Leffler killed in sprint car race accident

BlueGin

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2004
How sad :(

The NASCAR community was left stunned Wednesday night by the news that driver Jason Leffler had been killed in an accident during a sprint-car race in New Jersey.

Leffler, 37, died in a crash at Bridgeport Speedway, a five-eighths mile high-banked dirt track in Swedesboro, N.J. He was pronounced dead shortly after 9 p.m. Eastern time, according to the Associated Press.

A native of Long Beach, Calif., Leffler has been a fixture at NASCAR's national level since 1999. The two-time winner on the NASCAR Nationwide Series leaves behind a young son, Charlie.

"NASCAR extends its thoughts, prayers and deepest sympathies to the family of Jason Leffler who passed away earlier this evening," NASCAR said in statement. "For more than a decade, Jason was a fierce competitor in our sport and he will be missed."

Y! SPORTS

Both of my brothers race sprint cars. They both have young children. It's a sobering story for our family to say the least.

He was from Long Beach so I'm sure he attended a few races at ASCOT Park before it closed in 1990.

R.I.P.

It's very dangerous sport.

A fact that we sometimes take for granted when we see all of the really horrendous crashes that some of these drivers just dust themselves off and walk away from.

Forum List

Back