How can we see the moon if it's so far away?

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
Why do you think there is a “limit” to the distance you can see? Light can travel pretty much forever, if nothing gets in the way to block it. So why would you NOT see the Moon? It’s closer to us than the Sun or the five visible planets, and we can see those too. We can see stars that are TRILLIONS of miles away. So what would stop us from seeing the Moon? The light from the Moon can travel straight to your eyes, even from a quarter of a million miles away. What’s blocking it?

I can't see the moon now because I'm in a room in a building during the daylight hours.

Why do you think there is a “limit” to the distance you can see? Light can travel pretty much forever, if nothing gets in the way to block it. So why would you NOT see the Moon? It’s closer to us than the Sun or the five visible planets, and we can see those too. We can see stars that are TRILLIONS of miles away. So what would stop us from seeing the Moon? The light from the Moon can travel straight to your eyes, even from a quarter of a million miles away. What’s blocking it?

When you look up at the stars, the light you are seeing takes many years to make it to your field of vision. You can see detail on the moon with the naked eye because it's so close. You can't see that detail on let's say..Mars. You can discern the planet is red..but that's about it.

It takes approximately 1.28 seconds for light to travel from the moon to Earth. It takes approximately 8 minutes for light to travel from the sun to the moon before that light is reflected to the Earth.

The super duper high energy photons from 13 billion years ago are still around ... they're down to microwave intensities now, it's been that long ... that's what we see from 120,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 meters ... and 13 billion years isn't all that far, it takes light a trillion years to cover a trillion light-years ... so we need to be patent patient...

Most astronomers agree that the most distant thing a person with excellent vision but without a telescope can see is the huge Andromeda Galaxy which is about two and one half million light years away.

Most astronomers agree that the most distant thing a person with excellent vision but without a telescope can see is the huge Andromeda Galaxy which is about two and one half million light years away.
In areas of no light pollution, and after you let your eyes become adjusted to the dark, where it appears
as a small, insignificant grey smudge.
But if you can do it, it's still pretty cool thinking about what you are seeing.

The moon is always up there, regardless of whether or not we are looking at it. Its orbit around Earth means that the same side of the Moon faces us all the time; this phenomenon is known as tidal locking.

This means that although our view of it may change depending on where we are in relation to its position in space, its presence remains constant and ever-present throughout our lives.

It may seem impossible to see the moon without the sun, but with a little bit of imagination and some luck, you can still catch a glimpse! Even when it's dark outside and no sun is in sight, look up at night sky - you might just be able to make out that bright white disc.

Who knows? Maybe if we all wish hard enough for sunshine during those cloudy days, we'd get an extra special surprise: the moon shining brightly even when there's no sun around!

240px-Supermoon_Nov-14-2016-minneapolis.jpg

Edit: Big thanks to an online alternative AI( it's free, just some ads ). lol. :)

When I was a dumb kid I once stated up all night wondering where the sun went at nighttime. Then it dawned on me.

Forum List

Back