Here’s how you get a college degree without forcing other people to pay for it….

What is your degree in?
Don't have one but I do have enough college credits for 2 degrees I just never hit the residency requirements at any of the colleges I took courses at.

I started my own business when I was 20 I took courses that were directly beneficial to my business for the next 15 years or so. In fact I still take 2 or 3 courses a year because I would rather be a life long learner than some barista with a degree.

As a nation, we need to address the issue of affordability to get a college degree.

College used to be nearly free. My older sisters went to the University of Massachusetts Boston in the mid-1970s, when tuition and fees for in-state residents were about $600 a year. To be clear, that $600 paid for an entire year of coursework, not just for a single class. In today’s dollars (after accounting for inflation) that is equivalent to $3,605. Yet by 2022, in-state residents paid nearly $16,000 in tuition and fees to go to UMass Boston.

In 1970, it would have taken 375 hours at the Massachusetts hourly minimum wage of $1.60 to earn the $600 required to attend UMass. Those hours easily fit into a summer of work or a part-time job during the school year.

By contrast, today it would take three times as long (over 1,100 hours!) at the state minimum wage of $14.25 to earn the $16,000 required to attend UMass. In some other states, where the minimum wage is $7.25 but the tuition rate is similar, this calculation looks much worse.

Don't have one but I do have enough college credits for 2 degrees I just never hit the residency requirements at any of the colleges I took courses at.

I started my own business when I was 20 I took courses that were directly beneficial to my business for the next 15 years or so. In fact I still take 2 or 3 courses a year because I would rather be a life long learner than some barista with a degree.

Because of course, that is what most degree's go for.

As a nation, we need to address the issue of affordability to get a college degree.

College used to be nearly free. My older sisters went to the University of Massachusetts Boston in the mid-1970s, when tuition and fees for in-state residents were about $600 a year. To be clear, that $600 paid for an entire year of coursework, not just for a single class. In today’s dollars (after accounting for inflation) that is equivalent to $3,605. Yet by 2022, in-state residents paid nearly $16,000 in tuition and fees to go to UMass Boston.

In 1970, it would have taken 375 hours at the Massachusetts hourly minimum wage of $1.60 to earn the $600 required to attend UMass. Those hours easily fit into a summer of work or a part-time job during the school year.

By contrast, today it would take three times as long (over 1,100 hours!) at the state minimum wage of $14.25 to earn the $16,000 required to attend UMass. In some other states, where the minimum wage is $7.25 but the tuition rate is similar, this calculation looks much worse.

Tuition rates have skyrocketed because of the everyone needs to go to college bullshit that has been pushed on people.

A false demand was created by giving guaranteed loans to people. As I said barley over 50% of all college freshmen actually graduate.

I meant to address this before. A Pell Grant is no different than covering some higher education costs. Who do you think pays for these grants?
Pell Grants are for lower-income. I have no problem helping poorer people, who are good students, get a little help.

The problem comes in when kids from middle-class families, with college-educated parents, borrow $40,000 to become engineers or architects, are earning close to $100,000 by the time they’re 30 (with a lifetime of a six-figure salary ahead of them), and expect the working class to pay off their loan.

P.S. Responsible middle class parents should put aside at least SOMETHING toward their kid’s education.

You realize half the reason college costs increase is because of the availability and guarantee of student loans, right?
But i bet you support the fed gov doing that. While also bitching about the effects of it.

Tuition rates have skyrocketed because of the everyone needs to go to college bullshit that has been pushed on people.

And prices of everything is going up because of the years we have spent pumping up markets in general.

A false demand was created by giving guaranteed loans to people. As I said barley over 50% of all college freshmen actually graduate.

Why do you suppose we have no one calling for the end of Pell Grants?

And prices of everything is going up because of the years we have spent pumping up markets in general.

Why do you suppose we have no one calling for the end of Pell Grants?
Because they'll be called elitists. I grew up poorer than dirt poor and didn't need to take government charity for my education

If you are poor join the national guard and get free tuition at a state school at least then you'll have worked for your tuition.

Pell Grants are for lower-income. I have no problem helping poorer people, who are good students, get a little help.

The problem comes in when kids from middle-class families, with college-educated parents, borrow $40,000 to become engineers or architects, are earning close to $100,000 by the time they’re 30 (with a lifetime of a six-figure salary ahead of them), and expect the working class to pay off their loan.

P.S. Responsible middle class parents should put aside at least SOMETHING toward their kid’s education.

Why no complaint about people like Jamie Dimon getting bailed out so often?

A degree to an employer is a sign a person can follow through and work towards something. Many a business isn't as concerned over a specific degree but that you were able to obtain one.

10 CEOs Who Prove Your Liberal Arts Degree Isn't Worthless

But it has the word "liberal" in it so it must be bad.
Too bad barely half of all college freshmen actually graduate. That alone should tell you we are doing something wrong.

So now I'm what a conservative?

Funny that I have some people calling me a wacko lefty and others calling me a Trumper when in actuality I am neither. Didn't all your time in college getting your degree teach you that you don't have to think only 2 dimensions?

I'm not sure what I didn't fathom.
/----/ Try this then.
1661863324976.png

Too bad barely half of all college freshmen actually graduate. That alone should tell you we are doing something wrong.

So now I'm what a conservative?

Funny that I have some people calling me a wacko lefty and others calling me a Trumper when in actuality I am neither. Didn't all your time in college getting your degree teach you that you don't have to think only 2 dimensions?

I didn't call you anything. You are free to correct me why you would misrepresent a worth of a degree.

You need to learn the difference between average and median
I know the difference….then point remains. About half the people are not college-material, which explains why - of those who DO attempt college - 40% don’t finish. (And that doesn’t include all the mediocre high school students who don’t attempt it in the first place.)

I know the difference….then point remains. About half the people are not college-material, which explains why - of those who DO attempt college - 40% don’t finish. (And that doesn’t include all the mediocre high school students who don’t attempt it in the first place.)
You obviously don't since you said the average IQ was 100 and that meant half of the people have an IQ lower than 100.

And it's more like 47% that don't graduate.

I agree with the push to send everyone to college has made the problem much worse, but there has always been the low amount that actually graduate.

At my freshman orientation at UF in 1982 they told us to look left and look right and in a year those two people would be gone.

Forum List

Back