How come Republicans won't share their plan for growing the economy?

R

rdean

Isn't that curious? It is the only way to pay down the debt.

Their plan is to lower taxes. Never, ever worked in a bad economy. But that is the plan.

Cut spending and taxes and let the confidence fairies do the rest. I kid you not. That and expansionary austerity. Did I mention cut taxes? Oh, and pay off debt, if it doesn't get in the way of cutting taxes. And maybe redistribute income to hedge fund managers. And financial industry deregulation. Have I mentioned cutting taxes?

Cut spending and taxes and let the confidence fairies do the rest. I kid you not. That and expansionary austerity. Did I mention cut taxes? Oh, and pay off debt, if it doesn't get in the way of cutting taxes. And maybe redistribute income to hedge fund managers. And financial industry deregulation. Have I mentioned cutting taxes?
Yup. The two santa clause plan. Worked up an increase in the deficit, and resultant increases in the national debt. So, now they push cutting taxes, and spending. Funny that the american public is so easy to con.

It's funny. It's like they go looking for the worst possible policies and those are the ones they choose. Shovel money to the already rich. Cut the minimum wage. Take away benefits.

And the things they are against, education, rebuilding an old and ailing infrastructure, smart regulations that protect the consumer. Medical bills are the number one cause of bankruptcy and they want to cut health care.

They claim they are for small business, but small business sees "food stamps" as a business subsidy since they pay less and perhaps get another non skilled worker.

But they will defend Republicans in the house getting millions in farm subsidies.

It's like they look at two bags. Which one do they want to eat, the bag of chocolate or the bag of dog crap? Then they choose the dog crap and complain about having to eat "dog crap".

Yup. The two santa clause plan. Worked up an increase in the deficit, and resultant increases in the national debt. So, now they push cutting taxes, and spending. Funny that the american public is so easy to con.

Speaking of debt, what is acceptable? I remember when people complained about 250 billion. Sometime in the 80's I think it was. Then from a quarter trillion it got to 3 trillion then 6, all the way to now 17 or so trillion. So now this 250 billion multiplied 68 times to the present (if my math is correct, 4x17) and the end times haven't arrived yet. Numbers just get bigger. So does GDP and stock market numbers. Just asking.

Speaking of debt, what is acceptable? I remember when people complained about 250 billion. Sometime in the 80's I think it was. Then from a quarter trillion it got to 3 trillion then 6, all the way to now 17 or so trillion. So now this 250 billion multiplied 68 times to the present (if my math is correct, 4x17) and the end times haven't arrived yet. Numbers just get bigger. So does GDP and stock market numbers. Just asking.
The only problem with increasing national debt is the interest we pay on it. And that number has been going down for several years. It is not a problem of much interest. What the problem is, of course, is the unemployment rate. Which needs to see measures taken that our republican congress members block at every opportunity. With full employment, the deficit keeps going down, and the national debt keeps going down as a percent of gnp. Simple enough. And provable by both economic theory economic history.

The only problem with increasing national debt is the interest we pay on it. And that number has been going down for several years. It is not a problem of much interest. What the problem is, of course, is the unemployment rate. Which needs to see measures taken that our republican congress members block at every opportunity. With full employment, the deficit keeps going down, and the national debt keeps going down as a percent of gnp. Simple enough. And provable by both economic theory economic history.

gnp, that's a term I haven't seen in a long time, but thanks for clarifying things.

Very good question. The best way to look at deficits and debt is relative to the size of the economy. Usually this is done by looking at a number as a percentage of real (i.e. inflation adjusted) GDP. Right now the deficit and public debt are both falling in terms of real GDP. Sometimes this has been referred to as "the burden of the debt" but that term was misleading to begin with and has become infrequent. Currently if the deficit were kept in the range of $200--250 billion, the ratio of real debt to GDP would stay the same or fall. That is often called the "sustainable non-accelerating price level" of the ratio.

All of this is best taken with a shot of good whiskey. Enjoy.

Forum List

Back