Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Many in Muslim world want sharia as law of land: survey

High_Gravity

Belligerent Drunk
Nov 19, 2010
Richmond VA

2013-04-30T181400Z_2_CBRE93T18WK00_RTROPTP_2_INDONESIA.JPG

(Reuters) - Large majorities in the Muslim world want the Islamic legal and moral code of sharia as the official law in their countries, but they disagree on what it includes and who should be subject to it, an extensive new survey says.

Suicide bombing was mostly rejected In the study by the Washington-based Pew Forum, but it won 40 percent support in the Palestinian territories, 39 percent in Afghanistan, 29 percent in Eygpt and 26 percent in Bangladesh.

Three-quarters of respondents said abortion is morally wrong and 80 percent or more rejected homosexuality and sex outside of marriage.

Over three-quarters of Muslims in the Middle East and North Africa, South Asia and Southeast Asia want sharia courts to decide family law issues such as divorce and property disputes, the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life said on Tuesday.

Views on punishments such as chopping off thieves' hands or decreeing death for apostates is more evenly divided in much of the Islamic world, although more than three-quarters of Muslims in South Asia say they are justified.

Those punishments have helped make sharia controversial in some non-Islamic countries, where some critics say radical Muslims want to impose it on Western societies, but the survey shows views in Muslim countries are far from monolithic.

"Muslims are not equally comfortable with all aspects of sharia," the study said. "Most do not believe it should be applied to non-Muslims."

"Most do not believe it should be applied to non-Muslims."

Wow, I hadn't realized they are actually more tolerant than Christians. Christians want to impose their morals on everyone.

Quick question.....................if Muslims wanted Sharia law implemented, then why did they emigrate to the U.S.?

Probably because we have things like free speech, free thought, the internet and all the ideas you could ever want to have.

Why did the Arab Spring happen? Simple.................people got cell phones and the internet and thought that freedom was a better deal than Sharia law.

Quick question.....................if Muslims wanted Sharia law implemented, then why did they emigrate to the U.S.?

Probably because we have things like free speech, free thought, the internet and all the ideas you could ever want to have.

Why did the Arab Spring happen? Simple.................people got cell phones and the internet and thought that freedom was a better deal than Sharia law.
The "Arab Spring" was not a movement against Sharia, in fact, its implementation has better chances since the removal of the former Egyptian, Libyan and Tunisian governments.

The "Arab Spring" was not a movement against Sharia, in fact, its implementation has better chances since the removal of the former Egyptian, Libyan and Tunisian governments.

Actually..................the Arab spring was launched because they saw the freedom that a lot of other countries had (via the 'net), and they wanted some for themselves.

Maybe it wasn't against Sharia per se, but it was against being dominated by others who wanted them to think only one way.

Want to know the biggest threat do dictatorships right now? The internet.

Actually..................the Arab spring was launched because they saw the freedom that a lot of other countries had (via the 'net), and they wanted some for themselves.

Maybe it wasn't against Sharia per se, but it was against being dominated by others who wanted them to think only one way.

I addressed what you wrote, not what you were thinking.

I addressed what you wrote, not what you were thinking.

I guess you missed the whole "freedom thing", didn't you?

Here are the most important points. Let's not over look them:

""Muslims are not equally comfortable with all aspects of sharia," the study said. "Most do not believe it should be applied to non-Muslims.""

Wow, I hadn't realized they are actually more tolerant than Christians. Christians want to impose their morals on everyone.

Every religion wants their laws to be the law of the land. Muslims are not unique.

It is compulsory for Muslims to spread Islam throughout the world under the jurisdiction of Sharia law, with all the conquered people subject to Sharia law. For radical Islam it is mandatory to comply with the law of Sharia.

Radical Islam is not a beautiful religion. :(

I have known Muslims over the years, think of Jehovah’s witnesses on steroids. They proselytize like hell and they don’t take "not interested" lightly. I don't think Muslims respect the First Amendment or hold to it other than as an excuse to gain a foothold in this country. Sharia Law is not acceptable. Because we separate religion from law. Period.

I have known Muslims over the years, think of Jehovah’s witnesses on steroids. They proselytize like hell and they don’t take "not interested" lightly. I don't think Muslims respect the First Amendment or hold to it other than as an excuse to gain a foothold in this country. Sharia Law is not acceptable. Because we separate religion from law. Period.

If we separate religion from law, then why are some places trying to make sure Sharia law is banished, yet Christian ideals are followed?

Some states want to make Christianity their chosen religion and want to also make it the law of the land.

Is Christianity better than Islam? If so...............how?

Does it generate more jobs, generate more money for the economy? How does being a "Christian" nation make it better for the nation?

I have lived among and worked with Muslims, in Muslim countries, including the ME, for 6 years of my life. I don't know where you get this 'Jehovah's witnesses on steroids' idea: that image is nothing like what I have experienced. They are just ordinary people living ordinary lives. Some are more religious than others. No one has ever proselytized to me, though I have spent much time in close contact with them, traveling with them, going to weddings, staying in their homes, etc. The only discussions I've ever had with them about religion were them explaining theirs to me and asking me about mine, in a reciprocally respectful way. And those discussions were limited, neither party being obsessed with or particularly interested in talking about religion at all.

Muslims are not the only people around the world who don't understand or live by our free speech ideals. The majority of Muslims, even those in the survey, do not want full Sharia Laws, and there are only 2 countries in the world today who have full Sharia Laws or even close to it. There are other countries in the world which are theocracies, not just Islamic countries. And BTW Turkey is a secular country, like the US. They have separation of religion and state, though 90% of the population self identifies as Muslim, the same way 90% of Americans self identify as Christian.

The bottom line is, though some Muslims may want Sharia laws in their own country, it is only in the matters of family court, and not to be imposed upon non-Muslims. I've lived in Muslim countries with stores that sell liquor and supermarkets that sell pork. In some countries, only non-Muslims are allowed to buy the liquor or pork. These countries also have churches, and Turkey has synogogues. The company I worked for in Turkey had, and still does, a Jewish vice president.

Ignorance is just that: ignorance.

Last edited:

2013-04-30T181400Z_2_CBRE93T18WK00_RTROPTP_2_INDONESIA.JPG

(Reuters) - Large majorities in the Muslim world want the Islamic legal and moral code of sharia as the official law in their countries, but they disagree on what it includes and who should be subject to it, an extensive new survey says.

Suicide bombing was mostly rejected In the study by the Washington-based Pew Forum, but it won 40 percent support in the Palestinian territories, 39 percent in Afghanistan, 29 percent in Eygpt and 26 percent in Bangladesh.

Three-quarters of respondents said abortion is morally wrong and 80 percent or more rejected homosexuality and sex outside of marriage.

Over three-quarters of Muslims in the Middle East and North Africa, South Asia and Southeast Asia want sharia courts to decide family law issues such as divorce and property disputes, the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life said on Tuesday.

Views on punishments such as chopping off thieves' hands or decreeing death for apostates is more evenly divided in much of the Islamic world, although more than three-quarters of Muslims in South Asia say they are justified.

Those punishments have helped make sharia controversial in some non-Islamic countries, where some critics say radical Muslims want to impose it on Western societies, but the survey shows views in Muslim countries are far from monolithic.

"Muslims are not equally comfortable with all aspects of sharia," the study said. "Most do not believe it should be applied to non-Muslims."

I believe the male Muslim world wants it but if you look at the eyes of these women the story is obvious. Life under under the burka is hell. They have my sympathy. - Jeri

Is Christianity better than Islam? If so...............how?

Does it generate more jobs, generate more money for the economy? How does being a "Christian" nation make it better for the nation?

Yes! - I was raised Christian & have read a third of the Koran. They just rewrote the Bible to frame the Jews as evil spoiled chosen children & Muslims as faithful servants. Hatred of & killing of Jews is woven into the Bible stories Mohamed turned into Koran stories. Christians did not tell me to kill Muslims for God.

Muslims are told to hate & kill the unfaithful. Christians are taught to convert people through kindness.

Every religion wants their laws to be the law of the land. Muslims are not unique.

Wrong. Christianity supports the separation of church and state. ALWAYS.

Judaism supports the separation of church and state. ALWAYS.

No other religion on earth does what Islam does and wants their doctrines to rule the land other than Communism. ( their god is satan also )

Christians do not kill those who have different types of religions.
Muslims kill Christians. The Koran tells them to kill Jews and Christians.
Every since the Muslim Brotherhood has taken over in Egypt, Christians are being killed and they are fleeing the country.
Under the old Regime of Mubarak they lived peacefully and Christians were not being killed.
Christians Being Killed By Islamists In Egypt And Nigeria

Forum List

Back