More Pandering - Harris Wants To Forgive Medical Debt

I would actually be in favor of hospitals forgiving excess amounts IF the patient had good health insurance without a break for their entire adult lives. The pricing is really ridiculous - I was in the ER and asked for a blanket because it was cold in there, and the bill charged $25 for a “blanket rental” fee. And all told, the bill came to $16,000 - and I didn’t even stay overnight or have a procedure!

So this is where the peoblem lies. But to expect taxpayers to pick up the bill when a hospital overcharged a patient who never bothered to get health insurance, sorry.

If someone’s house burned down, and he never bought house insurance, would taxpayers be asked to cover the cost?

Vice President Kamala Harris wants to forgive medical debt for millions of Americans.

The economic plan Harris rolled out last week notes that the Democratic presidential nominee and her running mate, Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, would work with states to relieve people of their medical debt and “to help them avoid accumulating such debt in the future, because no one should go bankrupt just because they had the misfortune of becoming sick or hurt.”

Some 15 million Americans have medical bills on their credit reports, according to Consumer Financial Protection Bureau research published in April. People in the U.S. owe at least $220 billion in medical debt, a February KFF analysis found.

Yes sireeee.

I will going to the doctor and running up all kinds of bills in anticipation of Hindenburg Harris paying them off.

They are not even trying to hide the pandering.

Not to mention government picking winners and losers.

You know, the person who honors their debts vs those who think the world owes them something.

And all that.

And, of course, how will she do it ? Is she going to tell the medical industry......tough shit or is she going to pay them off with your money and thus increase our debt ?
Oh yeah, it costs $400 for an x-ray, let's be punished for that on our credit report?

Oh yeah, it costs $400 for an x-ray, let's be punished for that on our credit report?
So the clinic needs to lower their price. Why should they get to rip people off, and then have taxpayers cover the cost?

In my example above, at the ER, the ER doctor came in to get my symptoms - took a total of five minutes, tops. Then an hour later, he came in to tell me the results of the CAT scan - maybe three minutes.

The bill for 8 minutes of the doctor’s time? $1600.

So the clinic needs to lower their price. Why should they get to rip people off, and then have taxpayers cover the cost?

In my example above, at the ER, the ER doctor came in to get my symptoms - took a total of five minutes, tops. Then an hour later, he came in to tell me the results of the CAT scan - maybe three minutes.

Got something in my eye. I was concerned as it was not getting out.

Went to the hospital...they made me check in at the ER.

Bill to my insurance for two hours and some eye drops.....8,000.

Got something in my eye. I was concerned as it was not getting out.

Went to the hospital...they made me check in at the ER.

Bill to my insurance for two hours and some eye drops.....8,000.
Obama’s insurance scheme did nothing to lower the actual, ridiculously inflated cost of medical care. All it did was shift the burden around - largely onto the moderate earners.

Folks this thread is more about Harris' stupid idea from the standpoint of equality.

Why should some have their bills forgiven and others not ?

I want my bills forgiven that i struggled to pay 15 years ago. Why should people today get something I didn't.

Don't like Bankruptcy....figure something else out.

I had a friend. No insurance. Had to make an E.R. visit.

Got a bill for 14,000. No way she would ever pay that off.

She negotiated it down to 4,000. She took a second job and paid it off.

Very honorable.

Why do you think you are entitled to have the government force people to pay your medical bills?
1. First World country not third world country
2. We live in society.
3. Enlightened self interest. Countries with extreme disparities of wealth are countries where social unrest and revolutions are common.

I spent one night in UCI hospital and it cost $29,000!

That is fucking obscene!

The point of this thread was not about the medical stuff as much as it is that she is pandering.

She was "a key player in Biden's policy" (someone had to be, the wilted Celery Stalk certainly wasn't).

And now she has this idea ?

She is throwing this shit at us just before the election so people can't notice the smell before they vote.

It's pandering pure pandering.

Fuck her for doing it.

I have problems with our current system.

But she is using people's distress to buy votes.
More cash for votes
That’s all it is

Forum List

Back