Not all 'greenies' are bad or operated by greedy peoples

RodISHI

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 2008
Everything needs balance and long term considerations not just political rhetoric. Fossil fuels are not going out for awhile yet and politics needs to quit stressing the poor and middle class with their corporate BS.

Clothes that were not usable used to be and still are in certain areas used to make throw rugs. Great grandma used the artistic nature she had to keep textiles upcycled. "Waste not want not" was a way of life and that was passed down through several generations but it seems as though the last forty years that attitude has been tossed aside and it all hits the dump if not usable right now.

This lady featured in the video in Australia is using her head and talents to find solutions to waste issues.

Welcome to the great depression generation. They tossed nothing that could be reused.

When my granddad died I found can after can (reused 1 gallon metal oil cans repurposed as storage bins) filled with bent nails he had straightened to be reused. Each one had been coated with bee's wax to make them drive easier.

That wild-eyed woman in the vid looks to be putting out one hell of a carbon footprint.....Just sayin'. ;)

Welcome to the great depression generation. They tossed nothing that could be reused.

When my granddad died I found can after can (reused 1 gallon metal oil cans repurposed as storage bins) filled with bent nails he had straightened to be reused. Each one had been coated with bee's wax to make them drive easier.

That wild-eyed woman in the vid looks to be putting out one hell of a carbon footprint.....Just sayin'. ;)
My grandpa had me helping him pull nails from used lumber when I was four years old. He also showed me how to straighten the bent ones to be reused. I like screws vs nails myself when building stuff.

My goose's house is made from pallets, a few old windows and some used tin for the roof. I did thus a few years back, Rod helped me with the roof rafters and putting roof on. Nothing on scale with using tires to smelt with but it did keep a few pallets from the dump.
Goose house 3.PNG

Goose house 2.PNG

My grandpa had me helping him pull nails from used lumber when I was four years old. He also showed me how to straighten the bent ones to be reused. I like screws vs nails myself when building stuff.

My goose's house is made from pallets, a few old windows and some used tin for the roof. I did thus a few years back, Rod helped me with the roof rafters and putting roof on. Nothing on scale with using tires to smelt with but it did keep a few pallets from the dump.
View attachment 671440

View attachment 671439
Needs more Round-up. ;)

I used to make stuff out of "old" 4' X 4' pallets when I worked for Dupont. We had them special-made by Smalley to be able to withstand the weight of a pallet of automotive paint or primer.

The boards were all 3/4" oak and cost about $125.00 each back in the 80s.....Once they reached 5-years old they were scrapped.

Needs more Round-up. ;)

I used to make stuff out of "old" 4' X 4' pallets when I worked for Dupont. We had them special-made by Smalley to be able to withstand the weight of a pallet of automotive paint or primer.

The boards were all 3/4" oak and cost about $125.00 each back in the 80s.....Once they reached 5-years old they were scrapped.
It was my first try at a building. It needs paint but I got sick last summer so that didn't get done. Perhaps I'll get a chance for that this summer before its over.

I saved the oak ones for trying to build mini barn but we also get oak from a lumber mill super cheap for the wood stove and some of it is pretty nice. Just haven't got that far in my buildings for the critters yet.

I built this the year before for tossing pop cans in.

cat recylce box 1.jpg
cat recylce box 2.jpg

It was my first try at a building. It needs paint but I got sick last summer so that didn't get done. Perhaps I'll get a chance for that this summer before its over.

I saved the oak ones for trying to build mini barn but we also get oak from a lumber mill super cheap for the wood stove and some of it is pretty nice. Just haven't got that far in my buildings for the critters yet.

I built this the year before for tossing pop cans in.

View attachment 671444
View attachment 671445
One of my friends built a chicken coup out of pallets last year.....He just used the same sealer/stain he used on his deck.....He was smart about it though. He stained the pre-cut boards before he assembled it.

One of my friends built a chicken coup out of pallets last year.....He just used the same sealer/stain he used on his deck.....He was smart about it though. He stained the pre-cut boards before he assembled it.
My chicken house is made from excess flooring (found in a dumpster) that is a resin type stuff they use in hog houses. Rod built it for me about ten years ago. Darn thing will last forever.

I decided coating all the pallet boards beforehand is the best way to go too. I'm treating with boric acid and then lime or a paint I've mixed lime in. I'll do the flowers or designs on the buildings after they are built.

I am all for repurposing. My problem with most of the self-proclaimed environmentalist is that they are singularly focused on the oil industry and really don't have a big picture view. For instance, we must kill off Exxon to "save plants and animals" but they just loves them new highways and "infrastructure" that plows under plant and animal habitat.

I am all for repurposing. My problem with most of the self-proclaimed environmentalist is that they are singularly focused on the oil industry and really don't have a big picture view. For instance, we must kill off Exxon to "save plants and animals" but they just loves them new highways and "infrastructure" that plows under plant and animal habitat.
I agree and most of that out there in politics is just a money grab for taxpayer funds. Too much corruption taking place on too many levels.

I like the idea of recycled plastics. If there was a feasible way for individuals to do it too that would be neat.

Forum List

Back