Maverick Top Gun

Not sure which reviews you're talking about but most critics I have read have neither given Top Gun (1986), an excellent or very poor review. As I remember the movie, it seemed a bit tiresome to watch and rather bland and corny. I give it 3 stars.

With exception of political extremists on the left and right people tend to hang up their politics at door when it comes to entertaining movies. Hollywood is actually not that liberal if you include all the movie industry. It simply provides movies that people are willing pay for
I found it to be enjoyable; it delivered that much where as the Matrix sequel didn't that also came out earlier this year.

What really got me about the entire movie was that nobody was telling the top brass about bunker-buster bombs that are designed to do the exact thing they were doing in this movie without the risk to pilots or crews. I mean, 9 year olds in the audience could have told the top brass that they didn't have to risk our best pilots.

It reminded me of the line Seinfeld had once (I think it was him). He talked about it being 2008 and no matter what the job is; there is a guy who does it. Need a crime scene cleaned up? We got guys that do that. Need a boil on your butt lanced? We got guys that do that. Need a dead animal removed from the road? We got guys who do that.... No matter what there is...there is a guy for it. But somehow in the 25th century to get a soil sample from some distant planet, the USS Enterprise has to beam down the captain, first officer, chief engineer, the ship's doctor, the security chief, and the helmsman. What happened to the guys? Maverick made as much sense as those plots. I enjoyed the movie though....that should count for something.

Forum List

Back