Meet the man who walks Bo:aka the First Dog's dog walker

tinydancer

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2010
Piney
Disclaimer: I have stated repeatedly and I will again that I have no problem with the WH dog walker. I don't consider this to be a perk.

I don't expect the First Family with all their engagements (and of course the young ladies at school) to be at Bo's beck and call 24/7. And I don't care what the salary might be.

I don't expect the President to say to Prime Minister Harper during a State visit "hold on Stephen, I have to run the dog". (although Harper would probably love to run him too :))

I think Bachmann was way out of line; stupid and petty and highly uninformed about the inner workings of the White House.

Now that being said.

Meet Bo's dog walker. :eusa_angel:

NYTimes first source.

April 28, 2009, 4:38 pm
Who’s Minding Bo?
By RACHEL L. SWARNS

The big question percolating in Washington circles — or at least among careful observers of canine life at the White House – is this: Who’s walking Bo?

The presidential pooch has been observed strolling the White House grounds twice now – once yesterday and once today – with a man who is not his owner. The mystery dog-walker? None other than Dale Haney, the White House horticulturist who has tended to every presidential dog since King Timahoe, Richard M. Nixon’s Irish setter.

28caucus.dog.jpg

Who's Minding Bo? - NYTimes.com

There are a number of websites that you can find out there who confirm the story in the NYT.

Here's another:

Obamas’ Presidential Dog Walker
By Move One
January 18, 2010

Bo Obama is one lucky dog; not only does he get to spend ‘quality time’ with one of the most powerful men on the planet and live in the White House, but Bo also seems to be very popular as well, with many people interested in what the life of a presidential dog might be.

Of course the first dog enjoys first class treatment, but when it comes to the bear necessities of a dog’s life (such as the need for a walk), the Obamas might be too busy to cater to Bo’s every need.

More from the article:

So, Darlene Superville explains in a charming Associated Press story tonight, the walking job falls to a little-known, 57-year-old man named Dale Haney.

He’s walked presidential dogs for decades now all the way back to 1972, which was, wow, in the last century back when Joe Biden first entered the Senate and Obama was barely in the sixth grade.

You think you’ve got a lot of leaves to pick up, besides whatever your dog deposits during his walks. As the White House’s chief groundskeeper, Haney’s got 18.5 acres to take care of.

He’s been amazed over the years about how interested the public is in presidential pets, often showing more interest in them than the officeholder.

Haney likes Bo just fine. But he still carries a soft spot in his heart for George and Laura Bush’s dog Spot. Spot was actually born to the White House, way back in 1989 as the daughter of Millie of the first President Bush.

Spottie, as George W.’s family called her, had a distinctive self-assurance that charmed many over the years including Haney. Before her reelection to the White House in 2000, Spot lived in Texas and when the future president became governor, Spot took over the governor’s mansion in downtown Austin, going pretty much wherever she pleased whenever she pleased.

But Spot quickly learned that tirelessly patrolling the block-square grounds was unnecessary if she just curled up in the security room. When the buzzer went off, Spot would explode from the room barking ferociously in search of the security breach. Spot left this earth in 2004 after several strokes.

Bo with Dale

bo-obama-150x150.jpg

And this picture will melt your heart:

george-w-bush-and-dog-spottie-450x293.jpg

Obamas' Presidential Dog Walker | Pet Transportation, Pet Relocation, Moving With Pets | Move One InMotion

So he's the head grounds keeper and dog walker, I wonder who else has dog walking duties when this guy has days off or at night when he's not on duty? Will America ever know, the rest of the story?

Shit. Thought Bo was for the girls.

Wonder if they even know he's in the WH??

So he's the head grounds keeper and dog walker, I wonder who else has dog walking duties when this guy has days off or at night when he's not on duty? Will America ever know, the rest of the story?

Don't worry. Michelle Bachmann is on the case. :lol:

Are you pulling a Paul Harvey?:lol:

I would assume one of his assistants. And I don't have a problem with this whatsoever.

I like First Dogs. Maybe not their Masters :eusa_angel: And I loved Socks to death. (for those that might be too young to remember Socks was Clinton's most cool cat)

Last edited:
What's the point of this thread? So somebody walks the dog? So what?

Just to point out that although Michelle may be petty and stupid in her criticisms she wasn't lying about there being people who walk the President's dog Bo.

But the bloody fool obviously didn't realize that this has been going on since Nixon. Bachmann was also an freaking moron for criticizing President Obama for having 5 chefs.

I've tackled that in other threads. The WH has to have these Chefs. There are actually 6 that I know of.

But these aren't perks. And she's crazy for not understanding that. But she's not a liar.

I would assume one of his assistants. And I don't have a problem with this whatsoever.

I like First Dogs. Maybe not their Masters :eusa_angel: And I loved Socks to death. (for those that might be too young to remember Socks was Clinton's most cool cat)

Damn, go easy there, it was tongue in cheek already.

And you were complaining about the WH folks who took care of the Bush pets, hmmm?

Just to point out that although Michelle may be petty and stupid in her criticisms she wasn't lying about there being people who walk the President's dog Bo.

But the bloody fool obviously didn't realize that this has been going on since Nixon. Bachmann was also an freaking moron for criticizing President Obama for having 5 chefs.

I've tackled that in other threads. The WH has to have these Chefs. There are actually 6 that I know of.

But these aren't perks. And she's crazy for not understanding that. But she's not a liar.

Actually she said 5 chefs on AF 1, I didn't know the kitchen on the plane was large enough to accommodate 5 chefs.

Don't you know by now that liberals have no sense of humor? :eusa_angel:

Actually she said 5 chefs on AF 1, I didn't know the kitchen on the plane was large enough to accommodate 5 chefs.

If he's going on vacation I'm sure he's taking along some of the WH kitchen staff. Makes sense.

The President also entertains on vacation and I just can't picture him flipping a burger after 18 holes.

:)

And that doesn't bother me in the least.

Don't you know by now that liberals have no sense of humor? :eusa_angel:

OMG I'm not a liberal.

:lol:

Don't make me stroke out!

And you were complaining about the WH folks who took care of the Bush pets, hmmm?

Not me.

And if my Guidance Counselor had told me one day I could the First Dog Walker, I'd be in like Flint.

That would be one heck of a cool job. Room and board would be AOK.

If you actually read the OP you would have seen that I pointed out that this WH Horticulturist has had this fun "extra bonus" job going all the way back to Nixon's dog.

:eusa_angel:

If he's going on vacation I'm sure he's taking along some of the WH kitchen staff. Makes sense.

The President also entertains on vacation and I just can't picture him flipping a burger after 18 holes.

I can't picture him ever flipping a burger, well except maybe for a photo op. Also I have no problem with staff chefs, when it comes to flying in celebrity chefs, that I do have a problem with. It boils down to endorsing government excess or not, regardless of party.

I can't picture him ever flipping a burger, well except maybe for a photo op. Also I have no problem with staff chefs, when it comes to flying in celebrity chefs, that I do have a problem with. It boils down to endorsing government excess or not, regardless of party.

What is excess? And compared to what?

Forum List

Back