New car theft technique.............

ABikerSailor

Diamond Member
Aug 26, 2008
Newberry, SC
I was watching the news yesterday and came across this little gem. It seems that car thieves have now figured out a way to steal the signal from your key fob by standing near you while you lock your car, and they follow you for a couple of seconds while the download of the signal then completes.

After they see you go inside, they simply walk up to the car, press a button on their device, and they are in your car, as well as able to start it.

There are currently around 17 different vehicles that are susceptible to this kind of car theft.

Mystery device could let thieves get in your car in seconds

There..............I've done a good deed for today by bringing you this PSA.

I would never trust anything that is completely wireless like that. Are people so lazy they can't use a set of keys anymore?

You know what the really scary thing is? Not only can you get into the car to start stuff, but it will also work for the ignition as well.

Agreed Hawk.............people ARE getting lazy, and technology is why. However, that might also end up being their downfall.

I hate pockets. No pockets, no place for keys. WTB implanted credit cards, id, and car keys please. Also, if they could put a cellphone into my brain that'd be awesome.

The solution, however, is simple. As you get out of the car just use the lock button on the door to lock it. This does not send out an electric symbol to be picked up.

A friend mine bought a new car and let me take if for a test drive. All I had to do was leave the key in my pocket and press a button in the car to start it. Is this what the OP is talking about?

I still need to stick the key in the ignition for my car and actually turn it. Although I can lock and unlock the door with a push button. I assume this is not vulnerable.

I would never trust anything that is completely wireless like that. Are people so lazy they can't use a set of keys anymore?
I agree

I do love the remote door locks but am nervous in a car with remote starting

I prefer to turn the key....same as the door to my house
I prefer a mechanical lock to an electronic one

A friend mine bought a new car and let me take if for a test drive. All I had to do was leave the key in my pocket and press a button in the car to start it. Is this what the OP is talking about?

I still need to stick the key in the ignition for my car and actually turn it. Although I can lock and unlock the door with a push button. I assume this is not vulnerable.

No, your key fob is exactly what he is talking about. The signal it sends to your car lock to unlock the door can be intercepted.

Actually, ANY system that uses a fob to open the car is vulnerable. It's not the key pattern that they hijack, it's the signal that the key fob uses that they steal. Because of that, they are able to get into your car, but the computer brain will also allow that same signal to start the car.

And.................even if they can't steal your car, they can still get in and take all the stuff that is in there. Remember, this is Christmas, when most of the shopping for the year is done.

Forum List

Back