My kids and grandkids hate them

18F1912D-75A4-4E49-A4D8-AFA02D612968.jpeg

My mom. But as she got older she stopped due to the stomach problems. They were tasty the way mom cooked them but at some time in the night I wake up and start looking for Alka Seltzer
They are tiny cabbages.

It all depends on how you cook them. Slow roast them in some salt, olive oil and bacon grease and it takes all that yucky taste away. Of course, if you slow roast a brick in bacon grease, it probably tastes yummy too.

I like them steamed, but now that you mention it, I bet wrapped in bacon and deep fried would be pretty good too.

I just pop them in the microwave. Add some grated cheese and bacon bits and we’re ready to go.

View attachment 484133

Screenshot_2021-04-26-10-27-43(1).png

...differing philosophies... :D

I once bribed my 9 year old grandson with a couple of dollars to eat just one brussel sprout. He put it his mouth and then started gagging and spit it out on his plate. Said it tasted nasty. I felt soo bad for him, that I still gave him the money. ... :cool:

yeah, I think I used a chicken bouillon cube, not chicken stock, mashed w potato masher, and might have used an egg to keep them from falling apart, though I don't think so. Anyway, I know they went over well in this part of Missouri

I once bribed my 9 year old grandson with a couple of dollars to eat just one brussel sprout. He put it his mouth and then started gagging and spit it out on his plate. Said it tasted nasty. I felt soo bad for him, that I still gave him the money. ... :cool:
He doesn't know brussel sprouts are anti-carcinogists and what they and other cruciferous vegetable anti-carcinogens attack could save their lives some future date. They're better if cooked in plenty of water with Himalayan salt until soft. The undercooked ones have a harsh flavor that disappears when cooked well.

He doesn't know brussel sprouts are anti-carcinogists and what they and other cruciferous vegetable anti-carcinogens attack could save their lives some future date. They're better if cooked in plenty of water with Himalayan salt until soft. The undercooked ones have a harsh flavor that disappears when cooked well.
Kaempferol is the antioxidant in Brussels sprouts that fights cancer cell growth tooth and nail. Healthline.com explains it better than I can. healthline.com

We had them once a week when I was growing up and I did not like them one bit. Now, like most things that I didn't like as I child, I think they're great cooked any which way.

Some years ago I attended a series of Christmas events in North Yorkshire. Each evening (one night per week for three weeks pre-Christmas) there was a dinner followed by a pantomime.

The first dinner featured venison, each portion with a single maraschino cherry placed on it. Served with small beets and Brussels sprouts. I wouldn't touch the brussels sprouts - left them on the plate. Nice little cups of custard as dessert. The pantomime was a very serious version of Dicken's "A Christmas Carol" with Tiny Tim scampering about on a crutch

The second had really good roast beef with small roast onions (dyed red) and Brussels sprouts. The sprouts looked familiar so I carved my initials in two of them and left them on the plate. Dessert was a dish with three ice cream balls each of different color drizzled with a sauce that might have been raspberry but the alcohol content made that uncertain.

The pantomime was a version of "A Christmas Carol" rewritten with the plight of a working person in the mid 20th Century with people in the countinghouse constantly diving under desks as the air-raid sirens erupted. In the "hero's" home Tiny Tim was at table in an iron lung.

The final dinner had a medium size roasted pig (head on, bright red apple in mouth) as each table's centerpiece. There was one table where a large roasted turkey was substituted - with an apple impaled on its beak (yes, neck and head still attached though bereft of feathers) for the few Jews and Muslims who were there just for laughs. The pantomime was a 21st century "A Christmas Carol" where the countinghouse workers were Socliast Slackers scheming to roast Scrooge. Whilst at home Tiny Tim was in a plastic bubble. Typical Brit family of the day.

Oh...the Brussels sprouts? Yes, they were back. Along with tiny potatoes dyed red (did you catch on that all the veggies were Christmas balls of one sort or another). The sprouts? Yes, one of them had my initials on it. The waiter (the same all three nights) insisted he had NOT saved mine from the second night; that he had forged my initials on one just for grins.

Likely story.

I've never seen a Monty Python Christmas show but maybe it would be nice though it would be a bitch to try to top........

Forum List

Back