Let's Analyze Robert Hur's Motivations

Seymour Flops

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2021
Texas
Here's his background, according to NPR:

Let's debate it vigorously, but let's also try to put our heads together and come up with a cogent theory of why he did what he did - or maybe narrow down the theories to a couple of reasonable, but competing possibilities.

What did he do?

My interpretation is that he did very much what James Comey did: He came up with a report (in Comey's case I guess it was just the opening remarks of a press conference, more than an official report), in which he first listed all the reasons that the subject should clearly be prosecuted, and then gave a pretty thin reason not to prosecute. If you saw his action differently, say so. This is intended to be a very open discussion of Hur's actions and motivation.

So, why?

What motivated him to avoid taking a stand that would have made him beloved by one "side" and hated by the other, to instead take a position almost guaranteed to make both sides very angry at him?

Let's try to keep this one clean for a while, folks, I ask very nicely.

Thanks.

Here's his background, according to NPR:

Let's debate it vigorously, but let's also try to put our heads together and come up with a cogent theory of why he did what he did - or maybe narrow down the theories to a couple of reasonable, but competing possibilities.

What did he do?

My interpretation is that he did very much what James Comey did: He came up with a report (in Comey's case I guess it was just the opening remarks of a press conference, more than an official report), in which he first listed all the reasons that the subject should clearly be prosecuted, and then gave a pretty thin reason not to prosecute. If you saw his action differently, say so. This is intended to be a very open discussion of Hur's actions and motivation.

So, why?

What motivated him to avoid taking a stand that would have made him beloved by one "side" and hated by the other, to instead take a position almost guaranteed to make both sides very angry at him?

Let's try to keep this one clean for a while, folks, I ask very nicely.

Thanks.

clearly gop strategy, articuloated by barr under oath ...

"just open the investigation and let me and the gop congressmen do the rest." trump

this, like everything since the birth certificate and before, is just character assassination and the bearing of false witness

clearly gop strategy, articuloated by barr under oath ...

"just open the investigation and let me and the gop congressmen do the rest." trump

this, like everything since the birth certificate and before, is just character assassination and the bearing of false witness
A valid opinion, if Hur’s motivation is pure partisan advantage, why not recommend prosecution after laying out all those reasons to prosecute?

This DOJ never would, but it would give Republicans more ammo..

Okay... He was a Republican Hack who really wanted to bring charges but knew he had no grounds to because he couldn't even prove that Biden knew he had the documents in question. So, like most Republican Special Prosecutors, he spreads around a lot of innuendoes and comes up with very little in terms of actual charges.

He wasn't Ken Starr-level awful, who spent 70 million dollars, and the only thing he proved was Clinton lied about getting a blow job. But then again, he knew that he really had to serve this hot Nothingburger before the election. After the election, it really wouldn't matter.

Of course, he didn't count on the Democrats actually fighting back for a change.

A valid opinion, if Hur’s motivation is pure partisan advantage, why not recommend prosecution after laying out all those reasons to prosecute?

prosecuting biden weakens many of trump's "immunity" smoke screens , and, of course, dear leader's welfare is imperative

Because if he did, he'd have to make a presentation to Congress like Ken Starr did in 1998. And we all saw what a spanking he got at that hearing when people actually READ the transcripts. Hur looked like a kid who plagiarized a term paper he hadn't bothered to read.

Most of these "investigations" are to create a public record that someone did something therefore backstopping any failure aspects, and also to send signals to others that there is always some shit that can be used if the game is not played correctly. The Church Committee hearings, Watergate hearings, most congressional "ethics" hearings, etc are to reinforce the stranglehold that the machine has on players. Congress and others are controlled through bribery and fear of exposure. Never enough to really do any corrective action, but enough to get someone back in line. In this case I think it is to put Biden's handlers on notice they are getting sloppy in their activities, don't call attention to ourselves.

Forum List

Back