My welds are atrocious...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
Sure, it's joined together...but man...I just cannot get the hang of this wire feed welder...

20201117_160001.jpg20201117_160009.jpg20201117_160342.jpg

Any advice is appreciated. I don't do a lot of welding...but this is just terrible.

it does help to clean or grind before you weld, more so if youre a beginner
One thing it looks like you didn't do is clean the surfaces to be welded

Thanks for the replies.

That's probably it...I hit the surfaces I was joining with a wire brush...but that might not have been enough.

Next time I'll hit it with the grinder.

it does help to clean or grind before you weld, more so if youre a beginner
One thing it looks like you didn't do is clean the surfaces to be welded

Thanks for the replies.

That's probably it...I hit the surfaces I was joining with a wire brush...but that might not have been enough.

Next time I'll hit it with the grinder.
are you using gas or flux wire??? if flux you really need a clean surface

when youre welding does it kick back,, if so turn down the wire speed or increase the temp

does it burn the wire to fast,, if so turn up the speed or turn down the temp,,,

point is play with speeds and temp to match the material thickness,

and watch your stinger angles,,, not to much but not straight up,,,

Get a decent welder and ditch the flux core.
I bought a Hobart 210 and couldnt get it to weld for shit until I started using shield gas.
It made a world of difference!!! I'm no expert but I've welded leaf spring mounts that have endured a shitload of abuse in some serious off road conditions.
You can see the difference here. The left is with shielding gas the right with flux core in the exact same conditions. The porosity with the flux core is ridiculous!!!
Oh...when in doubt turn up the heat!!

9B9E021D-D91E-40B9-B532-2F54F02F3973.jpeg

Attachments

• 9B9E021D-D91E-40B9-B532-2F54F02F3973.jpeg
    9B9E021D-D91E-40B9-B532-2F54F02F3973.jpeg
    237.2 KB · Views: 43
Get a decent welder and ditch the flux core.
I bought a Hobart 210 and couldnt get it to weld for shit until I started using shield gas.
It made a world of difference!!! I'm no expert but I've welded leaf spring mounts that have endured a shitload of abuse in some serious off road conditions.
You can see the difference here. The left is with shielding gas the right with flux core in the exact same conditions. The porosity with the flux core is ridiculous!!!
Oh...when in doubt turn up the heat!!

View attachment 417719

You can see where I turned up the shielding gas from the fourth bead to the third bead going from left to right.

Sure, it's joined together...but man...I just cannot get the hang of this wire feed welder...

View attachment 417657View attachment 417658View attachment 417659

Any advice is appreciated. I don't do a lot of welding...but this is just terrible.
Mine are a lot like buggers holding hands. One thing it looks like you didn't do is clean the surfaces to be welded. Dirt and rust just won't ever weld fer shit.

I've always heard them referred to as seagull droppings.

I learned using stick welding and that's the way I welded everything for many years. When the boss need something welded he had me do it. I was even certified on high pressure pipe.
When wire feed welding got popular I tried it, but never could get the hang of it. My welds always looked like amature hour. ... :cool:

I learned using stick welding and that's the way I welded everything for many years. When the boss need something welded he had me do it. I was even certified on high pressure pipe.
When wire feed welding got popular I tried it, but never could get the hang of it. My welds always looked like amature hour. ... :cool:

If you can stick weld better than mig congratulations.
I hate stick welding!!!
I'd want to learn how to mig but I really dont do any welding that requires that kind of precision.

Forum List

Back