Kerry having a hard time gathering volunteers

MtnBiker

Sep 28, 2003
Rocky Mountains
I WON'T FOLLOW HIM
For all the excitement about presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Sen. John Kerry, it isn't translating into volunteers for his campaign. In fact, according to a Kerry campaign staffer in Florida, the Kerry camp is surprised by the lack of paid staff and volunteer crossover from other dead Democratic primary campaigns to theirs.

"We aren't getting a lot of young people coming on board to help from other campaigns, like Gephardt and Clark and Dean," says the Kerry staffer. "We don't know if it's sour grapes, lack of enthusiasm, or them just being fried from the primary season."

Kerry has made some strategic hires from other campaigns, particularly to fill regional positions. But he apparently has failed to get many Democratic worker bees' hearts racing.

One potential hire, a former Clark campaign aide, was recently offered a position by the Kerry campaign, but turned it down. She may end up working for MoveOn.org or might sign on to do some consulting for Howard Dean's new 527.

"I thought about Senator Kerry, but couldn't get into it. He just isn't my guy," says the former Clark staffer. "General Clark didn't turn out to be everything we hoped, but he was someone I could admire. Kerry just doesn't have what Clark or Dean has. I couldn't work for him."

According to a DNC source, the party overall is not having trouble finding volunteers to help with the convention or at headquarters. "But I know that in some areas, down south in Florida, and in the Midwest, Kerry is having trouble getting large numbers. He's banking on the unions sending him some help. By now, he should be turning volunteers away, but he has time to get things straightened out."

Full Story

Who was it on the board that said Kerry's secret weapon was Dean's campaign organization?

I saw on Fox the other day that Kerry is not getting Dems excited One guy being interviewd even said he wouldn't be surprised if they dumped him. I don't think that would happen at this point,but he isn't getting the job done for the Dems the way Clinton did...too bad:cool: :D

I'm quite sure this is just a preemptive sabotage from the clintons in order to get her elected next round! Otherwise, why aren't they cheering on their little liberal colleague???

yes moi. I agree. That's the Dick Morris theory of all things democrat lately as well. And he used to be their guy. Don't you think he may have some insight?

In the context of a clinton conspiracy model of the democratic party, all facts are explained.

Originally posted by Moi
I'm quite sure this is just a preemptive sabotage from the clintons in order to get her elected next round! Otherwise, why aren't they cheering on their little liberal colleague???

Ding-Ding

Tell em whats they've won.

I'm begining to see this more and more. They seem to be trying to half-heartedly support Kerry. The fanatics support him just because his not Bush. When 2008 comes around, Clinton will have the fanatics and the regulars worked up into a frenzy. This election is just for show. The next one is the big dance.

Who on earth would the Dump Kerry for at the convention? Edwards? You know they sure as heck wont give it to Dean. But is this a Clinton set up for Edwards so get him out of the running in 08 as well?

You have to know if there are people debating whether to dump Kerry enough to admit it to the press that its serious.

How many John McCain people went to work for Bush/Cheney? Of course a lot of these people don't want to work for Kerry. That doesn't mean they don't support him or won't vote for him. It stands to reason that getting volunteers in early May, especially amongst younger people might be difficult. High school and college classes are winding down with final exams on the horizon. The beginning of summer tends to be a time when people do their moving, changing jobs, etc. for the year. I'll bet by the beginning of June Kerry will have no problem getting volunteers.

BTW, I was the person who mentioned Dean's organization as a tool for the Kerry campaign though I don't remember using the words "secret weapon". I do think the Dean organization will be of great help to Kerry.

As for Dick Morris, he's only concerned with Dick Morris. Dick Morris flip-flops more than a McDonald's cook.

acludem

Forum List

Back