How The Guy Who Designed Beverly Hills Hotel; Wasn't Allowed To Stay There

"Imagine it's the 1940s and you've given years of your life to redesigning one of the most iconic hotels in the United States. Imagine it's then hailed by your peers as a modern-day marvel. Now, imagine you're not even allowed to stay there because you're Black. That was the reality for Paul R. Williams, the architect behind The Beverly Hills Hotel and some of the most iconic buildings in Los Angeles, including The Los Angeles County Courthouse and Saks Fifth Avenue in Beverly Hills more than 3,000 other structures.

But despite his genius vision, Williams still had to overcome the discrimination of clients who saw his race before his talent. "He had a few things he would use just to help him to win them [clients] over," said Williams' granddaughter, Karen E. Hudson. "They got there and stopped in their tracks because they didn't realize he was Black, and they were ready to back out.""He would say, what's your vision, as you sat there across the desk from him," says Hudson. "He would sketch it upside down, and it would come alive before your eyes." Williams did all he could to win clients over, but would never use methods to degrade himself. "The fact that he was willing to turn work down intrigued people even more," said Hudson."

View attachment 461158View attachment 461157
View attachment 461159

Seems a shame that despite making a hotel iconic by its design; that person was still not welcomed as a guest at that hotel. I guess this is why Black History month is so triggering for some and inspiring to others; -- triggering to those who get educated about the past and find out it is inconvenient to the bullshit they have told themselves -- inspiring to others who feel more empowered to aspire to things society has told them they can't or are not supposed to do.

Nothing about that it "inconvenient" to anything I have "told myself".

This is not the 1940s. That was 80 years ago. Stop living in the past.

Little has changed in regards to public accommodations. Like the two black guys who were arrested for waiting for someone in Starbucks without ordering.
There is more to what you type then that. We do not have discussions by the media on issues like that. Businesses run to have a profit for the services they provide. They are not trying to be mean. And in any issue with any business we look at it for the time period it happened. We do not know what happened over a period of time before that event. Losing business because of homeless people or bums can put them out of business. Potential violence is also part of the equation. I know. You and several friends will walk into a store with a few vagrants who you would be just so comfortable about sitting around near you and you would still have a good time. Being threatened is so much fun. It is not hate, it is preservation. And here is the thing. I would give a few bucks to anyone down and out. My views on Progs in distress for most any other reason is a decision at the time. I do not trust you anymore.

"Imagine it's the 1940s and you've given years of your life to redesigning one of the most iconic hotels in the United States. Imagine it's then hailed by your peers as a modern-day marvel. Now, imagine you're not even allowed to stay there because you're Black. That was the reality for Paul R. Williams, the architect behind The Beverly Hills Hotel and some of the most iconic buildings in Los Angeles, including The Los Angeles County Courthouse and Saks Fifth Avenue in Beverly Hills more than 3,000 other structures.

But despite his genius vision, Williams still had to overcome the discrimination of clients who saw his race before his talent. "He had a few things he would use just to help him to win them [clients] over," said Williams' granddaughter, Karen E. Hudson. "They got there and stopped in their tracks because they didn't realize he was Black, and they were ready to back out.""He would say, what's your vision, as you sat there across the desk from him," says Hudson. "He would sketch it upside down, and it would come alive before your eyes." Williams did all he could to win clients over, but would never use methods to degrade himself. "The fact that he was willing to turn work down intrigued people even more," said Hudson."

View attachment 461159

Seems a shame that despite making a hotel iconic by its design; that person was still not welcomed as a guest at that hotel. I guess this is why Black History month is so triggering for some and inspiring to others; -- triggering to those who get educated about the past and find out it is inconvenient to the bullshit they have told themselves -- inspiring to others who feel more empowered to aspire to things society has told them they can't or are not supposed to do.

Nothing about that it "inconvenient" to anything I have "told myself".

This is not the 1940s. That was 80 years ago. Stop living in the past.

Little has changed in regards to public accommodations. Like the two black guys who were arrested for waiting for someone in Starbucks without ordering.

Yep...Whitey is still forcing ShaQuita to have fo baby daddys by 19, we force DaShawn to commit crime at an off the chart level and we hold blacks back by only allowing them to achieve President Of The United States Of America.
Qui Dew!

View attachment 461159

Wow!
Big Fucking Deal!
Jews weren't allowed either.
So they built their own.
The first person to open Florida resorts and country clubs to Jews was Donald Trump.

In case you haven't heard, hotels (including this one) have been serving blacks for decades now. Need an update on the horse and buggy situation, too?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back