IRS seizes refunds of taxpayers whose parents owe the government money

mudwhistle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2009
Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts
103716346-irs-drop-boxes.jpg

IRS seizes refunds of taxpayers whose parents owe the government money

When are the sins of the father visited upon his children? When the IRS and Social Security Administration say so.

Hit and Run:

Holding children responsible for the debt incurred by their parents is a feature of historical feudalism and a few modern third-world shitholes.

Developed countries, by and large, assume that a debt dies with the person who willingly incurred it, or at least stops with his or her estate. "By and large," I write, because the U.S. government has broken with centuries of tradition holding individuals responsible for their choices, opting to withhold tax refunds from children whose parents incurred vague and often ill-documented obligations to the feds.

The case of Mary Grice, a Maryland resident, reveals just how much Obama has "transformed" America:

A few weeks ago, with no notice, the U.S. government intercepted Mary Grice’s tax refunds from both the IRS and the state of Maryland. Grice had no idea that Uncle Sam had seized her money until some days later, when she got a letter saying that her refund had gone to satisfy an old debt to the government — a very old debt.

When Grice was 4, back in 1960, her father died, leaving her mother with five children to raise. Until the kids turned 18, Sadie Grice got survivor benefits from Social Security to help feed and clothe them.

“It was a shock,” said Grice, 58. “What incenses me is the way they went about this. They gave me no notice, they can’t prove that I received any overpayment, and they use intimidation tactics, threatening to report this to the credit bureaus.”

Grice filed suit against the Social Security Administration in federal court in Greenbelt this week, alleging that the government violated her right to due process by holding her responsible for a $2,996 debt supposedly incurred under her father’s Social Security number.

Social Security officials told Grice that six people — Grice, her four siblings and her father’s first wife, whom she never knew — had received benefits under her father’s account. The government doesn’t look into exactly who got the overpayment; the policy is to seek compensation from the oldest sibling and work down through the family until the debt is paid.

They don't even have accurate records about these debts and yet still go after the descendants in trying to collect them? No notice, no chance to appeal - a brazen example of big government in action.

The new rules came about as a result of two changes to the law:

The new multi-generational debt collection practice required a two-step policy change. One was the elimination of the 10-year statute of limitations on debts to the federal government. The other involves the Social Security Administration insisting that if tiny tots indirectly benefited from public assistance collected by adults decades ago those now-grown ex-tots are responsible for any overpayments the feds may claim.

The elimination of the statute of limitations may, on its face, allow the government to go after individuals responsible for incurring debt, but the longer time horizon means accurate records can be hard to come by. According to Fisher, "Social Security officials told Grice they had no records explaining the debt."

How do you collect a debt that you can't prove exists? Through the sheer grinding weight of the state, of course.

Going after the next generation—which never made the decision to incur a debt to begin with—really is a massive break from previous policy.
Blog: IRS seizes refunds of taxpayers whose parents owe the government money

irs.jpeg

What a crock of crap

I get the feeling that what's going on in Nevada might be a reoccurring theme for many years to come

This may be the most repulsive thing I've ever read on these boards, and that is saying a lot.

What happened to this once great nation is a disgrace.

Sounds like a cyberattack to me...

IRS says experiencing computer failure
Wed Feb 3, 2016 - The U.S. Internal Revenue Service said on Wednesday it is experiencing computer failure across several systems and temporarily cannot accept many taxpayer returns.
"Several of our systems are not currently operating, including our modernized e-file system and a number of other related systems," the IRS said in a statement.

"A number of taxpayer and tax practitioner tools are unavailable," it said. "IRS.gov remains available, although a number of the services on the site are not, including Where’s My Refund."

The agency said it is in the process of making repairs and anticipates some of the systems will remain unavailable until Thursday.

The IRS said it does not anticipate major refund disruptions. "We continue to expect that nine out of 10 taxpayers will receive their refunds within 21 days," the agency said.

IRS says experiencing computer failure

Just remember, this is the same system ya'll Bernie fans are hoping will take care of you and yours... lol

Forum List

Back