Now this is Comedy, CNBC opts out of Nielson raitings

teapartysamurai

Gold Member
Mar 27, 2010
Read it all here:

CNBC to Stop Using Nielsen for Ratings - WSJ

Now this is hilarious. Outlets such as CNBC complain that Nielson doesn't count those who want CNBC "out of home." They don't count those who watch at airports and offices

Now, maybe i'm behind the times and not thinking of those watching on tablets in airports, BUT what I assume they are talking about is those watching TVs tuned to CNBC at airports.

That, doesn't seem to me, like it should count anyway. You don't have a choice what you watch on a airport TV. Same with TVS (if any) on at the office.

I think this boils down, to a low ratings network, finally giving up on Nielson, because Nielson won't tell them what they want to hear.

I used to work at a telemarketing place as a teenager that took calls for the NRA, and the only thing we were allowed to watch was Fox News. Does that count towards their ratings now? :dunno:

Read it all here:

Now this is hilarious. Outlets such as CNBC complain that Nielson doesn't count those who want CNBC "out of home." They don't count those who watch at airports and offices

Now, maybe i'm behind the times and not thinking of those watching on tablets in airports, BUT what I assume they are talking about is those watching TVs tuned to CNBC at airports.

That, doesn't seem to me, like it should count anyway. You don't have a choice what you watch on a airport TV. Same with TVS (if any) on at the office.

I think this boils down, to a low ratings network, finally giving up on Nielson, because Nielson won't tell them what they want to hear.

Yeah, it does seem that CNBC doesn't like the methodology of Neison, so it's switching to a company called Cogent Reports.
It seems Fox Busines has cut into their audience, which shouldn't be a surprise.
However, from the OP's link: "CNBC’s ratings still handily beat its two competitors, Fox Business Network and Bloomberg L.P.’s Bloomberg Television. Bloomberg isn’t measured by Nielsen, and never has been. Fox Business is measured by Nielsen and has no plans to change." And also there is this:
Ratings Sag for Cable-TV Business News
The U.S. stock market is soaring, but ratings have sunk for the TV networks dedicated to covering it.
In the third quarter, CNBC, the dominant business-news channel, hit a 20-year low in its target demographic of adults 25 to 54 years old, according to Nielsen Holdings NV. Since 2008, average total daytime viewership has fallen more than 50%—to 169,000 from 348,000 —at CNBC, which commands three-quarters of the audience among business-news networks, according to Nielsen.
Six-year-old Fox Business Network remains on a long-term growth trajectory, but its average total daytime audience has declined from last year—to 58,000 from 71,000—and has fallen short of some media buyers' expectations.
Bloomberg LP, meanwhile, is rethinking the business model of its TV channel, having failed to turn a profit or draw more than 10% of the audience for TV business news despite being on the air for nearly two decades, according to people familiar with the matter. Nielsen doesn't release Bloomberg TV's ratings.
Ratings Sag for Cable-TV Business News - WSJ

So in the end, this OP should have taken in the entire picture while starting a thread to display his/her hate for anything to do with NBC. Instead, we get an intellectually dishonest OP.

Read it all here:

CNBC is the only thing I have on at work.

Read it all here:

Not telling 'em what they want to hear? Cancel their ass! And by the way...I want CNBC, PMSNBC, CNN, PBS out of MY HOME...but I don't have a choice. They are included on the basic package.:rofl: I just don't watch them.

Read it all here:

Not telling 'em what they want to hear? Cancel their ass! And by the way...I want CNBC, PMSNBC, CNN, PBS out of MY HOME...but I don't have a choice. They are included on the basic package.:rofl: I just don't watch them.

That's why I cancelled cable a long time ago. I don't like paying for what I don't watch.

I've been to a lot of airports but don't remember ever seeing CNBC on the Telescreens. Saw a lot of Fox Noise and occasionally CNN.

Ratings are used for one purpose, and that is to determine ad rates. So naturally every outlet is going to want their ratings as high as they can get 'em, because the higher the ratings, the more you can charge for ads.

And btw Nielsen (OP can't even spell it right) like any ratings service is something the TV channel pays for (hires) ---not something you "opt" in or out of.

I've been to a lot of airports but don't remember ever seeing CNBC on the Telescreens. Saw a lot of Fox Noise and occasionally CNN.

Ratings are used for one purpose, and that is to determine ad rates. So naturally every outlet is going to want their ratings as high as they can get 'em, because the higher the ratings, the more you can charge for ads.

And btw Nielsen (OP can't even spell it right) like any ratings service is something the TV channel pays for (hires) ---not something you "opt" in or out of.

Which is why FoxNews is so elite.

Not "elite" -- the word you're looking for is "expensive". If you're an ad buyer that is.

We were a Nielson family. Everthing each member watches or listens to on air is tracked all day.

Not "elite" -- the word you're looking for is "expensive". If you're an ad buyer that is.

Or Dish TV! :dunno:

I never did find out why the word "comedy" is in the thread title. Where's the comedy?

Not unless your values consist of "how much money can I make regardless what it takes to get it".

If being ranked first in viewership is a bad "value" any person or organization in this life should cease striving to be on top. But then we always knew that was not a liberal value...since liberals seem to have no values.

Not unless your values consist of "how much money can I make regardless what it takes to get it".

If being ranked first in viewership is a bad "value" any person or organization in this life should cease striving to be on top. But then we always knew that was not a liberal value...since liberals seem to have no values.

Who said "bad"?
Oh wait I remember -- you did.
You said "élite" too. That was hilarious. Say more. :popcorn:

Actually, CNBC has more than twice the viewers as Fox Business.

Ratings have dropped for business TV all around. That's fascinating given that stocks are at all time highs.

Ratings have dropped for business TV all around. That's fascinating given that stocks are at all time highs.

I think the reason that the ratings for the networks that focused on Wall Street dwindled, is because only a small segment of the American public is seeing any increase financially, by the rise of stocks.

I think the reason that the ratings for the networks that focused on Wall Street dwindled, is because only a small segment of the American public is seeing any increase financially, by the rise of stocks.

I agree. That's why it's fascinating. So many sold at the bottom and never got back in, they don't want to see it go up.

Forum List

Back