If people save any extra money they get

SpidermanTuba

Rookie
May 7, 2004
Say, from the stimulus, is that really a bad thing?

When people save, they put their money on deposit with a bank.

The bank doesn't just sit on that money. I mean they might for a while, but eventually they have to loan it out because otherwise they are just acting as a giant, well protected, and completely free (in most cases) wall safe for the customer - which costs them money.

Is it possible that banks would have so much cash from people stashing their money in savings that they might just stop taking deposits? Or would we just see negative interest?

To stimulate the economy with tax cutsto succeed, the idea is that the people will spend the money.

Spending money to create jobs gets money in their pockets that they can spend also. If I am working and making money, I will spend. If I am unemployed, I will hold on to the money as long as I can.

If it would help to save this nation, I will take a blood oath that should Obama lay a huge sum of money on me or Rosetta, I will spend it as rapidly as I can manage.

It's a tough job being a patriotic consumer, but --damn it! -- somebody's got to do the right thing for their nation.

No one should spend any money until they have at least 6 months and preferably one year's salary (gross not net) in the bank.

have none of you learned the value of an emergency fund?

Interesting thing i found:
====
At the start of the 21st century, that same personal savings figure dropped from a positive 174.3 billion dollars in 2004, down to a negative 34.8 billion dollars in 2005. The following year in 2006, that figure went down even further when it reached negative 102.8 billion dollars.

General economic principles state that consumers will save some of their disposable income and spend the rest. A negative savings rate means that U.S. consumers are spending more than 100% of their monthly after-tax disposable income . Other variables aside, the overall decline of personal savings (as has been consistently calculated over the past 80 years) indicates that the percentage of household savings has gone down to zero and is now in negative territory.
====
Source: US Consumers: Negative Savings, Trillions In Debt, Negative Equity, Disaster Ahead « Chicken Smith

I'm going to put my extra $13 a week into an account and save it. That way when the state raises taxes, I'll have money to pay them.

I hate to tell you this buy you ain't getting $13 a week. it's more like $8

Plan Tries Slow, Steady Stimulus to Revive Spending - WSJ.com

The Obama administration is betting that an extra $8 a week in most Americans' paychecks will boost consumer spending and help pull the U.S. out of its downturn.

One piece of the $787 billion economic recovery package, which President Barack Obama plans to sign Tuesday in Denver, is an experiment in consumer behavior. The $116 billion in tax credits for 95% of Americans will come largely through reduced tax withholding from paychecks, over two years, rather than one-time payments.

The idea: let money trickle out to consumers so it feels like a permanent income boost.

ooooh a whole 8 dollar "income boost" I guess that'll cover the soda tax,the candy tax, the beer tax, the higher tolls, .....

I hate to tell you this buy you ain't getting $13 a week. it's more like $8

Plan Tries Slow, Steady Stimulus to Revive Spending - WSJ.com

The Obama administration is betting that an extra $8 a week in most Americans' paychecks will boost consumer spending and help pull the U.S. out of its downturn.

One piece of the $787 billion economic recovery package, which President Barack Obama plans to sign Tuesday in Denver, is an experiment in consumer behavior. The $116 billion in tax credits for 95% of Americans will come largely through reduced tax withholding from paychecks, over two years, rather than one-time payments.

The idea: let money trickle out to consumers so it feels like a permanent income boost.

ooooh a whole 8 dollar "income boost" I guess that'll cover the soda tax,the candy tax, the beer tax, the higher tolls, .....

WTF??? NO WAY!!!! But, but . . . he PROMISED that marrieds would get $13 a week! Waaaahhhh, I want my $13. DA MAN PROMISED ME!

Forum List

Back