Debate Now Is "Structured Debate" another Euphemism for Censorship?

I rather like the idea of a structured debate forum. Some may like USMB the way it is, but under current structures the level of conversation in most threads is fairly low level, trolling tends to be high, personal attacks high, un-sourced claims high, etc. Even when you can engage someone such engagement usually gets drowned out in a sea of one liners. In short, there is currently no real incentive for the generation of higher quality discourse wtihin these boards. Posting genuine, well thought out and sourced replies (the foundation of robust conversation) takes time, and being able to control the parameters of discussion creates a platform in which that time is less likely to be drowned out. I don't think this sub-forum will be for everyone, but I can see how it would be beneficial for those who want to escape the frivolity of some of the other sub-forums.

It would seem that serial repeaters of the above could be remedied with suspensions and sanctions. And you would not have to do it with everyone; a few high profile sanctions and the rest of the knuckleheads takes note. Something like an icon beneath the person's avatar or an avatar that shows you're a serial offender.

Like your reputation on EBAY....when you have a seller who has a lot of negative ratings, you tend not to do business with her or him.

When I, too, first saw this forum, I had high hopes because I'm very good at sourcing my claims and state clearly why I believe what I believe. Unfortunately (or fortunately), those who have trouble with digesting reality have used it as a shelter from being exposed.

I rather like the idea of a structured debate forum. Some may like USMB the way it is, but under current structures the level of conversation in most threads is fairly low level, trolling tends to be high, personal attacks high, un-sourced claims high, etc. Even when you can engage someone such engagement usually gets drowned out in a sea of one liners. In short, there is currently no real incentive for the generation of higher quality discourse wtihin these boards. Posting genuine, well thought out and sourced replies (the foundation of robust conversation) takes time, and being able to control the parameters of discussion creates a platform in which that time is less likely to be drowned out. I don't think this sub-forum will be for everyone, but I can see how it would be beneficial for those who want to escape the frivolity of some of the other sub-forums.

It would seem that serial repeaters of the above could be remedied with suspensions and sanctions. And you would not have to do it with everyone; a few high profile sanctions and the rest of the knuckleheads takes note. Something like an icon beneath the person's avatar or an avatar that shows you're a serial offender.

Like your reputation on EBAY....when you have a seller who has a lot of negative ratings, you tend not to do business with her or him.

When I, too, first saw this forum, I had high hopes because I'm very good at sourcing my claims and state clearly why I believe what I believe. Unfortunately (or fortunately), those who have trouble with digesting reality have used it as a shelter from being exposed.
Odd I've never seen you as someone that's good at sourcing your claims. But yes you have been brutally clear about the things you believe.

Last edited:

Odd I've never seen you a someone that's good at sourcing your claims. But yes you have been brutally clear about the things you believe.

Her posts were either direct questions to the OP or positions that were backed with credible sources.

Odd I've never seen you a someone that's good at sourcing your claims. But yes you have been brutally clear about the things you believe.

Her posts were either direct questions to the OP or positions that were backed with credible sources.
Yeah like media matters and the democrat underground.

Onus is on you to prove that what they provided was not credible with your own credible links. If you can't then her links stand uncontested.

Onus is on you to prove that what they provided was not credible with your own credible links. If you can't then her links stand uncontested.
Yawn.

Each article has to be evaluated on it's own merits. However, it seems our methodology for evaluating articles leaves something to be desired.

Simply ignore the OP stating the OP is the judge on what is appropriate. If it is not supported by traditional definition, call it out. Every time.

Forum List

Back