I agree with this editorial that the Western sanctions are really aimed at the avg Russian

bendog

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2013
Dog House in back yard
who supports Putin, and has no problem with invading Ukraine and who - imo - is more concerned with cheap sausage that democracy at home and dead children abroad than they are in their own and other's rights to not be summarily killed to promote a harmonious state.

One thing that Putin has always been very afraid of'​

Asked about what comes next, Frye explained that "one thing that Putin has always been very afraid of domestic instability. So I think the impact of these sanctions and all of the Western policy are less to try to get the economic elites to turn on Putin than just trying to make the country ungovernable. And at some point, that might be one way we could constrain Putin from pushing further into Ukraine and to try to find some negotiated agreement."

I've met around ten Russian nationals over the past twenty years, and to a man/woman they've said we "misunderstand" Putin and think he's some kind of Stalin ..... but I didn't and don't see that as a misunderstanding of him.

Look at companies instigating "sanctions"...........

Alcohol companies
Netflix
Internet companies
Food companies
Banks
Airlines
etc...

All PUBLIC companies that have nothing to do with the Russian government, it's ALL against the Russian people.

Putin has demonstrated MANY, MANY times he doesn't give a rats ass about human life, especially of his own people. He doesn't give a shit they are being cut off from the world.

It doesn't matter anyway. Russia is like the USA, it can be a self-reliant country, because they have their own resources. Being cut off from the rest of the world is only a minor inconvenience for now. Putin will just put into effect that all Russians will have to depend on all Russian industry, and move on from there.

Putin may be a dick, but he's a cunning and intelligent dick that knows how to work the system. The only way Putin will be stopped, is if he's ejected out of the Kremlin and replaced.

Putin was cunning enough to know how far he can go, even in the Russian government. This is why he changed laws back in 2020. He is pretty much guaranteed to be in power as long as HE wants to be.

According to Wikipedia.....
Incumbent President Vladimir Putin has the right to seek re-election. Despite the two-term limit, Putin has been granted the right to run again for two more terms, after the 2020 constitutional reform. The winner of the election is scheduled to be inaugurated on 7 May 2024.

who supports Putin, and has no problem with invading Ukraine and who - imo - is more concerned with cheap sausage that democracy at home and dead children abroad than they are in their own and other's rights to not be summarily killed to promote a harmonious state.

Asked about what comes next, Frye explained that "one thing that Putin has always been very afraid of domestic instability. So I think the impact of these sanctions and all of the Western policy are less to try to get the economic elites to turn on Putin than just trying to make the country ungovernable. And at some point, that might be one way we could constrain Putin from pushing further into Ukraine and to try to find some negotiated agreement."

I've met around ten Russian nationals over the past twenty years, and to a man/woman they've said we "misunderstand" Putin and think he's some kind of Stalin ..... but I didn't and don't see that as a misunderstanding of him.

Putin has cause to be scared when the Middle Class became disaffected in 1917; today the same strata of working people are becoming disaffected.

Last edited:
Putin has cause to be scared when the Middle Class became disaffected in 1917:
Exactly. My limited interactions with Russians, and seeing what Russia has done since 1990, is simply that cheap sausage is something Russians are happy to get in exchange for wars and taking economic well being from others, and an end to their own liberty. Imo if it weren't Putin, it'd be somebody else.

I'm not saying we could or should impose democracy on Russia.

Putin doesn't care about his people.

However, let's see how his oligarchs fare w/sanctions.

Forum List

Back