How do you define terrorism

Timmy

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2015
Just wondering . Apparently it's when "a Muslim
Kills people ".

Lots of threads listing terrier attacks in the us but they only seem to include the crazy muslim guys

That kid in Charlston who killed 9 black folks in a church . Guess that's NOT terrorism .

Maybe if u counted all these crazy shooting , we couldn't freak over stuff happening in France .

Kills people ".

Lots of threads listing terrier attacks in the us but they only seem to include the crazy muslim guys

That kid in Charlston who killed 9 black folks in a church . Guess that's NOT terrorism .

Maybe if u counted all these crazy shooting , we couldn't freak over stuff happening in France .
You've asked a good question.

While I'm not aware of any formal definition I will assume the word "terrorism" refers to politically motivated acts of violence while mass killings such as the church shooting you mentioned are examples of psychopathic behavior.

If there is a more formal distinction I will appreciate being informed of it.

Kills people ".

While I'm not aware of any formal definition I will assume the word "terrorism" refers to politically motivated acts of violence while mass killings such as the church shooting you mentioned are examples of psychopathic behavior.

But the kid was shooting in an attempt to start a race war . How is that not politically motivated ?

I like to use this definition found in the US code.
18 U.S. Code § 2331 - Definitions
As used in this chapter—
(1)the term “international terrorism” means activities that—
(A)
involve violent acts or acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State, or that would be a criminal violation if committed within the jurisdiction of the United States or of any State;
(B)appear to be intended—
(i)
to intimidate or coerce a civilian population;
(ii)
to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or
(iii)
to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping; and
(C)
occur primarily outside the territorial jurisdiction of the United States, or transcend national boundaries in terms of the means by which they are accomplished, the persons they appear intended to intimidate or coerce, or the locale in which their perpetrators operate or seek asylum;
(2)
the term “national of the United States” has the meaning given such term in section 101(a)(22) of the Immigration and Nationality Act;
(3)
the term “person” means any individual or entity capable of holding a legal or beneficial interest in property;
(4)the term “act of war” means any act occurring in the course of—
(A)
declared war;
(B)
armed conflict, whether or not war has been declared, between two or more nations; or
(C)
armed conflict between military forces of any origin; and
(5)the term “domestic terrorism” means activities that—
(A)
involve acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State;
(B)appear to be intended—
(i)
to intimidate or coerce a civilian population;
(ii)
to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or
(iii)
to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping; and
(C)
occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the United States.

According to the agency, the CIA definition of “terrorism” is “premeditated, politically motivated violence perpetrated against noncombatant targets by subnational groups or clandestine agents.”
Google

The Oxford Dictionary defines it as
The use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.
terrorism: definition of terrorism in Oxford dictionary (American English) (US)

The church shooter was psychotic, but his intention was to instigate a race war, and that is unquestionably included in either definition.

When I was in the Navy the definition of terrorism included the person or persons belonging to a terrorist organization. Since Obama took over that part of the definition has been dropped. That of course makes it easier to classify actions such as the Charleston shooting as an act of terrorism when it obviously isn't one.

Kills people ".

But the kid was shooting in an attempt to start a race war . How is that not politically motivated ?
It was racially motivated. I don't think he was after fear, he wanted to lash out and kill people. As far as I know the kid was a loner. There was no chance of a race war. Same with a black attacking whites. When you have an organization behind you to continue the cause then the threat is there.

He wanted to start a race war. It makes no difference if what he wanted was impossible. The terrorists want a world wide Caliphate. Their goal is no more possible than Root's but that doesn't make what they did any less terrorism.

It gets sticky when there are acts against colonial or invading powers by native populations.

Kills people ".

Stillman-Hiroshima-690.jpg

911-september-11th-attacks.jpg

images

The ft hood guy was just as nuts as church shooter .

And how sane can u be if you are blowing yourself up!?

Forum List

Back