How the American Middle Class Lost the Republic; Can it Be Taken Back?

Will the middle class ever regain control of the US political system?

• No, it was never lost

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, because it is a better form of politics

• I dunno

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
This is part of a response to another post in a different thread and I thought it merited a separate thread.

First let's define what the 'middle class' is. In the Old World, 'middle class' meant anyone who was not a noble and yet owned significant capital in the form of businesses, etc. This is what the Marxists refer to as the bourgeois and not what Americans think of as middle class, which makes a lot of young radicals look stupid when they use bourgeois to apply to doctors, lawyers and cooks, lol.

I think this Wiki article on the topic is fairly helpful.
American middle class - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My own concept I go by is more based on function rather than income, that meaning the middle class is between the upper class who do not have to work to make a living and can live very comfortably off investments, trusts and that sort of thing, and the working poor and poverty stricken on the opposite end of the scale.

This is basically all the degreed white collar workers at the top end, doctors, lawyers, scholars, etc to the lower end of skilled tradesmen and managerial professions.

Statistically I don't think it is valid to simply assign a specific level of income to define the bounds between the upper, middle and lower classes. I look at it this way; those who do not have to work to live very comfortably in homes worth seven digits, full time servants, etc, we are talking about the top 1% of income earners are the upper class, and the working poor are those below average income levels, i.e. the bottom 50% are the lower class.

For our purposes the following tax revenue data from income brackets is very useful. It shows the total taxes paid after credits, not what they are supposed to pay in theory, which is most often used by those who defend the rich, but is the total of what they ACTUALLY pay.

Summary of Latest Federal Individual Income Tax Data | Tax Foundation

If you look at the data for 2009, the top 1% paid $318 billion in federal taxes, while the middle class (> 1%, < 50% income bracket) paid $528 billion ($846 billion- $318 billion), almost twice what the upper class or rich people paid.

I hope that is helpful. We middle class Americans have long been the strength of our nation. From native born tradesmen to hard working upwardly mobile immigrants, we have long paid the most in taxes and held the reigns of government by dominance of the political system. In part this necessitated laws that kept the wealthy and corporations from buying elections, but those laws have been gutted and now the corporate money and the extremely wealthy like Soros and the Koch brothers own our political system since the Citizens United ruling in 2010.

Campaign finance in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Campaign finance law in the United States changed drastically in the wake of two 2010 judicial opinions: the Supreme Court&#8217;s decision in Citizens United v. FEC and the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals decision in SpeechNow.org v. FEC.[42] According to a 2011 Congressional Research Service report, these two decisions constitute &#8220;the most fundamental changes to campaign finance law in decades.&#8221; [43]

Citizens United struck down, on free speech grounds, the limits on the ability of organizations that accepted corporate or union money from running electioneering communications. The Court reasoned that the restrictions permitted by Buckley were justified based on avoiding corruption or the appearance of corruption, and that this rationale did not apply to corporate donations to independent organizations. Citizens United overruled the 1990 case Austin v. Michigan Chamber of Commerce, in which the Supreme Court upheld the Michigan Campaign Finance Act, which prohibited corporations from using treasury money to support or oppose candidates in elections.

Two months later, a unanimous nine-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit decided SpeechNow, which relied on Citizens United to hold that Congress could not limit donations to organizations that only made independent expenditures, that is, expenditures that were &#8220;uncoordinated&#8221; with a candidate&#8217;s campaign. These decisions led to the rise of &#8220;independent-expenditure only&#8221; PACs, commonly known as &#8220;Super PACs.&#8221; Super PACs, under Citizens United and SpeechNow, can raise unlimited funds from individual and corporate donors and use those funds for electioneering advertisements, provided that the Super PAC does not coordinate with a candidate.

It is quite simple to avoid 'coordination' and it is also ambiguous enough to allow the continued use of laws against such coordination to ensnare individuals the oligarchy does not like.

This is how the GOP ended up with a loser like Mitt Romney as its presidential candidate in 2012. The Wall Street bankers gave funds to a so-called independent finance group that exclusively attacked Romney's opponents and dragged them down in the polls one at a time till only Romney was left and pretty much became the default candidate.

Political action committee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2012 Election[edit]

Super PACs may support particular candidacies. In the 2012 presidential election, Super PACs played a major role, spending more than the candidates' election campaigns in the Republican primaries.[25] As of early April 2012, Restore Our Future&#8212;a Super PAC usually described as having been created to help Mitt Romney's presidential campaign&#8212;had spent $40 million. Winning Our Future (a pro&#8211;Newt Gingrich group) spent $16 million.[not in citation given][19] Some Super PACs are run or advised by a candidate's former staff or associates.[26]

In the 2012 election campaign, most of the money given to super PACs came from wealthy individuals, not corporations.[25] According to data from the Center for Responsive Politics, the top 100 individual super PAC donors in 2011&#8211;2012 made up just 3.7% of contributors, but accounted for more than 80% of the total money raised,[27] while less than 0.5% of the money given to &#8220;the most active Super PACs&#8221; was donated by publicly traded corporations.[28] Super PACs have been criticized for relying heavily on negative ads.[29]

As of February 2012, according to Center for Responsive Politics, 313 groups organized as Super PACs had received $98,650,993 and spent $46,191,479. This means early in the 2012 election cycle, PACs had already greatly exceeded total receipts of 2008. The leading Super PAC on its own raised more money than the combined total spent by the top 9 PACS in the 2008 cycle.[30]

We have let the Republic's political system be bought, literally bought, by the top 1% and corporations they control. These people largely do not have the same values as middle class Americans, generally hate and despise us and will abuse the hell out of our government on a level exponentially worse than anything the old Democratic patronage system ever did.

Last edited:
Lordy, lordy. Yah, you guys are a hoot. Of course we can win it back. Just give the very wealthy more tax breaks. And make sure that there is no health insurance unless you work for a very large corperation. Kick the little brats out of school after the 8th grade, so they can become productive workers instead of educated people. After all, everyone realizes that well educated people tend to be liberal. Cut off all funding to R and D. After all, China is doing major funding there, why should we?

The Real GOP plan.

Lordy, lordy. Yah, you guys are a hoot. Of course we can win it back. Just give the very wealthy more tax breaks. And make sure that there is no health insurance unless you work for a very large corperation. Kick the little brats out of school after the 8th grade, so they can become productive workers instead of educated people. After all, everyone realizes that well educated people tend to be liberal. Cut off all funding to R and D. After all, China is doing major funding there, why should we?

The Real GOP plan.

Dude, I am talking about the MIDDLE CLASS not the GOP.

Jesus, can you liberals ever get around your partisan bias on EVERY TOPIC?

For Christ's sake, OR, I bet you are middle class too.

Why cant you see how we have been divided against ourselves with the current two party system that is essentiall a duopoly controlled by the rich?

i believe it is possible, but we have to defeat the rampant liberal/communism first. :up:

By that you mean tip the scale more to the "capitalist"? Privatize government services and assets for more "efficiency"? (I like ""s a lot.)

Middle income isn't a destination, it is a waypoint.

I wish more Americans understood that striving for mediocrity is for the mediocre.

America wasn't built by uninspired efforts and conventional thinking.

The Real GOP plan.

Why cant you see how we have been divided against ourselves with the current two party system that is essentiall a duopoly controlled by the rich?

That's exactly what the Republicans want you to think.

i believe it is possible, but we have to defeat the rampant liberal/communism first. :up:

By that you mean tip the scale more to the "capitalist"? Privatize government services and assets for more "efficiency"? (I like ""s a lot.)

How about by breaking up the duopoly first that is controlled by the wealthy?

There is no real choice any more between the Democans and Republocrats; they are both sock puppets for the rich that own both.

House Speaker Boner giving Obama a blank check on the budget ceiling SUSPENSION proves this beyond doubt.

For you maybe, but not everyone wants to live their lives constantly chasing the US dollar.

I wish more Americans understood that striving for mediocrity is for the mediocre.

There is nothing mediocre about having an average income. It simply means you don't measure your life by the dollars you make but in the quality of your life in terms of how it makes you happy and fulfilled. And that does not at all require people to pursue lucre.

No, it was built by slaves, indentured servants, and people working for a miniscule percentage of the wealth they created by their sweat and toil, prior to the success of the labor movement.

Then things got much better.

The Real GOP plan.

Lol, I hope that was humor and not simply ideological stupidity.

Lol, I hope that was humor and not simply ideological stupidity.

No, it was the second one.

For you maybe, but not everyone wants to live their lives constantly chasing the US dollar.

There is nothing mediocre about having an average income. It simply means you don't measure your life by the dollars you make but in the quality of your life in terms of how it makes you happy and fulfilled. And that does not at all require people to pursue lucre.

No, it was built by slaves, indentured servants, and people working for a miniscule percentage of the wealth they created by their sweat and toil, prior to the success of the labor movement.

Thanks to the efforts of the Labor Movement in the early 20th century.

Simple solution....term-limits.

Simple solution: bell the cat.

Mudwhistle, you are a sharp guy, surely you see the problematic nature of how term limits has been pursued in the past, right?

People have tried to push this thing with individual candidates, most of whom make some pledge to not seek re-election after say two or three terms.

Then the system just naturally purges itself of such term limit champions.

We need a new approach based on a universal application of term limits across the board simultaneously.

That I think can only be attained with a Constitutional Amendment.

Simple solution....term-limits.

Simple solution: bell the cat.

Mudwhistle, you are a sharp guy, surely you see the problematic nature of how term limits has been pursued in the past, right?

People have tried to push this thing with individual candidates, most of whom make some pledge to not seek re-election after say two or three terms.

Then the system just naturally purges itself of such term limit champions.

We need a new approach based on a universal application of term limits across the board simultaneously.

That I think can only be attained with a Constitutional Amendment.

Congressmen were sweating bullets when the term-limit movement started, and they effectively silenced it by changing the subject, but it is the only solution. 2 terms and you're done. It would almost completely erase the corruption. Their approval numbers are single digits, yet I seriously doubt anyone on the left would want to end the BS that continues day after day.

Last edited:

Something else so very few Americans understand: You don't chase the dollar. You chase excellence and the dollars take care of themselves.

Straw man argument, for the reasoning I just gave.

Damn, you have an awfully jaundiced and victimized attitude towards American economic history. No wonder all you seek is mediocrity.

The only effect term limits will have is that once a person gets into office they know they only have a limited amount of time to grab whatever they can. They are not answerable to anyone.

America is not coming back. Not ever. No matter who is president. We have become what our founding fathers warned against. The public has become so corrupt that it must have a corrupt government.

The only effect term limits will have is that once a person gets into office they know they only have a limited amount of time to grab whatever they can. They are not answerable to anyone.

America is not coming back. Not ever. No matter who is president. We have become what our founding fathers warned against. The public has become so corrupt that it must have a corrupt government.

And they don't do that now?

At least when you change your representatives it stops them from doing as much long-term damage.

It usually takes a few years for the special interests to get their meat-hooks into someone. By the time they do they're on the way out the door.

Last edited:

Something else so very few Americans understand: You don't chase the dollar. You chase excellence and the dollars take care of themselves.

Straw man argument, for the reasoning I just gave.

Damn, you have an awfully jaundiced and victimized attitude towards American economic history. No wonder all you seek is mediocrity.

Again, a life lived NOT pursuing the US dollar, however you want to spin it, is not mediocrity. It is a life lived in freedom and happiness if your pursue a moral and uplifting life which has ZERO to do with income.

Funny how you voided your own "pursue excellence" spin when you took your last cheap shot.

Forum List

Back