It's a mad mad mad mad .... America...

midcan5

liberal / progressive
Jun 4, 2007
America
I was recently thinking about writing a piece on the madness and humor of modern America - a juxtaposition of reality and the activities of our news and newsmakers. Our congress and several state houses are so absurdist one wonders if even a Jonathan Swift could capture the comedy called legislation. Then watch the news and you feel like it is really all make believe. So seeing this test was like a breath of fresh air or was that something else. I managed seven correct, but I admit it was only by selecting the most absurd that I scored so high. :lol:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/07/04/opinion/04-gail-collins-quiz.html

"But the deep background that lies behind and beyond what we call humor is revealed only to the few who, by instinct or by effort, have given thought to it. The world's humor, in its best and greatest sense, is perhaps the highest product of our civilization. Its basis lies in the deeper contrasts offered by life itself: the strange incongruity between our aspiration and our achievement, the eager and fretful anxieties of today that fade into nothingness tomorrow, the burning pain and the sharp sorrow that are softened in the gentle retrospect of time, till as we look back upon the course that has been traversed, we pass in view the panorama of our lives, as people in old age may recall, with mingled tears and smiles, the angry quarrels of their childhood. And here, in its larger aspect, humor is blended with pathos till the two are one, and represent, as they have in every age, the mingled heritage of tears and laughter that is our lot on earth." Stephen Leacock

Last edited:

Forum List

Back