N.Y. Restaurant Owners Plead for Mercy as Gov. Cuomo Tightens Screws on Wages

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
their dictator doesn't care how many jobs the little peons lose. his beholden the UNIONS, the mob and every other criminal element who put him in office. keep voting for the dem/commie party and keep cutting your own throat

snip:
Organized labor, fast food workers and elected officials gather July 12, 2015, to celebrate the New York State Department of Labor wage board's recommendation for a $15 per hour minimum wage statewide by 2021. (a katz/Shutterstock.com)

More than 100 restaurant owners in the state of New York are begging Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) not to force them to pay their waiters and waitresses $15 an hour. But it’s doubtful he heard them over the roar of union workers at rallies Jan. 4 supporting Cuomo’s call for a statewide $15 an hour minimum wage.

Melissa Fleischut, president and CEO of the New York State Restaurant Association, can see the $15 an hour wage coming, but she’s hoping for a five-year moratorium for people who make their livings on tips.

She said her organization’s members would be crushed by a $15 an hour wage mandate, on top of the 50 percent increase in wages for what are known as "tipped workers" that went into effect the last day of December 2015.

The cash wage for tipped employees was raised from $5.00 to $7.50 on Dec. 31.

“The industry needs time to adjust to this dramatic increase,” Fleischut said.

She warned that if Cuomo follows the Dec. 31 raise with a mandate to double wages for tipped workers, the same people Cuomo says he wants to help are going to lose their jobs.

Fleischut said restaurant owners were already looking for ways to cut back because of the Dec. 31 wage edict, like telling customers they no longer need tip servers to replacing wait staff with tablets at every table.

“It’s hard to imagine any business giving half of their labor force a 50 percent raise overnight, but that’s the reality the hospitality industry is facing at the moment,” said Fleischut. "Any further increase will just exacerbate these problems.”

American Action Forum economists Douglas Holtz-Eakin and Ben Gitis believe job losses in New York’s restaurants could be just the beginning of a boomerang nightmare of unintended consequences.

They warned the state of New York could lose as least 200,000 jobs if a statewide $15 an hour minimum wage is imposed. Other economists warn the state could see close to 600,000 people thrown out of work.

But none of those scenarios is playing into Cuomo’s thinking.

all of it here

NYC, the most expensive city on the planet can't afford a 15 dollar an hour wage, yet a bottle of water is 9 dollars..

NYC, the most expensive city on the planet can't afford a 15 dollar an hour wage, yet a bottle of water is 9 dollars..

Actually, if they want to make a serious argument, some numbers on where their money goes ie how much of their expenses is wages, would be helpful.

IMO, I would think that wages should be very high in a place like New York, because of the cost of living,

Or New York should be smaller as people move away because of lack of service, like Restaurants.

Why do you suppose so many people who work in NYC, would rather face an over one hour commute in heavy traffic than find an apartment there? I don't recall the media talking about the luxurious life behind small restaurant owners. If small businesses and restaurant owners can't manage their budgets to afford the location they are located at, there are plenty of other cities they can be more successful at. Close your doors and create jobs elsewhere. You will have to layoff some dependable hard working employees, but it's not personal it's just business.

Why do you suppose so many people who work in NYC, would rather face an over one hour commute in heavy traffic than find an apartment there? I don't recall the media talking about the luxurious life behind small restaurant owners. If small businesses and restaurant owners can't manage their budgets to afford the location they are located at, there are plenty of other cities they can be more successful at. Close your doors and create jobs elsewhere. You will have to layoff some dependable hard working employees, but it's not personal it's just business.

And if you want those servers to put up with an hour commute, you need to make it worth their while.

Or let New York shrink.

The folks I talked to while there were not American born..Their biggest gripe was the cost of housing....One Ukrainian Jew was so skinny I thought I was shaking a skeleton hand...

The folks I talked to while there were not American born..Their biggest gripe was the cost of housing....One Ukrainian Jew was so skinny I thought I was shaking a skeleton hand...

Of course. When you consider the cost of living, the wages they offer are complete crap.

So they are only "attractive" to desperate immigrants.

Curtain immigration and wages will rise.

Of course. When you consider the cost of living, the wages they offer are complete crap.

So they are only "attractive" to desperate immigrants.

Curtain immigration and wages will rise.
Can I use a Roman blind?

And if you want those servers to put up with an hour commute, you need to make it worth their while.

Or let New York shrink.

If they are servers in NYC, unless their spouse is a CEO, Doctor, Lawyer, or similar profession, their commute is longer than an hour. There is a reason why they refer to southern Connecticut as the Gold Coast.

Most people that are in favor of such a large increase, most likely don't know what small business owners have to put themselves through to keep their personal restaurant afloat. Servers don't have to put up with that financial pressure, will only do what they are scheduled for to work and go home. They don't take their job home, do the prep work, seek out new venders that meet their budget, how to manage and keep all their employees or cut their staff. Servers got the easier part of the deal, rather than opening up their own restaurant.

Or let New York shrink.

If they are servers in NYC, unless their spouse is a CEO, Doctor, Lawyer, or similar profession, their commute is longer than an hour. There is a reason why they refer to southern Connecticut as the Gold Coast.

Most people that are in favor of such a large increase, most likely don't know what small business owners have to put themselves through to keep their personal restaurant afloat. Servers don't have to put up with that financial pressure, will only do what they are scheduled for to work and go home. They don't take their job home, do the prep work, seek out new venders that meet their budget, how to manage and keep all their employees or cut their staff. Servers got the easier part of the deal.

I'm not convinced that New York is a sustainable model, without the influx of constant cheap immigrant labor.

Raise the wages. Let the workers make some money. Raise prices and pass it on to the rich dems who vote for this crap.

Maybe they pay it with a smile, feeling good about supporting the poor servers.

Or maybe the city dies faster.

their dictator doesn't care how many jobs the little peons lose. his beholden the UNIONS, the mob and every other criminal element who put him in office. keep voting for the dem/commie party and keep cutting your own throat

snip:
Organized labor, fast food workers and elected officials gather July 12, 2015, to celebrate the New York State Department of Labor wage board's recommendation for a $15 per hour minimum wage statewide by 2021. (a katz/Shutterstock.com)

More than 100 restaurant owners in the state of New York are begging Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) not to force them to pay their waiters and waitresses $15 an hour. But it’s doubtful he heard them over the roar of union workers at rallies Jan. 4 supporting Cuomo’s call for a statewide $15 an hour minimum wage.

Melissa Fleischut, president and CEO of the New York State Restaurant Association, can see the $15 an hour wage coming, but she’s hoping for a five-year moratorium for people who make their livings on tips.

She said her organization’s members would be crushed by a $15 an hour wage mandate, on top of the 50 percent increase in wages for what are known as "tipped workers" that went into effect the last day of December 2015.

The cash wage for tipped employees was raised from $5.00 to $7.50 on Dec. 31.

“The industry needs time to adjust to this dramatic increase,” Fleischut said.

She warned that if Cuomo follows the Dec. 31 raise with a mandate to double wages for tipped workers, the same people Cuomo says he wants to help are going to lose their jobs.

Fleischut said restaurant owners were already looking for ways to cut back because of the Dec. 31 wage edict, like telling customers they no longer need tip servers to replacing wait staff with tablets at every table.

“It’s hard to imagine any business giving half of their labor force a 50 percent raise overnight, but that’s the reality the hospitality industry is facing at the moment,” said Fleischut. "Any further increase will just exacerbate these problems.”

American Action Forum economists Douglas Holtz-Eakin and Ben Gitis believe job losses in New York’s restaurants could be just the beginning of a boomerang nightmare of unintended consequences.

They warned the state of New York could lose as least 200,000 jobs if a statewide $15 an hour minimum wage is imposed. Other economists warn the state could see close to 600,000 people thrown out of work.

But none of those scenarios is playing into Cuomo’s thinking.

all of it here

I am totally in favor of EACH STATE setting their minimum wage standard.
I AM totally against the Federal Minimum wage because EACH state is different.
ONE size does NOT fit all.

Forum List

Back