My connection is very insecure

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
So I finally - FINALLY accessed the router, set-up some ports, a password, etc. However, the connection itself remains unsecured. How do I protect us? Apparently setting a password is not enough.

Any ideas?

So I finally - FINALLY accessed the router, set-up some ports, a password, etc. However, the connection itself remains unsecured. How do I protect us? Apparently setting a password is not enough.

Any ideas?

Set it for WPA-2

Any ideas?

Lots of them. The simplest is for you to tell me which connection is unsecure? Is it a message in Windows, or a browser?

• Banned
Thank you both for stepping up. A techie friend on FB talked me through it, and I have it said on just WPA - [MENTION=20342]Ringel05[/MENTION], why do you recommend -2?

Thank you both for stepping up. A techie friend on FB talked me through it, and I have it said on just WPA - [MENTION=20342]Ringel05[/MENTION], why do you recommend -2?

WPA-2 is the next generation beyond WPA and has the mandatory use of AES algorithms and the introduction of CCMP (Counter Cipher Mode with Block Chaining Message Authentication Code Protocol) as a replacement for TKIP. WPA doesn't use this and is more vulnerable to hacking attacks.
Also when you setup your network key use a mix of random numbers and letters (upper and lower case), it's harder to break.

Forum List

Back