I can't breathe!...

If you can't breathe then you can't say "I can't breathe" 11 times.

Seriously try it. Have someone forcibly stop you from breathing and try to say "I can't breathe" 11 times

Wrong. I see it all the time in my emergency department with asthmatics, COPD'ers, and CHF'ers. They can be in respiratory distress, and dying, but still be able to talk a bit.

Being in respiratory distress does not necessarily mean they can't breathe it means they are having difficulty breathing.

Big difference that a person in the medical field should know .

Never had anyone tell me "I'm in respiratory distress". They DO say "I can't breathe"

But he obviously was breathing wasn't he?

If you cannot breathe you cannot talk.

Just because he said "I can't breathe" does not in fact mean that he could not breathe does it?

Seriously try it. Have someone forcibly stop you from breathing and try to say "I can't breathe" 11 times

Wrong. I see it all the time in my emergency department with asthmatics, COPD'ers, and CHF'ers. They can be in respiratory distress, and dying, but still be able to talk a bit.

Being in respiratory distress does not necessarily mean they can't breathe it means they are having difficulty breathing.

Never had anyone tell me "I'm in respiratory distress". They DO say "I can't breathe"

Just because he said "I can't breathe" does not in fact mean that he could not breathe does it?

He was obviously breathing, but many times people who are breathing are not getting enough ventilation to support life.

Correct, just because he said "I can't breathe" does NOT mean that he couldn't breathe, however such a statement needs to be taken seriously by anyone in authority (parents, police, nurses, physicians) because it can quickly lead to irreversible death....like it apparently did here.

He was obviously breathing, but many times people who are breathing are not getting enough ventilation to support life.

Correct, just because he said "I can't breathe" does NOT mean that he couldn't breathe, however such a statement needs to be taken seriously by anyone in authority (parents, police, nurses, physicians) because it can quickly lead to irreversible death....like it apparently did here.

Yeah every time cops arrest people they say shit like that too.

You think the cops haven't heard that before when the criminal they are trying a to arrest is lying.

Garner was a career criminal there was absolutely no reason to think he was telling the truth.

You think the cops haven't heard that before when the criminal they are trying a to arrest is lying.

Garner was a career criminal there was absolutely no reason to think he was telling the truth.

I know they do, I see them in the ED frequently because most police are prudent and they will get their prisoner evaluated and treated by a professional. These cops didn't. My understanding is they stood there for a significant amount of time as he expired. That just adds a whole 'nuther layer of their indifference to his rights, and his life.

I know they do, I see them in the ED frequently because most police are prudent and they will get their prisoner evaluated and treated by a professional. These cops didn't. My understanding is they stood there for a significant amount of time as he expired. That just adds a whole 'nuther layer of their indifference to his rights, and his life.
Excuse me but it has been reported that he dies in the ambulance not on the street so they did get him medical attention

Was he slapping them? I did not see that.
The cop reached for him and he knocked the cop's hand away

So the cop reached for him, without telling him he was under arrest.

That is assault by the police officer.

Think of it this way, if a police officer went up to your wife and during a discussion (that did NOT include telling her that she was under arrest) he grabbed her, she should have the right to remove his hands from her.

Of course, in today's society, she would then be charged with resisting arrest, despite that her resisting came BEFORE she knew she was being arrested.

These are fundamental rights that every citizen, even the criminals, have because when take those rights away from some people, it's easier to take them away from everyone else.

People seem to be talking past the two main points here:

1. The black community needs to support law and order in their communities.

2. Police organizations need to respect citizens and their Constitutional rights.

Excuse me but it has been reported that he dies in the ambulance not on the street so they did get him medical attention

My understanding is he "died" in the ED of the hospital. While this could be because he came into the department with a pulse, this also often happens with people who expired at home or on the street, and I declare them deceased in the ED. I don't know what extent of care he received by the PD, by EMS, or by the ED, but I have read that he laid there for some time before EMS was finally called, I have read that he died on the street, and I read that he died in the ED. I don't know the specifics.

Think of it this way, if a police officer went up to your wife and during a discussion (that did NOT include telling her that she was under arrest) he grabbed her, she should have the right to remove his hands from her.

Of course, in today's society, she would then be charged with resisting arrest, despite that her resisting came BEFORE she knew she was being arrested.

These are fundamental rights that every citizen, even the criminals, have because when take those rights away from some people, it's easier to take them away from everyone else.
I didn't hear every word the cop said did you? What about before the tape was rolling.

Seems to me you are assuming facts not in evidence.

And my wife is not a criminal on parole.

Sorry but I cannot find any sympathy for this guy at all. Since he has been arrested over 30 times he knew the drill. Besides that he was on parole and he knew that parole brings another level of responsibility on his part.

If he had acted like an adult and not a petulant child he would still be alive today and still selling cigarettes to little kids.

People seem to be talking past the two main points here:

1. The black community needs to support law and order in their communities.

2. Police organizations need to respect citizens and their Constitutional rights.

I just want to repeat this post, because it is spot on. This discussion thread is about #2. Unfortunately there are too many people who willingly give up OTHER people's rights (ie: criminals) without realizing that their rights are next in line to go.

Resist arrest? I guess this is using the logic that if a cop puts a hand on you arrest is implied because it sure wasnt said

I guess you can test out your theory next time you get arrested -- OR -- you can obey the law and NOT get arrested in the first place -- OR -- you can not resist if you ARE arrested. All sorts of options!

Most people do try to get away when they are being attacked.

And many people certainly can talk when they are getting insufficient air (ie: feel like they "can't breathe"). Asthmatics, COPD'ers, and CHF'ers who are respiratory distress often say the same thing...."I can't breathe"

Well, if he's saying "I can't breathe" he's wrong, because you can't talk if you can't breathe. If what you say is true, and I know that it is, then he didn't die from choking. Getting insufficient air won't kill you right away, it would take time. Longer for sure than the length of time the so-called choke hold was in use.

Resist arrest? I guess this is using the logic that if a cop puts a hand on you arrest is implied because it sure wasnt said

I guess you can test out your theory next time you get arrested -- OR -- you can obey the law and NOT get arrested in the first place -- OR -- you can not resist if you ARE arrested. All sorts of options!

Or not carry a wallet...or a pack of Skittles....Or nothing at all

...or get a gang of your Good Ol' Boy buddies to turn up with their guns to confront the cops...then you'll actually be a RW hero

I didn't hear every word the cop said did you? What about before the tape was rolling.

Sorry but I cannot find any sympathy for this guy at all. Since he has been arrested over 30 times he knew the drill. Besides that he was on parole and he knew that parole brings another level of responsibility on his part.

If he had acted like an adult and not a petulant child he would still be alive today and still selling cigarettes to little kids.

I readily admit I do not know everything about the case, and am only going off of what I have seen on the short video and read in reports.

Whether or not your wife is a criminal or on parole, she and this criminal have rights. These rights are often violated by police officers, and it appears that this time it was caught on video, yet the police got away with it.

I readily admit I do not know everything about the case, and am only going off of what I have seen on the short video and read in reports.

Whether or not your wife is a criminal or on parole, she and this criminal have rights. These rights are often violated by police officers, and it appears that this time it was caught on video, yet the police got away with it.

What rights were violated?

The police have the right to detain you and to arrest you if necessary. He has the right to remain silent, have an attorney present during questioning. He does not have the right to resist.

...or get a gang of your Good Ol' Boy buddies to turn up with their guns to confront the cops...then you'll actually be a RW hero

RW heroes are truckloads of rednecks showing up at a riot carrying axe-handles and baseball bats.

Forum List

Back