Huge Electric Bus Failure

In this story we find out that the range of the buses is much less than was promised. As I have stated, to sell "green", they must lie about how well it works.

But the biggest problem seems to be the battery range. The batteries were only running about 175 miles between charging as opposed to the 275 miles the city had been promised, according to Inside EVs. They were also prone to overheating.

Yup, when I drive down to Carson City for business it is a 50/50 bet that EV bus that runs between reno and carson is stopped on the side of the road.

I ended up giving a nurse I know a lift home when I saw her waiting on the side of the road.

She told me that around 30% of the time she ends up calling an uber instead of waiting for the replacement bus.

I can see electric vehicles being practical for commuter use, if the motorist has a charger available at home, and at work. The vehicle only needs to make one trip from home to work at the start of its day, and can sit connected to a charger all day while the owner is at work. At the end of the day, it drives home, and can connect to a charger there, until the next day, when it needs to go back to work again.

A bus needs to be able to run all day, nonstop. A bus that is sitting idle, connected to a charger, is a bus that is not carrying paying passengers anywhere. It's an asset that, at that time, is making no money for its owners. Transit companies really cannot afford to have rolling stock that needs to spend more time, idle, connected to chargers, than it spends running, carrying paying passengers.

Wrong. A Bus operates very little to run the same route. Buses spend a lot of time waiting to stay on schedule. Again, if there isn't enough juice, get a bigger battery.

Wrong. A Bus operates very little to run the same route. Buses spend a lot of time waiting to stay on schedule. Again, if there isn't enough juice, get a bigger battery.

I drove a city bus for 3 years and spent most of my time parked.

Once they start to burn, you will lose at least 6

Pretty pricey considering they cost a million dollars a pop, TWICE the cost of an ICE bus, not to mention they lose 40% of their range in the winter and need diesel generators anyway since heating the buses in the cold uses up 60% of the battery.

Wonder how those battery fires factor into their climatability?

What the buses need is a very small nuclear reactor to generate heat to boil water, power a turbine generator and charge the batteries, which will in turn power the motor.

Just like a nuclear submarine. Simple.
You might be on to something.
After all the massively powerful locomotive engines operate in a similar way....using diesel generators to drive huge DC motors.

You might be on to something.
After all the massively powerful locomotive engines operate in a similar way....using diesel generators to drive huge DC motors.
Except the new subs, the virginia class do not use batteries. They are pure nuclear. Designed to last 30 years without refueling.

I asked you

electric busses appear to be a bad idea based on the examples given

if you have evidence that proves the opposit lets see it
Correct....the amount of work being asked of a portable battery type power plant is just too great for the style and application with current tech.

Correct....the amount of work being asked of a portable battery type power plant is just too great for the style and application with current tech.
I think engineers will get there in time

but probably nowhere near the goals and mandates set by liberals in government

Forum List

Back