Makeover coming for food nutrition labels - decreed by the Fed govt

Little-Acorn

Gold Member
Jun 20, 2006
I only quoted part of the article.

I apparently left out the part that details where the Federal government got the authority to do this.

But I'm sure the erstwhile readers of this forum will point it out, any time now.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Makeover coming for food nutrition labels

May 20, 2016

WASHINGTON (AP) — Nutrition facts labels on food packages are getting a long-awaited makeover, with calories listed in bigger, bolder type and a new line for added sugars.

And serving sizes will be updated to make them more realistic — so that a small bag of chips won't count as two or three servings, for example.

First lady Michelle Obama is expected to announce final rules for new labels in a speech Friday morning as part of her "Let's Move!" campaign to combat childhood obesity. The changes were proposed by the Food and Drug Administration two years ago and are the first major update of the labels since their creation in 1994. They are now found on more than 800,000 foods.

"This is going to make a real difference in providing families across the country the information they need to make healthy choices," the first lady said in a statement.

Good, I like info on the food I buy.. I want to know everything I can about what I use for fuel..

I apparently left out the part that details where the Federal government got the authority to do this.

But I'm sure the erstwhile readers of this forum will point it out, any time now.

May 20, 2016

WASHINGTON (AP) — Nutrition facts labels on food packages are getting a long-awaited makeover, with calories listed in bigger, bolder type and a new line for added sugars.

And serving sizes will be updated to make them more realistic — so that a small bag of chips won't count as two or three servings, for example.

First lady Michelle Obama is expected to announce final rules for new labels in a speech Friday morning as part of her "Let's Move!" campaign to combat childhood obesity. The changes were proposed by the Food and Drug Administration two years ago and are the first major update of the labels since their creation in 1994. They are now found on more than 800,000 foods.

"This is going to make a real difference in providing families across the country the information they need to make healthy choices," the first lady said in a statement.

One of my favorite labels is on motor oil:

"This is not a food product."

Kinda says it all....

May 20, 2016

One of my favorite labels is on motor oil:

"This is not a food product."

Kinda says it all....
They should label gasoline, "This is not an inhalant"...

Finally. I will now be able to eat smart, thank you mother government.
Oh wait, I've been doing it for 40 years, go fuck yourself Michelle.

May 20, 2016

Why would anyone have a problem with this?

May 20, 2016

Why would anyone have a problem with this?
Some people that are old and have lost out on life and know they will die without being able to read a nutrition label and understand what it states...

Honestly, I really don't have a problem with food labels. If only more people would read them.

How will fast food handle this, when it is obviously healthier to eat the food packaging than what is contained in it?

Strange.

The knowing customer is necessary for a free market to act ideally, yet there are capitalists that decry giving consumers knowledge about their product choices!

Strange indeed

Strange.

The knowing customer is necessary for a free market to act ideally, yet there are capitalists that decry giving consumers knowledge about their product choices!

Strange indeed
We have had that knowledge for a long time now, Einstein. The Moose is just trying to look important and libs can't understand the issue.

Forum List

Back