🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Millions of children on Medicaid missing their free checkups, watchdog says

CherryPanda

Aug 12, 2014
Millions of low-income children are missing the free preventive exams and screenings guaranteed by Medicaid, and the Obama administration isn’t doing enough to fix the problem, according to a federal watchdog report.

The report, released Thursday by the Department of Health and Human Services’ Office of Inspector General (OIG), says the administration has boosted rates of participation but must do more to ensure that children get the regular wellness exams, dental checkups, and vision and hearing tests. The report notes that 63 percent of children on Medicaid received at least one medical screening in 2013, up from 56 percent in 2006, but still far below the department’s 80 percent goal.

Only Iowa and California exceeded that standard last year, with 81 percent and 99.7 percent, respectively. Alaska and Ohio were below 40 percent. Five more states — Mississippi, Montana, North Dakota, Oregon and Wyoming — were between 40 and 45 percent.

Child health advocates cite several factors for the low rates, including a shortage of doctors treating Medicaid patients, states’ low pay for providers and parents’ lack of awareness about the importance of the visits.

Children and taxpayers pay a steep price when children’s health problems are not caught early.

Millions of children on Medicaid missing their free checkups watchdog says - The Washington Post

Another news telling that our health care system does not work as it is supposed to. The program that goes back to the 60s and takes care of our children’s health shows not that good results.

The article does not give any reasonable explanation, only guesses. So, do you think it’s because of Obamacare malfunction that the system is being destroyed? Or is it the states being resistant to the orders from the federal government spoil everything? Or is just the fact that parent are too irresponsible? Maybe, some other reason?

You can't force people to take their kids to the doctor.

But I'm sure you want to try

ok, so what do you suggest they do about it?

some "watchdog" says from the Government propaganda rag, the Washingtoncompost...

send out the men in their brown shirts and Jackboots to go FORCE THEM to go do it?

so much for freedom of choice. or I forget that only comes with Abortions

You can't force people to take their kids to the doctor.

But I'm sure you want to try

Why are you making conclusions about me without even getting to know me? And, btw, in case you haven't noticed, I'm not offering to force anyone, I just want to discuss the issue.

Just think what they are not spending...

From my point of view, the problem is exactly in the fact that the money is being spent. I mean, there's a program, there is money and budget for it. But is doesn't work as it's supposed - children don't get health care. Where does the money go? Not sure that back to the budget.

ok, so what do you suggest they do about it?

some "watchdog" says from the Government propaganda rag, the Washingtoncompost...

send out the men in their brown shirts and Jackboots to go FORCE THEM to go do it?

so much for freedom of choice. or I forget that only comes with Abortions

I wonder how you managed to read THIS in my post... Do you have some super power reading abilities to understand that an author intended to write but didn't? :p
I don't suggest anything, I just start a discussion and want to hear opinions.

Millions of low-income children are missing the free preventive exams and screenings guaranteed by Medicaid, and the Obama administration isn’t doing enough to fix the problem, according to a federal watchdog report.

The report, released Thursday by the Department of Health and Human Services’ Office of Inspector General (OIG), says the administration has boosted rates of participation but must do more to ensure that children get the regular wellness exams, dental checkups, and vision and hearing tests. The report notes that 63 percent of children on Medicaid received at least one medical screening in 2013, up from 56 percent in 2006, but still far below the department’s 80 percent goal.

Only Iowa and California exceeded that standard last year, with 81 percent and 99.7 percent, respectively. Alaska and Ohio were below 40 percent. Five more states — Mississippi, Montana, North Dakota, Oregon and Wyoming — were between 40 and 45 percent.

Child health advocates cite several factors for the low rates, including a shortage of doctors treating Medicaid patients, states’ low pay for providers and parents’ lack of awareness about the importance of the visits.

Children and taxpayers pay a steep price when children’s health problems are not caught early.

Millions of children on Medicaid missing their free checkups watchdog says - The Washington Post

Another news telling that our health care system does not work as it is supposed to. The program that goes back to the 60s and takes care of our children’s health shows not that good results.

The article does not give any reasonable explanation, only guesses. So, do you think it’s because of Obamacare malfunction that the system is being destroyed? Or is it the states being resistant to the orders from the federal government spoil everything? Or is just the fact that parent are too irresponsible? Maybe, some other reason?

It depends on the area in question. The Health Department in one county had an office in three of the cites that served the lower income population. They shut those down and maintained one central location. Republican consolidation. The problem is that there is poor transportation or none available to get to the main central location. The doctors that seem to be available may be overbooked and not accepting patients at this time.

Nothing is free.

If those welfare moms don't want to take their kids in for those "free" exams then good.

Save us taxpayers a few bucks.

Forum List

Back