Is religion a haven for sexual deviants?

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Thinking of the predilictions of one figure in particular, the question occurs, are religions just havens for sexual deviants? "I'm not a deviant, God says it's ok." And it's not just (you know who) but my own faith has marriage permitted with girls of 12, and boys of 13. And the earliest Americans had the age of consent at 10. If they were Puritans or other Christians as they presumedly were, even allowing for shorter life expectencies, 10's pretty low.

So is religion just one big con to enable sexual deviancy to become institutionalized?

'Stricter' religions talk an awful lot about who you can't have sex with. But every time you tell people you can't have gay sex, or premarital sex, they're then thinking about who they can have sex with. It is then a kind of deliberate conditioning to get people thinking about early marriage so they can have sex?

Purity pledges and rings, proms with a girl's father, all things which bring sex to mind. All under the banner of religion. And who's the biggest proponent of marriage? Religion.

Things that make you go hmm.

When Mormonism was founded, polygany was permitted. And to very young girls. Judaism too allows young marriage even to your own nieces or cousins. As well as polygany. Islam still allows polygany and to the youngest girls of any major religion. An Egyptian lawmaker famously said, "If 6 was good enough for our prophet, it's good enough for us."

"Vatican City’s equal age of consent is being raised from 12 to 18 following the announcement of an overhaul of the Catholic Church’s criminal code by Pope Francis."
Vatican City raises age of consent from 12 to 18 following scandals Gay Star News

Even the Protestant movement the Duggars (of "19 kids and counting" fame) is embroiled in scandal,

Sex Scandal Rocks the Duggars Christian Patriarchy Movement - The Daily Beast

"Back in November 2013, Doug Phillips, who, in his capacity as the president of Vision Forum Ministries, is probably the most important leader in the world of Biblical patriarchy, confessed to cheating on his wife and resigned as president of his ministry. “I engaged in a lengthy, inappropriate relationship with a woman,” he wrote. “While we did not ‘know’ each other in a Biblical sense, it was nevertheless inappropriately romantic and affectionate.” Shortly after his confession, Vision Forum Ministries closed up shop, unable to continue with the stink of sex scandal upon them.

It’s hard to underestimate the importance of Phillips in the small world of extreme fundamentalists. His father is one of the most critical founding fathers of the Christian right movement generally, and Doug extended his work by largely building this culture of the far Christian right as we know it, especially if you watch 19 Kids & Counting. The Duggar family are friends and acolytes of Phillips, and Vision Forum, in turn, has used Michelle Duggar in their efforts to demonize contraception, including giving her an award for “Mother of the Year” for having so many children.

On Tuesday, it was revealed that there may be more to this entire scandal than the typical minister-caught-cheating story. The woman with whom Phillips confessed to an “inappropriate” relationship, named Lourdes Torres-Manteufel, filed suit in Bexar County, Texas, accusing the powerful Christian right leader of pushing her into a multi-year abusive relationship that allegedly featured frequent sexual assault. While the complaint never mentions sexual intercourse, it does claim that he repeatedly groped and masturbated on her while she protested."

"leader of Vision Forum Ministries was groomed as a ‘personal sex slave’ since the age of 15, leading her to believe they would be married, and RadarOnline.com has the court filing."
Radar Online Quiverfull Of Scandal Leader Of Religious Movement Linked To Duggar Family Sued For Allegedly Making Teen 8216 Personal Sex Slave 8217

Seems like every sex scandal involves religion, or very nearly. Why is that do you think? Could religion itself lend itself easily to such deviancy?

Never hear atheists seducing young virgins into sex assuring them "God says it's okay." :)

Messianic Jewish cult busted for prostitution in Israel,
Israeli Cult Told Women That Selling Sex Would Save Israel

"A cultish prostitution ring in Israel has for years convinced female members that the future of the Israeli state weighed on them having sex with non-Jewish men, say local police.

Eight ringleaders of what police are describing as a “messianic” cult active throughout Israel are accused of telling female recruits that they must prostitute themselves to non-Jewish men “to save the Jewish people and expedite the redemption,” Haaretz reports.

The women, who also were plied with drugs and alcohol, were told that their own spiritual redemption depended on them selling sex to the cult’s clients, say officers.

Police have shut down the alleged prostitution ring and arrested eight suspects, including David Dvash, 60, a resident of the hard-line Bat Ayin settlement in the West Bank, Haaretz reports. Dvash, who calls himself David the Best, reportedly has 15 children and is married to two women, one of whom is also a suspect in the case."

Important note: Messianic Judaism is no form of Judaism whatsoever but rather is a Protestant form of Christianity begun in the evangelical movement to lure Jews away from Judaism and into Christianity.

Seems like every sex scandal involves religion, or very nearly. Why is that do you think? Could religion itself lend itself easily to such deviancy?

Never hear atheists seducing young virgins into sex assuring them "God says it's okay." :)

While I think it would be incorrect to say that every sex scandal involves religion, it does seem that a lot of the most strident bible thumpers lead double lives. I remember laughing out loud when I first saw this -

- and there's no end to the scandals involving sex, money, underage partners, homosexuality and more among evangelicals.

Traditionally, the catholic church has done very little to stop pedo priests and instead has hidden their identity and shipped from one locale to another to protect them. Its incredible and horrifying that people continue to support "The Church" and even take their children to mass and allow them to be alter boys. What kind of self-delusion does that require?

And, its true that the religious use the excuse 'christians aren't perfect, just forgiven'. Considering what we have seen of people like Duck Dynasty and the Duggar's huge litter of weirdos, its apparent that other christians forgive damn near anything their preachers dish out.

There are sicko atheists, I'm sure but you're correct that they don't have a god to blame it on or to say 'god says its okay'.

Personally, I don't believe pedophilia is curable. Religious or not, we need to ostracize and severely punish those who take sexual advantage of children. And then we need to make sure they are never again anywhere near another child.

While I think it would be incorrect to say that every sex scandal involves religion, it does seem that a lot of the most strident bible thumpers lead double lives. I remember laughing out loud when I first saw this -

- and there's no end to the scandals involving sex, money, underage partners, homosexuality and more among evangelicals.

Traditionally, the catholic church has done very little to stop pedo priests and instead has hidden their identity and shipped from one locale to another to protect them. Its incredible and horrifying that people continue to support "The Church" and even take their children to mass and allow them to be alter boys. What kind of self-delusion does that require?

And, its true that the religious use the excuse 'christians aren't perfect, just forgiven'. Considering what we have seen of people like Duck Dynasty and the Duggar's huge litter of weirdos, its apparent that other christians forgive damn near anything their preachers dish out.

There are sicko atheists, I'm sure but you're correct that they don't have a god to blame it on or to say 'god says its okay'.

Personally, I don't believe pedophilia is curable. Religious or not, we need to ostracize and severely punish those who take sexual advantage of children. And then we need to make sure they are never again anywhere near another child.

Pedophilic scandals are thankfully rare. Mostly it seems to involve teens.

Pedophilic scandals are thankfully rare. Mostly it seems to involve teens.

I mentioned "underage partners" earlier in the post. As we saw from some posters here, when that Duck Dynsasty creep preached that adult men should marry teenage girls, "teenagers" are not considered to be children. I disagree as I believe teenagers are not yet mature enough to give consent.

I mentioned "underage partners" earlier in the post. As we saw from some posters here, when that Duck Dynsasty creep preached that adult men should marry teenage girls, "teenagers" are not considered to be children. I disagree as I believe teenagers are not yet mature enough to give consent.

Well the problem as I see it with marrying too young is your whole reference frame is limited to however old you are. If 15 a 'lifetime' to you is no more than 15 years. So promising to spend the next 80 maybe with somoene isn't anything you could reasonably be held to.

I disagree teens by virtue of simply being teens are automatically less mature though. Raise kids to be responsible and make good decisions and they will. Infantilize them and they'll turn out that way well into adulthood. The latest arguement against teens being able to consent to sex has no basic in reality. While it's true our brains don't finish developing until our mid 20s, if we're using that for an AoC age it should be in our mid 20s. Plus the double-standard is clear in how if you get married you can have sex (and get married) at younger ages than for just sexual relationships. It's thus arbitrary.

It's an old myth that teenaged girls make better wives and mothers. Is evidence to support the position the opposite is the case and there's greater likelyhood of birth defects from younger women. Only evidence I'd use to demonstrate maturity is asking where on a scale of 1 to 10 does someone place the importance of looking good? Higher values equal less maturity. :)

Thinking of the predilictions of one figure in particular, the question occurs, are religions just havens for sexual deviants? "I'm not a deviant, God says it's ok." And it's not just (you know who) but my own faith has marriage permitted with girls of 12, and boys of 13. And the earliest Americans had the age of consent at 10. If they were Puritans or other Christians as they presumedly were, even allowing for shorter life expectencies, 10's pretty low.

So is religion just one big con to enable sexual deviancy to become institutionalized?

"So is religion just one big con to enable sexual deviancy to become institutionalized?"

is the pope catholic

Forum List

Back