It's not all about baking cakes...

NYcarbineer

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2009
Finger Lakes, NY
Catholic school teacher fired after parents learn of her same-sex marriage

A religious education teacher was fired from a Catholic elementary school outside Philadelphia after she refused to resign when parents complained about her same-sex marriage, according to a
report by the Philadelphia Inquirer.

Margie Winters, a well-respected teacher at Waldron Mercy Academy in Merion, Pennsylvania, was fired by letter on 22 June, just days before a historic US supreme court ruling
legalized same-sex marriage across the country.

Take note, this school does get taxpayer funding. Noted in the article.

I wonder if someone can get a comment from the Pope on this one. lol

Catholic school teacher fired after parents learn of her same-sex marriage US news The Guardian

Wonder what conditions were in the contract she signed?

She knew that this was a religious school that did not approve of perversion. Did she think she was entitled to an exception?

WillHaftawaite

Uh, you DO know that's a satire site, right?

RWs will believe anything.

:uhoh3:

As your hero, Homer, would say, "DOH"

and it points out how ridiculous the whole lawsuit was.

Lady got fired from her teaching job?

happens all the time when people violate their contract.

Didn't read the article, did you.

Its the school that broke the law:

“I actually had a conversation with the principal a few weeks after I was hired, to say, ‘How should I handle this,’” Winters said.

“So that’s what I’ve done,” she said. “I’ve never been open. And that’s been hard.”

Lower Merion township, where the school is located, has an anti-discrimination ordinance that protects employees from being fired for, among other reasons, sexual orientation. The ordinance carves out exemptions for religious institutions – unless those institutions are supported “in whole or in part by governmental appropriations”.

The Inquirer noted that over the past two years, Waldron Mercy Academy has received $270,000 from a statewide tax credit program.

WillHaftawaite

“I actually had a conversation with the principal a few weeks after I was hired, to say, ‘How should I handle this,’” Winters said.

“So that’s what I’ve done,” she said. “I’ve never been open. And that’s been hard.”

Lower Merion township, where the school is located, has an anti-discrimination ordinance that protects employees from being fired for, among other reasons, sexual orientation. The ordinance carves out exemptions for religious institutions – unless those institutions are supported “in whole or in part by governmental appropriations”.

The Inquirer noted that over the past two years, Waldron Mercy Academy has received $270,000 from a statewide tax credit program.

Also in your link: "Winters was reportedly fired after parents discovered she was married to a woman. One parent complained to the school and another to the archdiocese of Philadelphia. The archdiocese has said it had nothing to do with Winters’ dismissal."

Was there a provision in her contract that would make her marriage cause for dismissal?

Was she, in fact, fired because of the marriage, of did they find another reason that DID violate her contract, and she is blaming her dismissal on her marriage?

ie she was required to grow roses in her classroom, and she grew violets instead?

If they can prove they DIDN'T fire her because of her marriage, but for some other violation

A religious education teacher was fired from a Catholic elementary school outside Philadelphia after she refused to resign when parents complained about her same-sex marriage, according to a

Margie Winters, a well-respected teacher at Waldron Mercy Academy in Merion, Pennsylvania, was fired by letter on 22 June, just days before a historic US supreme court ruling

Catholic school teacher fired after parents learn of her same-sex marriage US news The Guardian

Yep, this is where we're really going. Can not for profit corporations that are run by religious organizations hire and fire based on sexual orientation?

WillHaftawaite

Also in your link: "Winters was reportedly fired after parents discovered she was married to a woman. One parent complained to the school and another to the archdiocese of Philadelphia. The archdiocese has said it had nothing to do with Winters’ dismissal."

Was there a provision in her contract that would make her marriage cause for dismissal?

Was she, in fact, fired because of the marriage, of did they find another reason that DID violate her contract, and she is blaming her dismissal on her marriage?

ie she was required to grow roses in her classroom, and she grew violets instead?

If they can prove they DIDN'T fire her because of her marriage, but for some other violation

They always say they fired the gay for some 'other' reason.

Don't worry - the lawyer will be all over this and she'll walk away with millions.
If I were gay, I would hope to get mistreated so I could get rich. What a joke. Repressed? Please!

Don't worry - the lawyer will be all over this and she'll walk away with millions.
If I were gay, I would hope to get mistreated so I could get rich. What a joke. Repressed? Please!

Gays are the new protected class that apparently can do whatever they want and demand whatever they want from whomever they want with totally impunity.

WillHaftawaite

They always say they fired the gay for some 'other' reason.

an employer should be able to fire an employee for any reason, or no reason.

If she signed a morality clause for her employment, which is rather likely, then she must suffer the consequences of violating her contract.

Forum List

Back