Zone1 Might Makes Right

buttercup

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2010
Someone’s comment on a thread earlier brought to mind the idea of “might makes right.”

Here’s a definition, for anyone who isn’t sure what it means. According to Oxford English Dictionary...

might is right (also might makes right and variants) : the possession of power, rather than any moral consideration, determines the legitimacy of an action, policy, etc.​

Obviously we see “might makes right” played out all the time in this world.

But is there anyone here who actually believes that might makes right? In other words, is there anyone here who actually believes that mere physical strength and possession of power morally justifies anything that person with power does with it?

Before I say anything more, I want to hear your thoughts on it.

I’m especially curious to hear what the atheists have to say about this.

It doesn't matter if people believe in "might makes right." It's true whether or not people want it to be true.

It doesn't matter if people believe in "might makes right." It's true whether or not people want it to be true.

It looks like you didn't read the definition. Please go back and read it.

If you actually DO believe that might makes right, I'll give you an example of what you believe: someone can punch a baby in the face for no reason, and it would morally OK, simply because the adult has the strength and power to do so. That's "might makes right."

Might makes right means we get to keep the land we took from the Indians.

You're ignoring the definition.

You're giving a very narrow example, but since you brought it up, let me ask you this.... If the US was invaded and conquered by a foreign nation, and jackbooted thugs with machine guns stormed into your house and started killing anyone in sight, in order to take possession of your house..... would their actions be good and morally justifiable in your view? Yes or no?

You're ignoring the definition.

You're giving a very narrow example, but since you brought it up, let me ask you this.... If the US was invaded and conquered by a foreign nation, and jackbooted thugs with machine guns stormed into your house and started killing anyone in sight, in order to take possession of your house..... would their actions be good and morally justifiable in your view? Yes or no?
You're not understanding what I said.

It doesn't matter how bad someone is, if he wins he writes the history books.

You're not understanding what I said.

It doesn't matter how bad someone is, if he wins he writes the history books.

No one is denying that. I sure didn't, in fact I said: "Obviously we see “might makes right” played out all the time in this world."

The question was not "does might make right exist?" (of course it does)... the question was, is there anyone who actually believes that might (truly) makes right?

No one is denying that. I sure didn't, in fact I said: "Obviously we see “might makes right” played out all the time in this world."

The question was not "does might make right exist?" (of course it does)... the question was, is there anyone who actually believes that might (truly) makes right?
My point is, it doesn't matter what people think.

Forum List

Back