Kudos to Senator Durbin for going to the Senate to engage Cruz: Transcript Link

tinydancer

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2010
This was awesome and I admire him greatly for taking the time to participate in this.

What happened last night on the Senate Floor was magnificent.

Voices were heard from individuals representing their constituencies and not their party or party leaders or those Senators who feel they have the right to rule because of seniority as if they were Senators in Rome.

Bravo to all these great public servants. Because they have proved they listen to those who sent them to Washington.

The transcript is at the link. It is wonderful. I wish I had television so I could have witnessed this.

Kudos once more to Senator Durbin.

Mr. DURBIN. Will the Senator yield for a question?

The PRESIDING OFFICER (Mr. Kaine). Will the Senator yield?

Mr. CRUZ. I am happy to yield for a question without yielding the floor.

The PRESIDING OFFICER. The Senator from Illinois.

Mr. DURBIN. My understanding is that the Senator's position is, if we do not defund ObamaCare, as he has characterized it--the health care reform act--that he believes we should shut down the government on October 1. Is that the Senator's position?

And it goes from there.

TRANSCRIPT: Sen. Ted Cruz's filibuster against Obamacare | The Washington Post

Didn't Cruz mop the floor with Durbin?

If you go to the link the exchange was excellent and very respectful.

As far as arguments put forward I'd give the win to Cruz but you have to remember that despite all those fools who keep referring to Cruz as a Junior Senator he was voted by American Lawyer magazine as one of the top 50 lawyers in the country under 45 among other accolades.

But truly Senator Durbin really showed testicular fortitude going up against him in a really fabulous exchange.

Senator Cruz knows how to argue. :eusa_angel: Read this and you'll see why I admire Durbin for having the balls to engage Cruz.

Cruz has authored more than 80 United States Supreme Court briefs and presented 43 oral arguments, including nine before the United States Supreme Court.

Cruz's record of having argued before the Supreme Court nine times is more than any practicing lawyer in Texas or any current member of Congress.

Cruz has commented on his nine cases in front of the U.S. Supreme Court: "We ended up year after year arguing some of the biggest cases in the country. There was a degree of serendipity in that, but there was also a concerted effort to seek out and lead conservative fights."

In the landmark case of District of Columbia v. Heller, Cruz drafted the amicus brief signed by attorneys general of 31 states, which said that the D.C. handgun ban should be struck down as infringing upon the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms.

Cruz also presented oral argument for the amici states in the companion case to Heller before the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.

In addition to his victory in Heller, Cruz has successfully defended the constitutionality of Ten Commandments monument on the Texas State Capitol grounds before the Fifth Circuit and the U.S. Supreme Court, winning 5-4 in Van Orden v. Perry.

Cruz authored a U.S. Supreme Court brief for all 50 states successfully defending the recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance in public schools, winning 9-0 in Elk Grove Unified School District v. Newdow.

Cruz served as lead counsel for the state and successfully defended the multiple litigation challenges to the 2003 Texas congressional redistricting plan in state and federal district courts and before the U.S. Supreme Court, winning 5-4 in League of United Latin American Citizens v. Perry.

Cruz also successfully defended, in Medellin v. Texas, the State of Texas against an attempt by the International Court of Justice to re-open the criminal convictions of 51 murderers on death row throughout the United States.

Cruz has been named by American Lawyer magazine as one of the 50 Best Litigators under 45 in America, by The National Law Journal as one of the 50 Most Influential Minority Lawyers in America, and by Texas Lawyer as one of the 25 Greatest Texas Lawyers of the Past Quarter Century

Ted Cruz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Just saw Peter King saying Cruz is a "fraud".

Looks like they're using him the way they used the birther nuts. Let Cruz say the really stupid stuff so the other Rs can distance themselves from him later.

Whatever, Cruz is just the latest in the many dog and pony shows the Rs put on instead of actually doing their fucking job.

Just saw Peter King saying Cruz is a "fraud".

Looks like they're using him the way they used the birther nuts. Let Cruz say the really stupid stuff so the other Rs can distance themselves from him later.

Whatever, Cruz is just the latest in the many dog and pony shows the Rs put on instead of actually doing their fucking job.

Peter King has ceased to be relevant for many a year now. The old RINO's don't like the young bucks coming in and stealing their thunder.

King obviously needs to see his name in lights again so he's making the circuit dissing fellow Republicans.

That's a guaranteed free lunch for him on all the progressive shows.

King is a has been and he is worried that the Conservative base is leaving him behind while picking people like Cruz and Rubio.. Neither are perfect, but either one is better for Conservatives than most of the entrenched Republicans in office today.

No, cruz didn't mop the floor with Durbin.

I'm hearing mixed reports and didn't here the exchange myself. But listening to the talking heads on talk radio today it seemed so.

Talk radio thrives on people blindly accepting whatever they say

Never have more truthful words been spoken. It's probably why liberal talk radio never really took off; they're much harder to lead around by the nose.

As far as arguments put forward I'd give the win to Cruz but you have to remember that despite all those fools who keep referring to Cruz as a Junior Senator he was voted by American Lawyer magazine as one of the top 50 lawyers in the country under 45 among other accolades.

But truly Senator Durbin really showed testicular fortitude going up against him in a really fabulous exchange.

Senator Cruz knows how to argue. :eusa_angel: Read this and you'll see why I admire Durbin for having the balls to engage Cruz.

Cruz has authored more than 80 United States Supreme Court briefs and presented 43 oral arguments, including nine before the United States Supreme Court.

Cruz's record of having argued before the Supreme Court nine times is more than any practicing lawyer in Texas or any current member of Congress.

Cruz has commented on his nine cases in front of the U.S. Supreme Court: "We ended up year after year arguing some of the biggest cases in the country. There was a degree of serendipity in that, but there was also a concerted effort to seek out and lead conservative fights."

In the landmark case of District of Columbia v. Heller, Cruz drafted the amicus brief signed by attorneys general of 31 states, which said that the D.C. handgun ban should be struck down as infringing upon the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms.

Cruz also presented oral argument for the amici states in the companion case to Heller before the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.

In addition to his victory in Heller, Cruz has successfully defended the constitutionality of Ten Commandments monument on the Texas State Capitol grounds before the Fifth Circuit and the U.S. Supreme Court, winning 5-4 in Van Orden v. Perry.

Cruz authored a U.S. Supreme Court brief for all 50 states successfully defending the recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance in public schools, winning 9-0 in Elk Grove Unified School District v. Newdow.

Cruz served as lead counsel for the state and successfully defended the multiple litigation challenges to the 2003 Texas congressional redistricting plan in state and federal district courts and before the U.S. Supreme Court, winning 5-4 in League of United Latin American Citizens v. Perry.

Cruz also successfully defended, in Medellin v. Texas, the State of Texas against an attempt by the International Court of Justice to re-open the criminal convictions of 51 murderers on death row throughout the United States.

Cruz has been named by American Lawyer magazine as one of the 50 Best Litigators under 45 in America, by The National Law Journal as one of the 50 Most Influential Minority Lawyers in America, and by Texas Lawyer as one of the 25 Greatest Texas Lawyers of the Past Quarter Century

Wow, that's pretty impressive.

I'm hearing mixed reports and didn't here the exchange myself. But listening to the talking heads on talk radio today it seemed so.

Talk radio thrives on people blindly accepting whatever they say

Never have more truthful words been spoken. It's probably why liberal talk radio never really took off; they're much harder to lead around by the nose.

Candy, there's Randi Rhodes, Stephanie Miller, Thom Hartman, Ed Shultz, Alan Colmes, just to name a few, all doin good out there.

This was awesome and I admire him greatly for taking the time to participate in this.

Voices were heard from individuals representing their constituencies and not their party or party leaders or those Senators who feel they have the right to rule because of seniority as if they were Senators in Rome.

Bravo to all these great public servants. Because they have proved they listen to those who sent them to Washington.

The transcript is at the link. It is wonderful. I wish I had television so I could have witnessed this.

Mr. DURBIN. My understanding is that the Senator's position is, if we do not defund ObamaCare, as he has characterized it--the health care reform act--that he believes we should shut down the government on October 1. Is that the Senator's position?

And it goes from there.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atA7687VY7M]Ted Cruz standing-up to Dick.. I mean Sen. Dick Durbin. - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79i-SgVNJto]Dick Durbin makes it personal - mocks & attacks Ted Cruz' education on Senate floor - YouTube[/ame]

Yes he did. Durbin looked like the ill informed *sshole he always has been and couldn't even keep up with Cruz after a night of no sleep.

That's the way I heard it anyway.
It's pretty funny this was the best Durbin could come up with after a full nights sleep and consideration of what he was going to say to Cruz. And Cruz batted him down like an irritating bug.

Wow, that's pretty impressive.

I had to credit where credit is due.

Durbin at least had the testicular fortitude to go in and engage Cruz. And he did it with class and no name calling as compared to Harry Reid.

And it goes from there.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atA7687VY7M]Ted Cruz standing-up to Dick.. I mean Sen. Dick Durbin. - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79i-SgVNJto]Dick Durbin makes it personal - mocks & attacks Ted Cruz' education on Senate floor - YouTube[/ame]

Oh I know Durbin can be a Dick (no pun intended) but at least from the transcript I read he played it decent last night.

All in all, and I'm talking both sides of the aisle here, I don't think these old inside the beltway warhorses know what has hit them with the likes of Cruz and Paul.

Cruz's resume is to die for. And the old dude's are losing their grip. In more ways than one.

ETA: I thought that part was a great little sparring match and Cruz clocks him.

For those that might not be able to see the video, here's the part of the transcript. Durbin is no match. :)

Mr. DURBIN. The Senator has spoken at length many times, including today, about his education. I respect him. He has gone to some very famous schools. Certainly, the Senator understands it takes 60 votes to achieve the goal he is trying to achieve, which means the Senator believes he has at least all the votes on his side of the aisle and another 14 votes on the Democratic side of the aisle to repeal ObamaCare. Does the Senator have that belief?

Mr. CRUZ. I thank the Senator for that question, and I thank the Senator for the comment he has made in public, noting that having attended the schools I have that perhaps I had not learned to count to 60.

:)lol: I love that line)

I will note that I am quite familiar with what is necessary to defund ObamaCare. What I have said for months is this is a long process. I am not remotely Pollyannaish. I am not remotely under the illusion that this is going to be a short, quick process, that suddenly ObamaCare will be defunded.

And after that Cruz slays him.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/na...t-sen-ted-cruzs-filibuster-against-obamacare/

Last edited:

Forum List

Back