly point me to the wormhole that will transport me to the dimension where such a thing is possible.

Of course there will be higher prices when owners don't pay their staff $2.50/hr. This has been covered over and over and over here. Been hittin' the 'shine a little early today, champ?

Of course there will be higher prices when owners don't pay their staff $2.50/hr. This has been covered over and over and over here. Been hittin' the 'shine a little early today, champ?

Unkotare. Prices will naturally increase

We AGREE to that point.

The best argument I've heard against tipping is that somehow this price is a secret to the customer, a hidden charge. Really, who, with any upbringing in the real world can truly believe that?

I wish the restaurants in your link the best of luck. They will need it, but they will have a real battle with costs. In that business, given the need to produce a decent bottom line quickly, they will be severely tested. The bankers will be watching very closely.

But if you think you can eliminate that system, and have Japan quality service, you are wrong and crazy. You can't watch every single server, and monitor all service. You can't make sure people get the highest quality service at all times. Not possible.

Of course it's possible. Service used to be much better here and it could be again easily enough.

Define 'here'? The US? It is good in places that tip.

So how do you propose to enforce quality service? .

With all the technology and social media at our disposal it would be simpler now than it has ever been.

That was the most stupid response from you yet.

So you are manager at a restaurant and the way you plan to make sure your waiters are providing great service..... is with Twitter or Facebook?

Really? That's your brilliant response? You need to either clarify that response, or you have officially discredited yourself from your own conversation.

We AGREE to that point.

The best argument I've heard against tipping is that somehow this price is a secret to the customer, a hidden charge.

Why would that be a good argument?

So how do you propose to enforce quality service? .

With all the technology and social media at our disposal it would be simpler now than it has ever been.

That was the most stupid response from you yet.

So you are manager at a restaurant and the way you plan to make sure your waiters are providing great service..... is with Twitter or Facebook?

Did I say that? There are many, many ways to use various technologies and/or social media (to say nothing of all sorts of old-fashioned methods) as part of the responsibility to receive and respond to customer feedback. Is it too difficult a concept for you?

But if you think you can eliminate that system, and have Japan quality service, you are wrong and crazy. You can't watch every single server, and monitor all service. You can't make sure people get the highest quality service at all times. Not possible.

Of course it's possible. Service used to be much better here and it could be again easily enough.

Define 'here'? The US? It is good in places that tip.

I've already provided links to places in the US that provide top service and do not accept tips.

I wish the restaurants in your link the best of luck. They will need it, but they will have a real battle with costs.

They're doing great. If more establishments followed suit, they would quickly put an end to the archaic practice of tipping.

We AGREE to that point.

The best argument I've heard against tipping is that somehow this price is a secret to the customer, a hidden charge.

Why would that be a good argument?

It's not, so the argument seems weak.

Forum List

Back