how important should the knowledge of foreign languages be for a good education?

how important?

• Total voters
I think everyone who comes here should learn English.
I also think that everyone who sneaks into the country should #1 have a job, #2 never qualify for government benefits, #3 never have the right to vote.
it is not foreigners that i have in mind …

i suggest ….

French
Spanish
German

and others …

It depends. Not one is an expert at everything.

It is important for people that travel and need to communicate with people that speak other languages. For people that don't, it's not important.

With the influx of Spanish speaking people, I hear it spoken more and more. There are even some new radio stations all Spanish. Newcomers had better learn English though unless they want to live separate.

I consider it a blessing if you can speak multiple languages. Knowing different languages opens up doors to alternate ways of thinking and expressing yourself. It has been written that people who speak multiple languages are less likely to have dementia or Alzheimer's Disease. I have taken French, Spanish, and Italian. I think foreign language instruction should be taught in elementary and high schools. Where I grew up French was taught as a second language.

I do fairly well with German and Spanish. My wife learned Spanish when she was very young. Two kids also took Spanish, and both served in the Army where it helped. My oldest daughter is fluent in ASL which helped her when she worked for TSA and now as a Paramedic.

what do you think?

how important?
Better to become proficient in one's native language, including spelling, grammar, and composition, first. This is sadly lacking in today's grads. It is so common in these forums that most have stopped trying to correct those posts that demonstrate this failure.

Forum List

Back