Margarine vs butter

Polishprince

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2016
When I was a young man, margarine was all the rave, and butter was more of a specialty or niche product.

But then, the big "transfat" scare came down, and a lot of people made the switch to butter.

A lot of people think margarine is bad for people. They still like stuff, but don't want to use it.

My idea is a new product, a product made with butter, but tasting just like Margarine for those hankering for the taste of the traditional product.

Do you think that a product called "I Can't Believe its Butter" could sell.

When I was a young man, margarine was all the rave, and butter was more of a specialty or niche product.

But then, the big "transfat" scare came down, and a lot of people made the switch to butter.

A lot of people think margarine is bad for people. They still like stuff, but don't want to use it.

My idea is a new product, a product made with butter, but tasting just like Margarine for those hankering for the taste of the traditional product.

Her being a natural-born cheesehead, my wife would smack me if I suggested using anything but real butter.

I'll stick to butter, thanks. Been eating it for many years and my serum cholesterol is perfectly fine.

While margarine is terrible for you, it's essential in crumb pie crusts...They crumble into nothing using butter.

I don't think I've every made one. What was really memorable was grandma's pie crusts made with lard. I don't even remember when crumb crusts became a thing.

Lard used to make the best pie crusts.

I miss lard.

I've found a couple of places in Iowa and Minnesota that raise incredible pork products, and I think I'm going to try to get some lard for canning.

I canned some beef tallow a few years ago and it has kept so well on my pantry shelves! I opened a jar whose seal I thought might have been iffy, and it's great! It has a wonderful smell that reminds me of my dad's donuts, when my folks had a diner in a tiny farming town, late in the 50's.

I don't think I've every made one. What was really memorable was grandma's pie crusts made with lard. I don't even remember when crumb crusts became a thing.

It's the hydrogenated fat in the margarine that makes the graham cracker and Oreo crumbs bind into a crust that won't fall apart...As I said, still not very good for you (moderation), but it's still an essential ingredient.

Polacks​

go figure

Margerine is still a lot cheaper than butter which is the only reason it is still on the market. A sophisticated palate can distinguish between butter and margarine. And even the best margarine can't produce that certain something that butter does when you cook with. it.

We are on a tight grocery budget with the high inflation created prices we're dealing with, but hubby and I buy only butter--no margarine unless I have a vegan dinner guest--and do without things like steak or fresh salmon and watermelon and avocados etc. that we used to enjoy. But we use the butter sparingly too because even though I believe it has health benefits that margerine cannot duplicate, it is 80% fat meaning too much of a good thing is bad for us.

Last edited:
Margerine is still a lot cheaper than butter which is the only reason it is still on the market. A sophisticated palate can distinguish between butter and margarine. And even the best margarine can't produce that certain something that butter does when you cook with. it.

We are on a tight grocery budget with the high inflation created prices we're dealing with, but hubby and I buy only butter and do without things like steak or fresh salmon and watermelon and avocados etc. that we used to enjoy. But we use the butter sparingly too because even though I believe it has health benefits that margerine cannot duplicate, it is 80% fat meaning too much of a good thing is bad for us.
Knowing when the meat is marked down is huge...When I lived in Steamboat, and while doing Instacart a few years ago, I'd monitor the expiration dates and hit the marked down pile early on the following day.

Stocked up big time on tenderloins for freezing and summer grilling....Always paid at least 1/2 price.

I always heard Margarine tastes “Just like butter”
It doesn’t

I haven’t had Margarine in 40years
Parkay!

What poor white trash dream about.

parkay butter.jpg

Knowing when the meat is marked down is huge...When I lived in Steamboat, and while doing Instacart a few years ago, I'd monitor the expiration dates and hit the marked down pile early on the following day.

Stocked up big time on tenderloins for freezing and summer grilling....Always paid at least 1/2 price.
Yes I've bought some great cuts in Albertson's bargain bin on the same day as their sell by date. But you have to be lucky enough to get there ahead of the crowd because these days they really go fast.

Yes I've bought some great cuts in Albertson's bargain bin on the same day as their sell by date. But you have to be lucky enough to get there ahead of the crowd because these days they really go fast.
No luck involved...You learn when the expiration dates are and show up the next morning, when the stockers mark them down.....Big stores like Albertsons and Kroger are very predictable.

Though it does take a little time and effort to know when those dates and times are, I can safely say that I've cumulatively saved thousands on meat purchases over the years.

No luck involved...You learn when the expiration dates are and show up the next morning, when the stockers mark them down.....Big stores like Albertsons and Kroger are very predictable.

Though it does take a little time and effort to know when those dates and times are, I can safely say that I've cumulatively saved thousands on meat purchases over the years.
I probably have too, but I'm not going to muscle my way to get in front of the little old lady or the mother with little kids who probably has less expendable income than I do. :) Albertsons is putting stuff out all day long though so I often luck out.

Forum List

Back