'It's not your fault': Some furloughed by shutdown turn to charities for food

hvactec

VIP Member
Jan 17, 2010
New Jersey
4:24 PM EDT, Mon October 14, 2013

Calvert County, Maryland (CNN) -- Getting out of her car, the wife of a furloughed government worker walked toward a small building full of free food.

She approached the door with her head down. An attendant asked for her name, she looked up and began to sob.

"It's ok, it's not your fault," the volunteer said as she wrapped her arms around the crying woman.

Chesapeake Cares Food Pantry, located 30 miles from the political impasse in Washington that resulted in the shutdown, put together a food giveaway tailored to affected workers not at their jobs and not being paid.

Roughly 200 people received bags of frozen meat, canned vegetables and other staples on Monday morning.
The shutdown hits brewers and reality TV
Obama: Shutdown 'completely unnecessary'
Senate gets closer to a deal

"These folks (furloughed government employees) don't know how to be poor," said Rev. Robert Hahn, the head End Hunger in Calvert County, a consortium of food pantries in the area. "These folks are fish out of water and they feel humiliated, like they have lost their dignity."

This is the second offering Hahn's group has made to federal employees. Last week, the group passed out 2,700 pounds of food to 71 different families. And if the government shutdown continues, Hahn said he anticipates his group will continue this sort of offering.

The shutdown that began on October 1 has impacted hundreds of thousands of federal workers and contractors in the Washington region, including people at the epicenter of the partisan shutdown showdown in Congress.

Washington-area food banks have responded to an unexpected need this fall created by the shutdown, their efforts already tested by a continued, uneven economic recovery and tough job market.

Video - read more Some furloughed by shutdown turn to charities for food - CNN.com

It's humbling all right. I remember the Christmas after dad died. A few days prior, I spotted a box on the front porch. (I was 12 at the time)
It was full of used toys. Mom told me to choose what I thought appropriate to wrap, and toss the rest in the burn barrel. And she explicitly told me not to tell my siblings where it all came from.
To this day I don't think I've recounted this story to them.

But that's why returning to poverty doesn't scare me. Been there several times during my life, and if that's in the cards... well so be it.

Poverty does not mean lack of wealth. Or pride, or dignity. Or happiness for that matter.

Poverty does, however, suck balls.

Last edited:
How long have they been furloughed? A week?

They shouldn't be out of food yet. What a bunch of b.s....

Also, when determining whether or not people are eligible for assistance, food pantries look at their income in the month they apply. These people haven't even missed a paycheck yet.

Cripes you people are stupid.

If they didn't plan for some disruption of their normal routine, then they deserve to starve. It didn't even need to be because of this furlough, but for any disruption like weather or earthquake or road closure or war or anything. Keep a couple of weeks worth of food and water on hand at all times just in case.

When little Susie asks mommy where the food is, mommy should have to answer that she didn't love Susie enough to buy a few extra cans of Chef Boyardee a few weeks back.

It's humbling all right. I remember the Christmas after dad died. A few days prior, I spotted a box on the front porch. (I was 12 at the time)
It was full of used toys. Mom told me to choose what I thought appropriate to wrap, and toss the rest in the burn barrel. And she explicitly told me not to tell my siblings where it all came from.
To this day I don't think I've recounted this story to them.

But that's why returning to poverty doesn't scare me. Been there several times during my life, and if that's in the cards... well so be it.

Poverty does not mean lack of wealth. Or pride, or dignity. Or happiness for that matter.

Poverty does, however, suck balls.

There was many times I wished for a wish sandwich.

If they didn't plan for some disruption of their normal routine, then they deserve to starve. It didn't even need to be because of this furlough, but for any disruption like weather or earthquake or road closure or war or anything. Keep a couple of weeks worth of food and water on hand at all times just in case.

When little Susie asks mommy where the food is, mommy should have to answer that she didn't love Susie enough to buy a few extra cans of Chef Boyardee a few weeks back.

Remind us not to ever throw you a life jacket when your drowning.

Charity starts at home. It's hard to feel bad for someone who doesn't even keep a couple of weeks worth of canned goods on hand just in case.

Be Prepared isn't just the Boy Scout marching song, but a damned good idea. How many of those people don't have fresh batteries in flashlights or a couple cans of Sterno or even a few bottles of water lying around? I'm not going to cry about their situation if they never took any actions to help themselves ahead of time.

Also, when determining whether or not people are eligible for assistance, food pantries look at their income in the month they apply. These people haven't even missed a paycheck yet.

Cripes you people are stupid.

Not always, only when the goods have come from the govt.
there are some that give away food stuffs without paper work. Read the Bible, Jesus does it several times.

Its called savings. Stop paying for the internet, cell bill and turn off the cable. How much anyone want to bet these people still have all these entertainment items going but cant feed themselves.

Charity is a conservative thing. Those churches you liberals hate and talk so bad about feed more and help more people in need than you lazy leeches that have no problem taking from them while bashing them. You liberals have no pride and its a shame you are called Americans.

Forum List

Back