Missouri restaurant divides customers with extreme age restrictions

Lord-Humungus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2023

A restaurant in Missouri has taken exclusivity to new levels by imposing age restrictions on customers to prevent 'drama' and allow 'older folks' to enjoy happy hour in peace.
Men must be at least 35 to dine at Bliss in St Louis whereas women are allowed in from the age of 30.

This establishment has set an age restriction and it apparently is raising some eyebrows. I don’t see an issue with having an age restriction, many places limit patron to adults only and living complexes have that restriction upon age to live in them. So I think there is plenty of legal precedent to allow for age restrictions on entry. I can see some issues with the men one age and women the other and the owner should look into one set age would be my on suggestion.

I have never been to a restaurant where little kids caused me any grief. Parents usually take care of it. I wonder how many parents actually take their kids to this West African Caribbean food place anyway?

The food can be really good. I just could not dine comfortably, in that room with the neon pink sign that covers the wall.
I suspect you would.....There's dancing.

23b5090a37779506eee1638a7c497863.jpg

I'm curious if the government will let this stand. Missouri is a red state, but I think the restaurant is in a blue metro area.

This establishment has set an age restriction and it apparently is raising some eyebrows. I don’t see an issue with having an age restriction, many places limit patron to adults only and living complexes have that restriction upon age to live in them. So I think there is plenty of legal precedent to allow for age restrictions on entry. I can see some issues with the men one age and women the other and the owner should look into one set age would be my on suggestion.
I have an ad blocker, and yet that link had the most fricking pop-ups I have ever seen!

Anyway.

Age restrictions are a violation of public accommodation laws.

His rules won't hold up.

Well, I stand corrected. Here are the Missouri public accommodation laws:

The Missouri Human Rights Act prohibits discrimination in housing, employment, and places of public accommodations based on race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, disability, age (in employment only), and familial status (in housing only).

Age restrictions are a violation of public accommodation laws.

His rules won't hold up.
I hope that you are right about that. Just over a month ago, I read about a little girl who was not able to see her favorite singer in concert because she was considered too young for the place that the singer's show was in.

God bless you and the girl and her favorite singer always!!!

Holly (a girl who loves the girl's favorite too)

P.S. Go here if you want to read about the girl's unforgettable experience.

I hope that you are right about that. Just over a month ago, I read about a little girl who was not able to see her favorite singer in concert because she was considered too young for the place that the singer's show was in.

God bless you and the girl and her favorite singer always!!!

Holly (a girl who loves the girl's favorite too)

P.S. Go here if you want to read about the girl's unforgettable experience.
I looked up Missouri's public accommodation laws. It looks like the guy's age rule will hold up, after all.

See post 12.

I guess it makes sense the guy's rule is legal.

After all, there are retirement communities where you have to be 55 or older to buy a home there.

The public will decide the fate of his business.

If you have ever been in a McDonalds near a Highschool when classes let out for the day, the the loud rowdy thieving thugs jumping destroying & hollering cause the cashiers to call 911 & diners to flee. They average 5 police calls every day.

I don't mind the age ban, but I won't eat their curry adulterated African food.

Forum List

Back