John Tanner and Jim Cooper Fairness and Independence in Redistricting Act

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
I have my doubts this will pass, but it's badly needed. Gerrymandering has become absurd and it's also becoming unfair to the country as whole. You have states like Ohio and Wisconsin being unfairly gerrymandered by Republicans and states like Illinois and Maryland being unfairly gerrymandered by Democrats. Meanwhile, other states like New York had their districts drawn more fairly by an independent commissioner. There needs to be a uniform standard across the country. Voters should be choosing their representatives, not the other way around.

I have my doubts this will pass, but it's badly needed. Gerrymandering has become absurd and it's also becoming unfair to the country as whole. You have states like Ohio and Wisconsin being unfairly gerrymandered by Republicans and states like Illinois and Maryland being unfairly gerrymandered by Democrats. Meanwhile, other states like New York had their districts drawn more fairly by an independent commissioner. There needs to be a uniform standard across the country. Voters should be choosing their representatives, not the other way around.

Draw districts using a computer

Patrick Henry used redistricting to settle an old score with political foe and fellow Founding Father James Madison (almost preventing the Bill of Rights from happening) (I can tell you the whole story if you're interested)

This bill is about 200 years too late!

Maybe the best way to do it, but even computers are subject to the bias of the programmers. There have to be clear cut guidelines.
Base it on the census where the computer divides the state into districts

Not even a woke computer programer can screw that up

Base it on the census where the computer divides the state into districts

Not even a woke computer programer can screw that up

I still think districts should be drawn with some consideration of the type of population, however. I think urban people should be together, suburban together, rural together, because those groups will have common interests. I'm opposed to drawing based on political party afiliation or race.

The most notorious gerrymandered districts in the U.S. were created by democrats. Gerrymandering was named after a democrat. The only time democrats complain about the system is when they are in the minority.

I TOLD YOU elections are a laughable RIGGED farce. The people don't choose their representatives, the parties RIG the districts then hand pick the candidates and attack anyone who dares run against their bought and paid for party hack.

The "snake on the lake" was always a real crowd pleaser. ;)

7j48fz.jpg

They would actually go and check the lake level to make sure it stayed continuous.....When it wasn't the dems would go to court but by the time it was heard the lake level would recede and it would be continuous again.

I heard that it might be broken-up due to the 2020 census and OH losing a seat but I don't know if it has been.

She won how many more votes than Trump in states she won? That is where the 2.9 million came from. The Electoral College works!

Gerrymandering only effects Maine and Nebraska in presidential elections.

I still think districts should be drawn with some consideration of the type of population, however. I think urban people should be together, suburban together, rural together, because those groups will have common interests. I'm opposed to drawing based on political party afiliation or race.
There are good arguments both ways

But the computer is not gerrymandered

Forum List

Back