Is "hostage taking" sound politics?

R

rdean

Unemployment benefits: not until Bush tax cuts pass, Senate GOP says - CSMonitor.com

The inaction means the imminent loss of unemployment compensation for some 800,000 out-of-work Americans, with nearly 2 million long-term unemployed expected to be affected by Jan. 1, according to the Labor Department.

US Labor Secretary Hilda Solis, speaking Wednesday at a press conference organized by Democratic congressional leaders, said that by next spring, another 6 million unemployed workers will lose benefits if Congress does not act. “Millions of families are going to struggle to put food on the table or put gas in the gas tank,” she said.

--------------------------------------------------------

To me, political negotiations mean "do we put a bridge here or a train", or do we build another aircraft carrier or spend the money elsewhere?

Or how we deal with Iraq.

But letting millions of Americans suffer so you can get a few more dollars for the wealthy? How is that good for the country?

And this fight over health care? Willing to bring down the world economy to keep the poor and the middle class from getting less expensive health care? Makes no sense to me.

Is holding all or part of the country hostage "good politics"?

Unemployment benefits: not until Bush tax cuts pass, Senate GOP says - CSMonitor.com

The inaction means the imminent loss of unemployment compensation for some 800,000 out-of-work Americans, with nearly 2 million long-term unemployed expected to be affected by Jan. 1, according to the Labor Department.

US Labor Secretary Hilda Solis, speaking Wednesday at a press conference organized by Democratic congressional leaders, said that by next spring, another 6 million unemployed workers will lose benefits if Congress does not act. “Millions of families are going to struggle to put food on the table or put gas in the gas tank,” she said.

To me, political negotiations mean "do we put a bridge here or a train", or do we build another aircraft carrier or spend the money elsewhere?

But letting millions of Americans suffer so you can get a few more dollars for the wealthy? How is that good for the country?

And this fight over health care? Willing to bring down the world economy to keep the poor and the middle class from getting less expensive health care? Makes no sense to me.

Ho noes, more welfare recipients won't get their money. Kind of the price you pay for betting your life on the largess of government. They do need time after all to steal from someone else to pay for your pathetic existence.

I'm trying to think how the wealthy are better off during a depression and a money default. I'm pretty sure their income is not going to be enhanced with a bunch of the population getting them to pay their healthcare costs.

Who exactly is the hostage here? Those that are voting for free stuff or those that are supposed to pay for it? I think you have a scewed perception of the hostage here.

Damn, look at that, rdean is criticizing the Democrats and Obama.

I bet he thinks he is trashing Republicans.

Holding the country hostage and fighting hostage taking are different. Click on the above link. That's hostage taking.

Holding the country hostage and fighting hostage taking are different. Click on the above link. That's hostage taking.

Damn, I hate being right.

Political hostage taking is lying about the economic impact if sequester to scare people into blaming Republicans for something Obama proposed.

Political hostage taking is saying it is unprecedented to use the debt cieling to win concessions on political or economic positions when it has been done for decades.

Political hostage taking is telling people that Food Stamps will be cut off because there is no money when there is plenty of money if you cut things like staff at the white House.

Political hostage taking is urging the markets to sell off because you refuse to negotiate, and blame the other side for not giving in to your unilateral demands.

In other words, everything you condemn is what Obama has done.

And the worried consternation, wringing hands, and melodrama playing out in rdeans head continues. We're all just hanging, waiting, pondering what meaningful answers will come about from rdean.

Forum List

Back