Israel's Orthodox Protest Draft

SayMyName

Live, Love, Laugh.
Dec 30, 2011
Shanghai, China
Ultra orthodox Jews in Israel took to the streets to protests the recent change in government policy that would see them also accountable to being drafted in the military. Among many secular Israelis this has long been a bone of contention with the government, not seeing it as fair that so many that reap so much in terms of reward in the nation contribute so little by way of its defense.

Ultra-orthodox to rally against draft law in Jerusalem - National Israel News | Haaretz

Your thoughts.

Ultra orthodox Jews in Israel took to the streets to protests the recent change in government policy that would see them also accountable to being drafted in the military. Among many secular Israelis this has long been a bone of contention with the government, not seeing it as fair that so many that reap so much in terms of reward in the nation contribute so little by way of its defense.

Ultra-orthodox to rally against draft law in Jerusalem - National Israel News | Haaretz

Your thoughts.

Ultra-Orthodox Jews should contribute and serve in the Army.

If not the military, they should serve the country in some other way. It should be something everyone does for their particular country. JMHO

Yes, I agree that if they want the protection that Israel offers ALL Israeli citizens, then they should serve their country in some way so they are contributing.

They want all the handouts and none of the responsibilty.
What's disgusting is that they hide behind their religiousity.

"...The children of Reuben and the children of Gad had a very great multitude of cattle; and when they saw the land of Jazer, and the land of Gilead, that, behold, the place was a place for cattle, they came and spoke unto Moses, and to Eleazar the priest, and unto the princes of the congregation, saying:

'If we have found favour in thy sight, let this land be given unto thy servants for a possession; bring us not over the Jordan.'

And Moses said unto the children of Gad and to the children of Reuben: 'Shall your brethren go to the war, and shall ye sit here?' "

(Numbers 32:5)

Every citizen of a country like Israel, who relies on its population for survival must answer the call.
The Ultra Orthodox serve no tangible benefit at all, by their continuous religious studies and are a general drag in the country.

About time their attitude changed to a more patriotic one!

Every citizen of a country like Israel, who relies on its population for survival must answer the call.
The Ultra Orthodox serve no tangible benefit at all, by their continuous religious studies and are a general drag in the country.

I don't even know what Ultra Orthodox means.
These guys are NOT sitting and learning Torah all day long.
They are involved in commerce just like everyone else.
They are a voting block whose day has come and gone.

They should join the Military.

Period.

They should join the Military.

Period.

If they refuse to serve their country like everyone else then they should lose all the benefits and be asked politely to leave until they change their minds.

During my business run-ins with them, I learned that they don't consider other Jews as Jews.

So they want these same Jews who are non Jews to them, to put their lives on the line to protect them? Hell no. They have to pitch in. I can't believe Israel let them get away with it in the first place.

If not the military, they should serve the country in some other way. It should be something everyone does for their particular country. JMHO

There are a lot of ways of serving that don't involve military. We have religious groups who don't believe in violence but chose to serve (when we had the draft) in other ways. There is always the need. In a country like Israel, where conflict is always around the corner - it's shameful to live off the service (or lives) of others like that. But they are a very potent voting block despite being a minority.

During my business run-ins with them, I learned that they don't consider other Jews as Jews.

So they want these same Jews who are non Jews to them, to put their lives on the line to protect them? Hell no. They have to pitch in. I can't believe Israel let them get away with it in the first place.

If they so object to military service, there are other ways they can be made to serve their country.
Time for them to come out the 17th century and into the 21st. Most jews are not orthodox thank goodness. It is OK for people to hold hand, and touch skin. Women are permitted to drive and we shun people for mixing fabrics. People get out and have lives beyond praying and studying old text and debating what how this or that word changes the meaning of a sentence.

There are a lot of ways of serving that don't involve military. We have religious groups who don't believe in violence but chose to serve (when we had the draft) in other ways. There is always the need. In a country like Israel, where conflict is always around the corner - it's shameful to live off the service (or lives) of others like that. But they are a very potent voting block despite being a minority.

Yes they can act as medical orderlies in the field, or stretcher bearers, instead of being lazy cowards that just want to fornicate and read scrolls all day every day. While living of the backs of working stifs

Yes they can act as medical orderlies in the field, or stretcher bearers, instead of being lazy cowards that just want to fornicate and read scrolls all day every day. While living of the backs of working stifs

Well.....I wasn't going to be quite so blunt about it :lol:

But ya....

They do have substantial political clout as well as a high birthrate though.

Drafting is within Israeli law. One who doesn't go to the IDF is committing offense.

For that we have the National Civilian service; Problem is, Hareidi Jews don't go there, either, but do get benefits from the country and cry aloud once business places and work sites prefer those who didn't dodge.

If they want to stay in the Yeshiva and let the others fight, they are more than welcome to do that. But they won't be doing that using secular pay-checks and taxes.

Nuh-uh.:eusa_hand:

If they so object to military service, there are other ways they can be made to serve their country.
Time for them to come out the 17th century and into the 21st. Most jews are not orthodox thank goodness. It is OK for people to hold hand, and touch skin. Women are permitted to drive and we shun people for mixing fabrics. People get out and have lives beyond praying and studying old text and debating what how this or that word changes the meaning of a sentence.

There is nothing wrong with being orthodox. Just like seculars have certain life-styles, so do they. Our problem is not with how they live, our problem is that they go against the secular regime while at the same time using most of it sources.

There's more than one kind of Haredi Jews in Israel. There are those who're very involved and help and vote and respect the state.

And there are those like Satmar and Neturei Karta who do not. So it depends which kind of ultra orthodox you speak of.

Well.....I wasn't going to be quite so blunt about it :lol:

But ya....

They do have substantial political clout as well as a high birthrate though.

Hareidi Jews have a lot of qualities that they can use and give, just like the Nachal Hareidi do.

I love them, they're awesome:D

2.jpg

%D7%A9%D7%99%D7%A2%D7%95%D7%A8-%D7%A8%D7%91-1000x350.png

Even though they live in modern, advanced societies, most of them are literally stuck in the 17th century like you said. I wouldn't last a day living like they do. It requires conditioning from an early age. From the food they eat, to the schools their kids go to, to their culture, they are extremely insular and trust no one.

Personally though, I have nothing against them, they are very peaceful and mind their own business. If they wish to live like that that is their choice. But they have to serve their country in some capacity.

Forum List

Back