🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

John Stossel: Everyone Should Worry About Militarization Of Police...

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
Conservatives, libertarians and liberals should all worry about the militarization of police

I want the police to be better armed than the bad guys, but what exactly does that mean today?

Apparently it means the Pentagon and Department of Homeland Security equip even the tiniest rural police departments with massive military vehicles, body armor and grenade launchers. The equipment is surplus from the long wars we fought in Iraq and Afghanistan.

To a hammer, everything resembles a nail. SWAT (Special Weapons and Tactics) teams were once used only in emergencies such as riots or robberies where hostages were taken. But today there are more than 50,000 "no-knock raids" a year.

It's not because crime got worse. There is less crime today. Crime peaked around 1990 and is now at a 40-year low. But as politicians keep passing new criminal laws, police find new reasons to deploy their heavy equipment.

Washington Post reporter Radley Balko points out that they've used SWAT teams to raid such threatening haunts as truck stops with video poker machines, unlicensed barber shops and a frat house where underage drinking was reported.

In New York City, these men in black raided standup comedian Joe Lipari's apartment.

"I had bad customer service at the Apple Store," Lipari told me in an interview for my upcoming TV special "Policing America." "So I bitched about it on Facebook. I thought I was funny. I quoted 'Fight Club,'" the 1999 movie about bored yuppies who attack parts of consumer culture they hate.

"People (on Facebook) were immediately responding that it was obviously from 'Fight Club,'" says Lipari. "It was a good time, until 90 minutes later, a SWAT team knocked on my door. Everyone's got their guns drawn."...

More:
Conservatives, libertarians and liberals should all worry about the militarization of police | Fox News

The ACLU published a very good piece on this in June that breaks it down into stats the flag wavers can't argue with.

We've filled our streets with armed soldiers just like the NAZI's after WWI. Eventually, they became brown shirts and SA.

What you aren't considering is the criminals today are also militarized. Drug gangs, gangs and nut cases use body armor and kill people without a second thought.

So would you rather them control our streets? You losertrians are the dumbest mother fuckers around.

it was bad enough when cops were beating down aggitators with clubs. just wait til they start rolling over them with tanks

What you aren't considering is the criminals today are also militarized. Drug gangs, gangs and nut cases use body armor and kill people without a second thought.

So would you rather them control our streets? You losertrians are the dumbest mother fuckers around.

Try reading the whole piece. Then feel free to comment.

John Stossel is a moron - but even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while.

I happen to agree with him on this.

YOU calling someone else, anyone else, a loser is simply hysterical.

John Stossel is a moron - but even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while.

I happen to agree with him on this.

John Stossel is far from being a "moron." But you on the other hand?...

Forum List

Back