irs troubles

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
scenario: payroll taxes are involved.......years of back taxes for taxes not filed...finally files taxes for back years......account tells the person he owes 4 k....or so since his tax refunds have been garnished for a few years....he was all happy....i ask about interest and penalties...he said that was in the 4k.....now the tax bill from the irs is over 21 k...with interest and penalties...now he is thinking bankruptcy is his savior....i say its not and this is gonna be worse than he expects and he needs a tax lawyer...anyone got advice here?

scenario: payroll taxes are involved.......years of back taxes for taxes not filed...finally files taxes for back years......account tells the person he owes 4 k....or so since his tax refunds have been garnished for a few years....he was all happy....i ask about interest and penalties...he said that was in the 4k.....now the tax bill from the irs is over 21 k...with interest and penalties...now he is thinking bankruptcy is his savior....i say its not and this is gonna be worse than he expects and he needs a tax lawyer...anyone got advice here?
Remember to file your taxes every year...

You can't shirk taxes by filing bankruptcy..Get a tax attorney and ask him what will be the charge or start making payments to the IRS...or die...

Remember to file your taxes every year...
Only if you owe dough..

A person cannot discharge IRS debt thru the use of bankruptcy.

But the IRS does have an "Offer in Compromise" program, where you can settle the debt for less then half of what you owe. ..... :cool:

A tax guy helps. I worked as a sub for a few years and diddnt get behind so much as mis stepped. What I know for a fact, the interest stops but you still gotta pay. Keep paying and all will be good. Aside from that, start calls my tax guys. May cost some money, but it won't be $21,000.00! You guys may even be able to knock that number down some?

A tax guy helps. I worked as a sub for a few years and diddnt get behind so much as mis stepped. What I know for a fact, the interest stops but you still gotta pay. Keep paying and all will be good. Aside from that, start calls my tax guys. May cost some money, but it won't be $21,000.00! You guys may even be able to knock that number down some?
I was nabbed for 4k on my business taxes when I left out one guy on the crew..

When I was in grad school decades ago they taught us that bankruptcy does not discharge Federal taxes.

I have not had this issue come up since learning about it.

I don't take tax cheats as clients.

Only lawyers are allowed to take tax cheats as clients.

Ergo you will need a tax lawyer not a CPA or EA to answer your questions.

they looked at the offer to compromise....i think the payroll taxes are the big stumbling block

Yup. That's how you t always go's or you forget say a W2. That's how one dude I work with got nailed. He took an EIC tax credit, but left off a W2 from an old job. Took two years to find out he owed roughly $2500 bucks. Real easy to mess it up if you don't know what your doing.

In Vancouver if you want to pick up a hooker you don't say "Hey Bebe !!" like on Beavis And Butthead -- you say "Aye Bebe !!"

:D

they looked at the offer to compromise....i think the payroll taxes are the big stumbling block
M
They are dicks. Not all of them but most. Can y'all get to an IRS office? It takes forever but you should have able to go in and work it out.

Yup. That's how you t always go's or you forget say a W2. That's how one dude I work with got nailed. He took an EIC tax credit, but left off a W2 from an old job. Took two years to find out he owed roughly $2500 bucks. Real easy to mess it up if you don't know what your doing.
It was a super busy year and I always did my own taxes, but after the penalty I payed closer attention to it..

Get nominated as a Democrat appointee as Treasurer of the United States then claim it was the fault of Turbo Tax.

Just bankrupting won't take away tax burdens. They can ask for the grace of a waiver for the fines. I had to do that once when a book keeper screwed up my payroll taxes and I had a fine that would have really stressed the finances badly. I called the main IRS office, told the guy what had happened. He was really decent about it after I explain to him what went down with the book keeper. It wasn't like I was purposely trying to cheat them, just a screw up the book keeper and she had made a math mistake. His biggest question was why I hadn't fired her right away, so I explained the whole situation to him and he seemed very understanding about it. He told me to write it all down and ask for a waiver and forgiveness for the extra chargers. (I think waiver is what it was called). The new book keeper attached a four leaf clover I had found that was pinned to the peg board to the bottom of my letter and she didn't double check the postage at the post office for weight (she wasn't a whole lot brighter than the previous one). Anyhow the guy called me the next week after the letter sent out and said that they had quite the discussion at their office when the letter arrived. He said first thing you should never send out a letter asking for a favor that has postage due. That caused a stir because who would be responsible for that extra 16 cents. Then he said the whole office had to determine if the four leaf clover was a bribe or some sort of enchantment so that took a long discussion. The guy kept me in suspense for awhile before telling that they finally decided the four leaf clover was merely entertaining and they would be forgiving that extra big bill so just the regular tax rates applied.

not so much as a tax cheat as tax ignorant
I seem to remember a while back you talking about not handling employee withholding because they were subs. But if the IRS sees them as employees, like you setting the pay and time, you will owe.

Forum List

Back