I implore everyone over 60 to do all you can to improve your strengh and balance.

I have worked out vigorously 3-5 times per week for my entire adult life (I'm 74).

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Tai Chi in this thread. The essence of Tai Chi is balance. It is low stress, moderate effort, and doesn't take long to do. It is the OPPOSITE of exercise; rather than feeling weary after Tai Chi, you feel invigorated. Hundreds of millions of Chinese know the benefits and practice it.
I like my Tai Chi over rice.

I have to admit I struggle with the whole "home gym" thing, i never end up using what I buy for the house. We have a Planet Fitness membership and I try to go to it at least 2 to 3 times a week for weight machines and then do cardio on my own the other days.
I have a membership too and its nice to change things up but it's great to work out at home, my advice is start watching exercise videos on YouTube, I set my laptop up in my garage in front of my bench and often just copy various workouts I'm watching. Eventually you find a routine that works for you.

I am 59 and still do the ass busting work of framing large residential homes. Climing roof trusses and steep slopes. Carrying heavy materials and working outdoors all year.

Most of my peers are now overweight and have health issues from an inactive lifestyle.

Two friends have died from heart problems. One was 61 and the other was 57.
I've been around contracting guys for decades. Most smoke like chimneys and have drinking problems. They are often good at what they do, but don't take care of themselves.

Helping an elderly neighbor living alone has been a sobering experience. To see someone lying face down on her garage floor unable to move is awful to see. So unless you want to be that person I implore you to begin strength and balance exercises. They are simple to do and you start easy as can be but if you are in your 60s or older you must do this for your own sake. Once you lose your strength and balance, the clock starts counting down to your date with a garage floor.

I think I've posted this before. Longevity test that I pass with ease, but I'm not sure how valid it is. Obviously it does measure balance. Strength I'm not too sure:

My work room is in the basement and I must go up and down those stairs 30 times, most days. Not to mention the fact that my deck is elevated, so there's more stairs when I'm out in the garden or playing with the dog.

And I'll be 70 next month.

Your advice is wise, MarathonMike

I'm 10 years ahead of you and walk at least a mile and a half every day. At over 6000 feet, that's a good workout!

Some conditions are a result of bad genetics and not the result of poor health choices.

Forum List

Back