I feel lonely and miserable.

Man of Ethics

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2021
Since about 2006, I have talked only to my parents (Thank G-d alive and well), my grandmother (RIP), and people online. I have no peer friends.

I hope I can find friends for online voice conversations. Nothing romantic!

Same boat bud, same boat.

I lived in a rural area, and was homeschooled. Never had any friends growing up, so I became super thoughtful, introverted and pensive. In a way, I'm glad I'm like that.

When I was 17, I started working for a guy who I became very good friends with, and made a couple friends working there, but all were at least 15 years older than me. Girls? Forget it. I was lovesick over a girl who worked in town, and for two years I said nothing.

Flash forward to present day, and I have moved out of state and got a real job, a factory job. I've made three good friends, but they're still a couple years older than me. I'm the youngest person working in the whole plant, on any shift. Somehow I'm more reliable than most. Different rant for another day.

The point is, I feel ya. It's hard to be alone for some. For me, I prefer to be left alone, and don't like going out on a limb really. One of my friends knows about my girl problem, and he said that he would gladly take me to a strip club one night we had off. I had a very hard time trying to weasel my way out of that one. Another friend asked if I wanted to go to a car show, which I politely declined. I think they're trying to help now that I think about it. I just usually prefer being alone out in a field, swinging a metal detector, and getting stung by yellow jackets.

I've accepted my loner life. Either you have to come out of your shell, or be a shadow dweller such as myself.

Since about 2006, I have talked only to my parents (Thank G-d alive and well), my grandmother (RIP), and people online. I have no peer friends.

High school and college offer ready-made opportunities to make friends. It's much more difficult in adult life. I think we all "assume" everyone is busy. I think a lot of us who hang out at internet sites are introverts--I know I am. Still, it's important to have real life connections. Anyway, I prayed for you. I pray you will look around and see opportunities for connection!

Same boat bud, same boat.

I lived in a rural area, and was homeschooled. Never had any friends growing up, so I became super thoughtful, introverted and pensive. In a way, I'm glad I'm like that.

When I was 17, I started working for a guy who I became very good friends with, and made a couple friends working there, but all were at least 15 years older than me. Girls? Forget it. I was lovesick over a girl who worked in town, and for two years I said nothing.

Flash forward to present day, and I have moved out of state and got a real job, a factory job. I've made three good friends, but they're still a couple years older than me. I'm the youngest person working in the whole plant, on any shift. Somehow I'm more reliable than most. Different rant for another day.

The point is, I feel ya. It's hard to be alone for some. For me, I prefer to be left alone, and don't like going out on a limb really. One of my friends knows about my girl problem, and he said that he would gladly take me to a strip club one night we had off. I had a very hard time trying to weasel my way out of that one. Another friend asked if I wanted to go to a car show, which I politely declined. I think they're trying to help now that I think about it. I just usually prefer being alone out in a field, swinging a metal detector, and getting stung by yellow jackets.

I've accepted my loner life. Either you have to come out of your shell, or be a shadow dweller such as myself.

Ah well needless to say, you will see girls at the strip club but you won't meet any....heh. Being invited to car shows, even if it's not your first interest or whatever, is more promising for friendships and romance. But you do have to come out of your shell--as I said above, never easy for introverts. (like me)

Ah well needless to say, you will see girls at the strip club but you won't meet any....heh. Being invited to car shows, even if it's not your first interest or whatever, is more promising for friendships and romance. But you do have to come out of your shell--as I said above, never easy for introverts. (like me)

Trust me, the first friends suggestion was met with laughter until I realized he was serious. The second friend truly means well, so I'll have to take him up on his offer one day.

Nobody wants to go with me to snake shows. I may be able to work up the courage to go to a concert one night when I have off, but I know no one would be interested in the shit I listen to to go with me, lol!

High school and college offer ready-made opportunities to make friends. It's much more difficult in adult life. I think we all "assume" everyone is busy. I think a lot of us who hang out at internet sites are introverts--I know I am. Still, it's important to have real life connections. Anyway, I prayed for you. I pray you will look around and see opportunities for connection!
Thank you very much!

Many people who are lonely in life turn to forums and other Social Media as I do. If Elon Musk acquires Twitter, I will also be there.

Proud to be an Aspie -- High Functioning Autistic.

Get out more.... Maybe join a church....? Or take a single college course of interest to meet other people, who will know other people etc, which will expand the gene pool of new possible friends? Bar hopping could get you to meet people in person, perhaps?

I'm not certain you'll become any less lonely, hanging out on the net....and certainly not on a site like this one, too much vitriol!!!

Everyone has soulmate is my belief!!!! :D You don't have to be alone, but if you don't get out there and let Cupid's arrow hit ya, you will be alone.

Personally, I'm usually craving some "alone" time.... I usually feel like I'm being pulled in a thousand different directions from everyone else's needs... and cherish any alone time, I can get!!!! Though I wouldn't want to be alone all the time, I'd miss my hubby, who is also my best friend!

Trust me, the first friends suggestion was met with laughter until I realized he was serious. The second friend truly means well, so I'll have to take him up on his offer one day.

Nobody wants to go with me to snake shows. I may be able to work up the courage to go to a concert one night when I have off, but I know no one would be interested in the shit I listen to to go with me, lol!

What is a snake show? Don't be afraid to go to things like shows and concerts alone, it's a good way to meet people with similar interests. Also don't get hung up on being younger then the people you hang out with.

Thank you very much!

Many people who are lonely in life turn to forums and other Social Media as I do. If Elon Musk acquires Twitter, I will also be there.

Proud to be an Aspie -- High Functioning Autistic.

Volunteering is a good way to meet people. You could also check to see if your local library has any sort events/activities.

Ok. You keep making the same complaint and nobody is responding in the way that I think you want them to. You will need to make some concessions or you can remain lonely and miserable. If you are unhappy then change it. Many people here would be classified as "introvert" and there are several that would fall on the Spectrum had that diagnosis been around when they were much younger.

1) What are your hobbies? What are your interests? Do you have any? If not, get some. Life is an art. The more you are engaging with people that have the same interest that you do the more likely they will be to engage in online voice or even video conversations. Check your library for activities like book clubs or other things that they may have and if you don't like what you find then start your own via the app of your choice. If you are a gamer then X-Box live is where it's at. Discord is another one. There is also AirTALK and Mumble but I have never used those ones. So, I can't speak to that. For both in person and virtual meetings there is Meetup. It's been a few years since I have been on that and I don't know how badly they were impacted by the shut downs.

2) Leave your house and go do stuff. Go to a museum, go to a movie or go walk down town. Meetup app is handy here as well if you want to meet people for a limited amount of time that you can ditch real quick if you have to. That also goes with the interests thingy. I promise that you will have enough interactions with other humans that you want to run home and lock yourself in forever. You will love your life.

3)Women have been online just as long as men have been online. You will encounter us. Don't make the assumption that any female that is speaking to you wants you. We don't. Many online general chat groups (voice) where you can talk about whatever let you know if it's platonic, romantic or both. The more that you can zero in on your interests/hobbies the less that this is a problem. This is a forum. We are here to debate not fornicate. It's not the responsibility of any woman on this forum to alter the way they communicate to make someone's significant other feel more secure. If you have that problem then maybe you just stick with all male groups.

What is a snake show? Don't be afraid to go to things like shows and concerts alone, it's a good way to meet people with similar interests. Also don't get hung up on being younger then the people you hang out with.

Ever since I was three, I've wanted a pet snake. I've always been obsessed with them. But when I was living at home, I was living with someone who was terrified of snakes, and forbid me to have one as a pet. Now that I'm on my own, I finally realized, "Oh yeah, I can get one now!" So every paycheck cycle, I save a little bit of money for supplies, and eventually, my scaly noodle friend.

Ok. You keep making the same complaint and nobody is responding in the way that I think you want them to. You will need to make some concessions or you can remain lonely and miserable. If you are unhappy then change it. Many people here would be classified as "introvert" and there are several that would fall on the Spectrum had that diagnosis been around when they were much younger.

1) What are your hobbies? What are your interests? Do you have any? If not, get some. Life is an art. The more you are engaging with people that have the same interest that you do the more likely they will be to engage in online voice or even video conversations. Check your library for activities like book clubs or other things that they may have and if you don't like what you find then start your own via the app of your choice. If you are a gamer then X-Box live is where it's at. Discord is another one. There is also AirTALK and Mumble but I have never used those ones. So, I can't speak to that. For both in person and virtual meetings there is Meetup. It's been a few years since I have been on that and I don't know how badly they were impacted by the shut downs.

2) Leave your house and go do stuff. Go to a museum, go to a movie or go walk down town. Meetup app is handy here as well if you want to meet people for a limited amount of time that you can ditch real quick if you have to. That also goes with the interests thingy. I promise that you will have enough interactions with other humans that you want to run home and lock yourself in forever. You will love your life.

3)Women have been online just as long as men have been online. You will encounter us. Don't make the assumption that any female that is speaking to you wants you. We don't. Many online general chat groups (voice) where you can talk about whatever let you know if it's platonic, romantic or both. The more that you can zero in on your interests/hobbies the less that this is a problem. This is a forum. We are here to debate not fornicate. It's not the responsibility of any woman on this forum to alter the way they communicate to make someone's significant other feel more secure. If you have that problem then maybe you just stick with all male groups.
1) I will try to find people to talk to online. Someone of similar (low) social status.

3) I know that no one is romantically interested in me. I am not complaining. I am 53 yo -- not in early 20s.

Hell is other people.
- Jean-Paul Sartre
'No Exit'

1) I will try to find people to talk to online. Someone of similar (low) social status.

3) I know that no one is romantically interested in me. I am not complaining. I am 53 yo -- not in early 20s.
It shouldn't matter what your social status is, Relative. That has always been the fantastic thing about being on line. I don't care how much money you do or don't make. I don't think that anyone here does unless they have run out of arguments.

It shouldn't matter what your social status is, Relative. That has always been the fantastic thing about being on line. I don't care how much money you do or don't make. I don't think that anyone here does unless they have run out of arguments.
Sometimes actual lawyers and doctors participate in online arguments -- along with people who have no job and who have mental disability.

Welcome to the 2000s friend.
The era of face-in-screens.
Hard to find people when everyone is huddled inside around glowing rectangles
NO!

In 2000s, only text forum talk was available. In 2020s people talk by Zoom and Jitsi Meet.

Forum List

Back