Zone1 Might Makes Right

Might makes right" or "Might is right" is an aphorism on the origin of morality, with both descriptive and prescriptive senses. Descriptively, it asserts that a society's view of right and wrong is determined by those in power, with a meaning similar to "History is written by the victors".

You didn't cite a source, but anyway, that's similar to the definition I posted earlier, from Oxford dictionary.

Again, the question is, do you actually agree with that idea?

By that logic, anyone can trample all over anyone else, and as long as they get away with it, what they did was morally right.

You didn't cite a source, but anyway, that's similar to the definition I posted earlier, from Oxford dictionary.

Again, the question is, do you actually agree with that idea?

By that logic, anyone can trample all over anyone else, and as long as they get away with it, what they did was morally right.
The definition of might makes right doesnt care about morality of the winner.

To a Nazi Hitler was a Hero. Was he?

The definition of might makes right doesnt care about morality of the winner.

To a Nazi Hitler was a Hero. Was he?

It appears that you and I are in agreement, but for some strange reason you guys seem to be missing the actual point.

I don't want to keep repeating myself, but I was just curious to know if anyone actually believes in that philosophy.

I could bring up a very common example, but if I do it would take the thread in a different direction and it would be very controversial.

It appears that you and I are in agreement, but for some strange reason you guys seem to be missing the actual point.

I don't want to keep repeating myself, but I was just curious to know if anyone actually believes in that philosophy.

I could bring up a very common example, but if I do it would take the thread in a different direction and it would be very controversial.
The whole point of "might makes right" is saying it doesn't matter what's right or wrong, the winner decides who's right and it's always them.

The whole point of "might makes right" is saying it doesn't matter what's right or wrong, the winner decides who's right and it's always them.

Sigh. OBVIOUSLY!

Ok, so the question you still haven't answered is: Do you think it's true that it doesn't matter? Do you agree that what the winner decides is "right" is always truly right?

Because by that logic, our own government can destroy the constitution and turn this country into a jackbooted thug Police State, and that would be OK because "the winner" decided it was OK.

Sigh. OBVIOUSLY!

Ok, so the question you still haven't answered is: Do you think it's true that it doesn't matter? Do you agree that what the winner decides is "right" is always truly right?

Because by that logic, our own government can destroy the constitution and turn this country into a jackbooted thug Police State, and that would be OK because "the winner" decided it was OK.
Nobody thinks that if the other "team" is in power.

That's why so many leftist posters here are fine with the assassination attempt on Trump. They can't let him win. If there's a chance he can win, they are fine with murder

Sigh. OBVIOUSLY!

Might means right never applies to hypothetical situations as you've described, it only applies to things that have already happened.

Might means right never applies to hypothetical situations as you've described, it only applies to things that have already happened.

:bang3:

I'm sorry, but you are impossible to have a conversation with. I feel like I'm talking to someone from another planet.

Nobody thinks that if the other "team" is in power.

That's why so many leftist posters here are fine with the assassination attempt on Trump. They can't let him win. If there's a chance he can win, they are fine with murder

First of all, why would you thumb down my post #26... unless you agree with might makes right? And I KNOW as a vegan you don't!

Secondly, what are you even talking about? Your post doesn't make sense to me, and it has nothing to do with what I've been talking about.

:bang3:

I'm sorry, but you are impossible to have a conversation with. I feel like I'm talking to someone from another planet.
You don't understand what might means right means, and I'm trying to explain it to you. It's not my fault you refuse to listen.

You don't understand what might means right means, and I'm trying to explain it to you. It's not my fault you refuse to listen.

Not true, in fact I agreed with the definition that the other guy posted, which was similar to the Oxford definition. You haven't explained anything, you've just been dodging the question even though I've asked it over and over in all sorts of different ways.

But that's false. There are established standards of right and wrong, and might is not right if it goes against them.

THANK YOU!

Sheesh, lol. I never thought this topic would be so difficult for some.

But that's false. There are established standards of right and wrong, and might is not right if it goes against them.
The left doesn't agree with your "established standards". They're as convinced of theirs every but as much as you're convinced of yours.

This is why God always condemned Israel saying "every man did what seemed right in his own eyes"

They made themselves the standard, not the Word of God

Simple. I DISAGREE with the statement you're harping on. "Might make right."

Second. As I pointed out, nobody really does.

Well if you disagree with might makes right, then you and I are in agreement.

As for nobody agreeing with it? Well....I don't know about that.

Like I mentioned to someone else, I probably shouldn't even bring up an example I have in mind, because it would take this thread in a very different direction.... but one example of 'might makes right' is what humans do to animals everyday.... simply because we can. We have power over them.

(But I think that's all I'm going to say about that, because we've had that debate so many times here, and at the moment I don't have time to get into that. I was about to sign off here soon.)

But is there anyone here who actually believes that might makes right? In other words, is there anyone here who actually believes that mere physical strength and possession of power morally justifies anything that person with power does with it?

I think there are some people who have convinced themselves that whatever is best for them is also best for the country, and that whatever they have to do to get or keep power is morally justified. The ends justify the means as it were.

Well if you disagree with might makes right, then you and I are in agreement
Why would you assume anything else. But, like I said, nobody really does. EVERYBODY thinks they're doing the right thing -- including the Patsy who took a few shots at the president, including the animals who raided Israeli villages October 7th, and including the anti-Trump zealots who could hardly contain their approval of Trump's attempted assassination.

No one says, "I'm EVIL, and if I only gain enough power, I'm 'right'"

Here’s a definition, for anyone who isn’t sure what it means. According to Oxford English Dictionary...

might is right (also might makes right and variants) : the possession of power, rather than any moral consideration, determines the legitimacy of an action, policy, etc.​

The Oxford English Dictionary makes here a mistake. Might and power are totally different things. For to be mighty someone has to know a lot. Concrete: It's not easy to send Hayabusa 2 to Ryugu and to get some soil samples and to bring this material back to earth. Only a mighty nation like Japan is able to do so.
To use "power" is much more easy. German proverb: "If nothing else helps, simply use a larger hammer."

So "might is right" , "might makes right" not means blind power is right. It means in the substance that right without might is helpless = without might no right.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back