Native Americans on the warpath over Met museum "Apache" curator

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021

Patricia Marroquin Norby, Metropolitan Museum of Art's first Native American curator, has been accused of lying about her roots. According to New York Post, campaigners are raising questions, saying the 53-year-old does not belong to a federally recognized tribe in the US.

Native American groups told The New York Post that her Native American roots are 'made up'.

"She is definitely not Native American," the media outlet quoted a critic as saying. Kathy Griffin, a member of the Cherokee Nation who compiled a genealogy of Marroquin Norby’s family, told the Post: “With all of the Native American scholars out there, we really wonder why the museum chose Patricia, who is definitely not Native American.”

The Met has weighed in on the row, insisting that she is telling the truth because she is a descendent of the 'Pureapacha peoples'. But the tribe, rooted in Mexico and parts of Texas, is not among the 574 officially recognized as being Native American.

Norby took to social media this week to slam the allegations against her, claiming she is being targeted by a group of Native American women trying to 'cancel' her.

She denied the questioning of her roots, and said she is proud of her 'Purepacha and Nde family roots from Mexico, northern Mexico and Texas.'......'I am not going to hide my identity or family history in shame,' she added.

85439579-13469039-image-a-16_1716930450643.jpg

Note how it's other native americans ripping her apart. Injun crab mentality is hilarious, you'd think after getting their asses kicked by the white devil they'd wise up and realize how this cultural problem of theirs helped to destroy them.

This doesn't appear to rise to anywhere near the Elizabeth Warren level of deception.

I mean to me she looks a lot more NA than Rachel Dolezal looks black.

One of my favorite "NAs" was Italian and likely did more for the country than real NAs of era.

Patricia Marroquin Norby, Metropolitan Museum of Art's first Native American curator, has been accused of lying about her roots. According to New York Post, campaigners are raising questions, saying the 53-year-old does not belong to a federally recognized tribe in the US.

Native American groups told The New York Post that her Native American roots are 'made up'.

"She is definitely not Native American," the media outlet quoted a critic as saying. Kathy Griffin, a member of the Cherokee Nation who compiled a genealogy of Marroquin Norby’s family, told the Post: “With all of the Native American scholars out there, we really wonder why the museum chose Patricia, who is definitely not Native American.”

The Met has weighed in on the row, insisting that she is telling the truth because she is a descendent of the 'Pureapacha peoples'. But the tribe, rooted in Mexico and parts of Texas, is not among the 574 officially recognized as being Native American.

Norby took to social media this week to slam the allegations against her, claiming she is being targeted by a group of Native American women trying to 'cancel' her.

She denied the questioning of her roots, and said she is proud of her 'Purepacha and Nde family roots from Mexico, northern Mexico and Texas.'......'I am not going to hide my identity or family history in shame,' she added.

Note how it's other native americans ripping her apart. Injun crab mentality is hilarious, you'd think after getting their asses kicked by the white devil they'd wise up and realize how this cultural problem of theirs helped to destroy them.

This doesn't appear to rise to anywhere near the Elizabeth Warren level of deception.

One of my favorite "NAs" was Italian and likely did more for the country than real NAs of era.

Aren't most Hispanics, except the ones from Spain itself, a mix of Spanish and Native genes?

Aren't most Hispanics, except the ones from Spain itself, a mix of Spanish and Native genes?
I don't think that those natives are counted a an US tribe. I don't know where the cut-off line is given the mexican land taken by the US.

Wow due, even the headline is racist.

I don't think that those natives are counted a an US tribe. I don't know where the cut-off line is given the mexican land taken by the US.

At least if she's of Hispanic descent there is some native DNA in her. As opposed to some of the outright fakes we have also seen recently.

One thing the Spanish and Portuguese had far more of than the English was no qualms about mating with the locals.

Its pretty simple; few Mexicans would have been caught dead north of Tampico until the U.S. rid the Southwest of these feral savages. As for Apaches, they were mostly wiped out by the Comanches and driven west, where they preyed on Navahoes and other tribes. Both Apaches and Comanches raided deep into Mexico, to the outskirts of Mexico City and Guadalajara in fact.

595aab69dd8c054d48d3c23e5de0a5b2.jpg

This predates a lot of the horse peoples conquests, aka Comanches, Sioux, and other empire builders. This is 300 years before Santa Ana. The site laughably claims white displaced them, which of course just ridiculous bullshit. Several Apaches tribes were wiped out or absorbed.

Looks close enough to me to be Apache.

Last edited:
I grew up in the southwest where there is a lot of Indians.
Members of the various tribes don't like the Indians from other tribes and make derogatory comments about them.
The only thing all the Indians, regardless of tribe, have in common is they love drinking the white man's Fire Water.

Isn't it a little ironic to be relying on the US Federal government to determine who is a true Native American and who is not?

Members of the various tribes don't like the Indians from other tribes and make derogatory comments about them.
The only thing all the Indians, regardless of tribe, have in common is they love drinking the white man's Fire Water.
my roomie at byu drank like a fish.

Example:

The fact is many of these tribes still exist only because of Federal efforts keeping them from wiping each other out. The Osage for instance were on the verge of extinction by the Sioux, when the Feds rescued them, down to maybe 300 or so.

The fact is many of these tribes still exist only because of Federal efforts keeping them from wiping each other out. The Osage for instance were on the verge of extinction by the Sioux, when the Feds rescued them, down to maybe 300 or so.
Even today, inner-Tribal politics are way worse than Repub. vs Dem.
You can't get 2 Indians to agree on anything.
Which is why many times the BIA has to get involved and make the decision for them.
Of course then they are united in hating the white man for interfering. lol

Forum List

Back