Newly discovered giant rat can weigh 2 pounds and cracks open coconuts

Don't think that "giant rats" are a new thing.

Swedes catch 40cm 'rat from hell' in their kitchen

a1e47ee4002dd77d4b2b3809453cd3e13c5219d86e353972b5fb4bd0a4fdae88.jpg

How cute! I honestly don't know why some people are so afraid of rats and mice. I mean, sure don't try to pick one up or pat one or anything, but to scream and/or freak out at the sight of one always made me feel the person was pretty silly. They aren't that much different looking from a squirrel really.

Because they are nasty and diseased. Doesn't bother me to be considered silly for not liking rats and mice. Oh and you can get rabies from squirrels too. I sit and watch them in the trees daily, and they are cute, but I would not want to touch or hold one.

How cute! I honestly don't know why some people are so afraid of rats and mice. I mean, sure don't try to pick one up or pat one or anything, but to scream and/or freak out at the sight of one always made me feel the person was pretty silly. They aren't that much different looking from a squirrel really.

Because they are nasty and diseased. Doesn't bother me to be considered silly for not liking rats and mice. Oh and you can get rabies from squirrels too. I sit and watch them in the trees daily, and they are cute, but I would not want to touch or hold one.

Pet rats aren't nasty or diseased. They are actually pretty clean as far as pets go.

Pet rats aren't nasty or diseased. They are actually pretty clean as far as pets go.

I was generalizing because you said how people react if they see one. Generally you do not just see one. If it's a pet, it has a home it lives in, ya know?

Newly discovered giant rat can weigh 2 pounds and crack open coconuts
Science

Michael Irving

5 hours ago
3 pictures

giant-rat-1.jpg

An artist's rendition of the newly discovered species of giant rat, named Uromys vika(Credit: Velizar Simeonovski)
Solomon Islands locals have long spoken about giant rats that scurry around in trees and crack open coconuts, but it was never clear whether such a species actually existed. Now, scientists have found the creatures and confirmed that they are in fact a brand new species.

opt-out-icon2.png

in-art-soundanimation-icon-41x48.gif

The new species, dubbed Uromys vika, can weigh up to 1 kg (2.2 lb) and measures about 45.7 cm (1.5 ft) from its nose to the tip of its tail – for reference, an typical adult male brown rat weighs on average 350 g (12 oz), while a typical adult male black rat weighs between 75 and 230 g (2.6 to 8 oz).

Really cool!

What does this have to do with Las Vegas, Puerto Rico, or the NFL?

Rats and mice are fine, as long as I always know where they are (no surprises), and they don't run up my pant leg.

Rats and mice are fine, as long as I always know where they are (no surprises), and they don't run up my pant leg.

Like spiders?? xotoxi

FUCKING FUCK!!!

I was in my RIDE ON kayak, and a spider came out of a little crack. I freaked out that it would run up my shorts and nestle in my junk, but I stayed calm enough that I didn't flip the kayak.

(got rid of my closed cockpit kayaks because I didn't want to be near unseen spiders)

I was generalizing because you said how people react if they see one. Generally you do not just see one. If it's a pet, it has a home it lives in, ya know?

Are you offended or something? Well, yes, I think they are cute and find it kind of silly if someone screams if they see a rat.

Like spiders?? xotoxi

FUCKING FUCK!!!

I was in my RIDE ON kayak, and a spider came out of a little crack. I freaked out that it would run up my shorts and nestle in my junk, but I stayed calm enough that I didn't flip the kayak.

(got rid of my closed cockpit kayaks because I didn't want to be near unseen spiders)

:lol: :lol:

I bet you wish I didn't know. I personally am happy to find someone worse than me about them. Remember that I had 32 brown recluse bites at once???
I was scared of them before then, but now It is to a phobia!!

Are you offended or something? Well, yes, I think they are cute and find it kind of silly if someone screams if they see a rat.

Of course I am not offended. LOL You would not want to be near me seeing them though..........wild ones...not pets. I would probably break both our necks trying to get away. :lol:

Like spiders?? xotoxi

FUCKING FUCK!!!

I bet you wish I didn't know. I personally am happy to find someone worse than me about them. Remember that I had 32 brown recluse bites at once???

I enter this thread now with trepidation with my eyes staring well off to the side of the monitor, just in case a fuckwad wants to be a jackass and post a spider picture.

If they do, will you ban them?

Like spiders?? xotoxi

FUCKING FUCK!!!

I enter this thread now with trepidation with my eyes staring well off to the side of the monitor, just in case a fuckwad wants to be a jackass and post a spider picture.

If they do, will you ban them?

:lmao: No but I will delete it.

Forum List

Back