The Bio-sludge problem

RodISHI

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 2008
This has been a problem in the environment for years and very few municipalities attempt to take it seriously. Just calling it organic and pouring it on crops is not wise at all. To be safe poop waste compost should set for three years unless heat treated. Pathogens and Diseases in Feces and Urine — Sanitation Health in Transition

Not only pathogens but also heavy metals and other pollutants in soil for crops grows into the crops and does not stay where placed. It will and can get into the water supply through runoff. Health hazards of hexavalent chromium (Cr (VI)) and its microbial reduction

I've heard about this. Stuff is supposed to be sterilized but some guy got some to put on his lawn and hundreds of tomato and pot plants sprouted.

I use milorganite fertilizer almost exclusively. It is made from sewage sludge.

The golf course by us when I was growing up got the bright idea to use free sludge from a local Miller brewery that used to be in the area. The neighborhood ended up smelling like a frat house for a month and they had all sorts of disease issues. The yeast or sugar maybe. IDK. I just remeber seeing a bunch of white thready looking stuff everywhere and someone saying it was some turfgrass disease caused by that sludge.

Forum List

Back